Shadow Meter

You never played Marvel or any of the Arc System games :smile:

1 Like

Iron tager user here.

Hard to get in, butā€¦GIGANTIC TAGER!!!

Marvelā€™s always been too fast, flashy, and unbalanced IMO and Iā€™ve never even heard of the latterā€¦

Guilty Gear and Blazblue are both Arc systemā€™s creations

Ah, so I HAVE heard of them! I actually owned versions of both, but never really played them or delved deep into them because the Japanese flare didnā€™t really appeal to me. I was wondering why the name Tager sounded familiarā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I donā€™t know LCD. I donā€™t know how I feel about this.

On a different note: Maybe changes to the KV Meter, will force people to do longer combos, mixups, manuals, more shadows, Reads and such. Everything. Then people would use Shadow Meter more in order to get more damage.

ā€¦ We earn 0KV for using a Shadow Linker :smiley:

I think that the idea of meter canceling and EX moves works better when applied to a few characters (i.e. Shago and Fulgore) than across the cast. Keeps the variety higher.
I definitely agree that combo breakers costing meter would be a sh*t idea considering how much damage you can get without meter in this game, though thatā€™s not the topic at hand. :stuck_out_tongue:
I wonder what a further reduction to meter gain would do to balance. It would make battery enders even more valuable, and suddenly Fulgoreā€™s slower meter gain would seem a lot less dire. Omen, Spinal, and Shadow Jago would all get SUPER scaryā€¦

Iā€™m digging the cool discussions going on in the forum right now. Itā€™s probably hurting my work ethicā€¦

Anyway, ignoring the slight discrepancy between LCDā€™s count of how meter is currently used and others the question is ā€œshould there be more uses for meter in S3.ā€

Iā€™m a bit torn on this. First of all, shadow moves are essentially EX moves so I donā€™t really think adding MORE enhanced specials to the game, with additional weird meter math is a great idea. The other option is to add a ā€œsuperā€ move like Omenā€™s that uses both bars. This could be good, if done right, or it could be bad. But itā€™s certainly a thought and would keep people from ā€œwastingā€ meter frivolously on things like making moves safeā€¦

I might actually like to see some changes in how the current meter is used. I think some more consistency in things like how shadow enders deal damage bonuses (or not) might make the mechanics easier to understand. I also think that shadow counters would be used more if there werenā€™t so many ways to blow it. Itā€™s a generally low execution game but there are so many situations where a shadow counter seems like it should be a good idea but itā€™s really tough to get it just right. Iā€™m old and slow, but I rarely get a chance to use this tool on reaction except to naked shadow openers. And even then sometimes it gets stuffed or blocked.

From a previous thread, I believe Keits is a fan of limiting the full resource using moves.

So just tossing it out there, probably need a really good arguement as to why everyone needs one.

I have a running theory that they might be about to do KI2-style no mercies which expend a full bar or something to finish off an in-danger opponent in neutral. It occurred to me when they talked about Jago honing his endokuken that it could go in that direction, since just about every other idea seemed either bad or pointless.

wrt heavy windkick xx shadow fireball, I honestly just think itā€™s not that good. I mean, sure theyā€™re ā€œgetting inā€, and it threatens a full-screen unreactable thatā€™s safe on blockā€¦but iuno, itā€™s still negative on block, and it costs a bar, so if it doesnā€™t hit then youā€™re handing priority over to your opponent. Itā€™s still worth doing I guess, like medium wind kick is worth doing from midrangeā€¦but then again, why are you outside of midrange and not setting up a fireball mixup or something?

I guess I could be wrong about this. Also, Iā€™m totally okay with it shadow fireball being unsafe, or shadow counterable, as Infil suggested. I still think history will show that shadow-cancelling heavy wind kick was part of the reason none of those Jagos ever amounted to much, but if you really want lacklustre strategies stamped out, then whatever.

EDIT: oh, guysā€¦it turns out the whole shadow fireball thing was unsafe all alongā€¦

I personally think every character should have some sort of move that costs all their bars of shadow meter to use (similar to fulgore and omen). The move could just be a really good utility move for the character that helps out a weakness that way losing shadow meter matters more. I also think it wouldnt hurt if shadow meter overall was a little bit harder to build.

Itā€™s DP xx shadow fireball thatā€™s really the ā€œproblemā€, definitely I donā€™t mind heavy windkick xx shadow fireball because, as you say, itā€™s not that great.

Also, Keits says shadow fireball is -5 but bastfreeā€™s frame data (which he mined using the in-game frame stepper) showed it was -4 and I think thatā€™s a bit more likely because Iā€™ve never managed to punish it with a light attack (and Iā€™ve tried in training for a not-insignificant amount of time). Still negative, of course, and still punishable by 3f DPs, but itā€™s pretty good.

Ya, I tried for a while after posting to get the punish, no bites. There may also be a bit much pushback for some characters, even if there were enough time. DPing it seems fine, though.

Iā€™ve always known that Shadowfireball on block was at least -4 or -5 but there is never a guaranteed punish for most characters and in my lab time Orchid she has no options to punish it because the pushback on it is too much for her even with her DP.

make counter breakers cost shadow meter, they are ridiculus, the punnish u get from failing a counterbreaker only cost you a potential combo from youre opponent witch can be broken just like any other combo. the risk/reward isnt balanced imo, either make an easy 60-70% combo (witch is just retarded) or get hit for potentialy 40-50%, but most likely 30% or nothing.

ofc you cant spam it all day but the fact that any noob out there can make a 70+% damage combo on any pro player out there in the world, no mater the skill is in my oppinion just stupid.

1 Like

Counter breakers are OP? Guess Iā€™ve seen it all.

4 Likes

Great, isnā€™t it? Thereā€™s a side that thinks counter breakers are not worth the risk most of the time, and another side that thinks the damage is too high and itā€™s too easy to perform (disregarding the fact that you have to hit someone first before you can use it).

The real answer, like most things, is that itā€™s in the middle somewhere.

3 Likes

Huh. Never thought Iā€™d see anyone complain about counter breakers being overpowered o_O

With respect to the above conversation, I tend to think yolo X->shadow Y as a strategy really isnā€™t generally applicable across the cast anyway. Jago (who can be punished on it) and Orchid (who is completely untouchable after it) are really the only characters who ā€œrelyā€ on it. Fulgore technically can as well, but itā€™s a poor use of meter, and Cinderā€™s just looking for chip or potential damage really, and not so much an overweening desire to do something yolo on approach. Kan-Ra would be another perhaps? But again, you see that he generally has better uses for his meter.

I donā€™t think making shadow ā€œsurgesā€ a thing across the cast is the answer here though if youā€™re really hell-bent on getting rid of the practice. For one, shadows are already basically just EX moves - specials with extra damage/invincibility/utility, For another, unless the ā€œsurgeā€ was really strong (in a game where specials are already very, very strong), there really wouldnā€™t be any reason to privilege them over yolo opener->shadow fireball, so you wouldnā€™t solve your core issue for the people who like to use that tactic, while simultaneously adding another strong neutral option across the cast that to a certain extent invalidates other neutral options.

KIā€™s neutral is already not played primarily with normals - adding partial shadow EX moves would just exacerbate that dynamic. Which is fine if thatā€™s what your end goal is, but thatā€™s not the sense I got from the OP.