So apparently, Tokido is picking up Killer Instinct

I first met Tokido in 2007 at EVO playing in a Samurai Showdown 6 tournament, and then a NeoGeo Battle Coliseum tournament.

We spoke the following year a bit while we both waited for our matches in a KoF98 side tournament.

He plays a lot of games very, very well. Super nice, too!

4 Likes

One impression I got was that even for veteran FG players first impressions do matter a lot.

I would imagine a high level player of one game would know that his first impression regarding mechanics of another might be a little off since he has no knowledge of those mechanics but it seems that even those players will give a lot of value to first impressions.

In particular I thought Mago’s comment on the work to open up your opponent being “wasted” by being broken very interesting. I’m curious to know how much effort he made into evaluating why the game is balanced this way. Since in KI it is so much easier to open up your opponent my impression is that he made that comment thinking about SFIV, where if you could break a combo it would be a very frustrating game since defense is already so strong.

On topic, I’m really glad Tokido seems enthusiastic about the game. As I mentioned above, his opinion matters a lot for getting Japanese gamers interested. When S3 comes out, if Tokido is enjoying the game and telling people about it on TopangaTV, you can bet the PC version will help sell it over there. Obviously nobody is going to buy an Xbox One in Japan for this game, so the PC version is super important (even though PC gaming is less popular there than other parts of the world, it’s still way more popular than the Xbox One).

In particular, Tokido seemed to enjoy explaining how to do the shadow linker breaks. Like he was having fun rhythmically tapping to show the timing and stuff. That was one of the big selling points of the game to me (I love rhythm games and parrying stuff) so I liked hearing him talk about that part with enthusiasm. The game also does a really good job at the presentation of breaking shadow moves (with the 1, 2, 3 thing). Gets you feeling excited.

Mago’s initial hesitation about the game makes a lot of sense to me. I think those fears are generally alleviated just by playing the game for a while, though. This isn’t SF4 offense where your openings are rare and extremely precious
 he’s probably trying to imagine doing a Yang combo and just getting randomly broken because he chained shorts into rekka, which I agree sounds terrible and not fun. But once you sort of get into the KI systems, you understand why combo breakers work with the rest of the game’s pace and flow.

They also talked a bit about how western audiences like “macho” characters, whereas Japanese audiences just like cool/mystical characters (they mentioned Dr. Strange from UMvC3 as a favorite in Japan). I think that’s probably why a lot of Japanese players have gravitated to Omen, Riptor, Spinal and Shadow Jago, but strayed away from otherwise very strong characters like Sadira (who is basically just a mean-looking woman). Definitely fits the description to me. Hopefully S3 has a good balance of macho and magical characters in it.

1 Like

Lol
Japanese games have PLENTY of ridiculously non-“mystical” macho main characters. C’mon bro.

Go tell Tokido/Mago that, I’m just telling you what they said in the interview.

If Streetfigher V was developed in the West (hypothetically, in it’s exact form), they would find something else to play.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll pass the word along.

@TheKeits

One thing that doesn’t come out well in my summary is that Tokido continuously was stressing the point to his audience of an entry barrier to KI.

He was alluding to a combination of things: the transitions from SF combo mechanics to KI breaker system (1), new terminology (2), character specific traits (3) and sheer number of special moves available and relevant to the the breaker system (4).

Especially the new terminology seemed quite a hurdle to Mago.

Definitely, a positive attitude on Tokido’s side as he enjoys KI but Tokido seemed very honest to Mago and Momochi that you have to embrace a different philosophy to play KI. Almost every comment he made was accompanied by him saying something on the learning curve.

I just wanted to add this for what it’s worth.

1 Like

To be honest, This is one of the things that sold me in KI as well. It reminds me of a parry, and the 1-2-3! of the announcer. It’s SO hype when you can pull it off, especially the multi-hitting ones, like Thunder’s Shadow Ankle Slicer. When near Danger too, and only 5 seconds left, with an opponent with half a health bar left, and you have no Instinct & One Shadow bar!?

LOL I have to stop before I get too HYPE, and ramble on.

Man I love KI. Hopefully they can see the AMAZING fun we have with this game.

wooow quite intersting taht tokido like the game and is looking to bring more pro japanese player to the game 
 love that . maybe we will have a surprise for evo 2016 on the batch on the tournament

The most important question here is, what is his GAMERTAG? Let’s hunt him down! :slight_smile:

1 Like

He is looking for opponents so that’s no problem

Yes, and even more, MS should use the opportunity to have him promote KI.

3 Likes

It is indeed a strange comment giving the fact he plays SFIV. He plays Yang which I don’t know how to position in the “macho” metter but Yang is just a character, if you look into the entire roster there are plenty of macho characters or otherwise just mean characters. All SF bosses except Bison/Vega are macho characters (SF1 had Sagat) and even Bison is a mix of the two.

If we compare it to KI I don’t believe we have a single macho character. The biggest character is a Babylonian Golem, the second and third are an alien and a native american with the power to call thunders and teleport through ravens and the “Ryu” of this game is basically Chinese, not to mention the Japanese character is a ghost. Maybe Sadira which is just an assassin but we can trace a correlation with SF Gen.

I feel Mago’s comments had nothing to do with the actual origin of each character and it’s role in the game but rather the art style in general. It doesn’t matter that Jago is from Tibet and uses the power of the Tiger, the way he’s drawn is just “western”.

I think art style does come into play, yes. But it’s also how the personality is conveyed. A character like Zangief or Hugo, who are basically just giant muscular dudes, tend to convey a lot of personality because they are a super crazy stereotype or intentionally goofball-y. Zangief wrestles bears and does the cossack dance, and Hugo is everybody’s favorite lovable potato. I can see them liking a character like Aganos because he has some lovable personality behind him. I don’t think that’s true of every KI character though (from a Japanese perspective).

In general, KI does feel (visually) like a very western game, based on 90s western stereotypes, so I can see why a Japanese person might not like it if that aesthetic doesn’t appeal to them. Lots of Americans don’t play anime games for a similar reason, too. (shrug) It is what it is. I think there are characters in there that are less westerny than others, hopefully that’s enough to appeal to them. If you don’t like the characters, then you won’t like the fighting game, even if it’s really good.

@Dancovich @Infilament

“Cheerful”. That is the word Mago used.
(Just added to the summary too) The three were discussing that KI, Marvel and MK characters have a realism that is too dark. According to them, you sort of have to be attracted to one specific character implying that anime fighters generally have more softer or cheerful characters to choose from. With MK or Marvel you have to be lucky to have one such character in the roster. Mago used the word ‘cheerful’ in this context for KI which I think summarizes it well.

And it links to a non-KI discussion they have later in their talk about the personality of a FG character as welk as the age kids are very receptive to try a fighting game. This context becomes clear once they go into this general subject about talent and personality of players

Mago also said the same about the music, not just visuals, in relation to “overseas fighting games”.

Hope this background helps

They might like Kim Wu perhaps. Serious, with a side of Cheerfulness. No? :slight_smile:

Actually, it’s modern Darkstalkers IMO. (Which is a good thing)

BTW, thanks for the translation @BoJima404 .

I spent time wondering what they were saying, lol.

lol, not a bad idea.

You should probably hit up @TempusChaoti @TheKeits @GoogleMyName @rukizzel

Don’t ArcSys games and other anime fighters (as well as Tekken) completely trounce Street Fighter in arcades in Japan?

KOF also follows a similar route, and happens to be extremely popular in Latin America and China, even more so than Street Fighter as well (though they roided up a bunch of people in XII and XIII for some reason).

It makes sense. So I’m just taking a guess, but the popular characters over there based on the information given, as well as spectulation, are:

Shadow Jago
Omen
Riptor

Hisako? Definite Maybe

tokido plays all sorts of dirty stuff, so I dont see this as a special event. He played marvel too, but that has not helped the game very much in japan.