Manuals and spin speed

… Well, I can certainly agree with that. I’m just not sure why that’s a bad thing.

2 Likes

Yeah that is true for any character in the cast but, the reality is that you have to always be in control of the match, meaning you have to outplay them the entire time or you fall behind because of damage differences. There are plenty of times where, you make a mistake breaking, you take 50%. If that happens against Fulgore you take 30-35% at the most. So if you make a mistake twice against Fulgore, and he makes a mistake twice against you, he lost a life bar and you didn’t. That’s the only way I can really explain it. His biggest weakness is his lack of damage potential. Not saying he doesn’t do damage, he does, but it just can’t compete or compare with the rest of the cast which is why he isn’t played at high level very much.

Omen can do this. Maya has her own set of pips for a super move. Most other characters with a super move generally have another resource for it.

Just checking on technicalities, Omen can too?.. However Omen’s isn’t guaranteed damage while Fulgore’s can decisively end a match.
(And of course, Maya’s Dagger Meter isn’t tied to the Shadow.)

I suppose to add to me being corrected, an Auto-Triple used during a block string helps add to positive spin time.
… 3, 3 useful tools out of a useless function, ha ha ha.

1. Helps maintain positive spin on block string.
  2. Builds extra pips during lockouts.
  3. Baits Counter Breakers.

Nothing should truly be a guaranteed unless you’ve earned the resources and laid the chess pieces accordingly.
As a reminder, just 1 pip can make his teleport safe (he can after all cancel into a DP!)

well yea sure but fulgore gets no meter from blocking, yet the chars getting meter from blocking (every other char) are not gaining less from blocking low witch in most cases are more “safe” as you say manuals are, than from blocking high… i just feel that you should balance out the amount he gets to hes meter from manuals and doubles so that it wouldnt make a difference between them, he already gets the damage reduction, but why loose meter when its hes only real option of getting it, since auto doubles are to unsafe… when using manuals in a lvl 3 combo compared to if youve used auto doubles it makes youre spin speed spin half as fast! imagine if other chars would get half as much meter from blocking low instead of high, it would make a huge difference but it would just feel dumb. if its to much to buff manual spin speed to the amount of doubles then tone down the double a notch and up the manual just allitle bit so that they are on par… let the double only stand for more damage and the triple bouth.

Yup, fair point, Omen can too. Still, its pretty unique!

Fulgore gets meter for standing there doing nothing. The other characters don’t. If you like the way those other characters build meter better, I suggest playing as one of them.

I also think you need to study how spin speed works a little longer with my notes, because a lot of things you are saying don’t add up to how things actually work in the game.

2 Likes

yaya i just think its wierd to be forced to actualy consider doing auto doubles instead of manuals, after seeing how much less meter i gain from manuals… But w/e id just go stay idle in a corner with my fulgore then, since i gain so much meter from nothing…

i dont whana sound rude, maby things are good the way they are maby im not entierly sure of all my claims, but its how i feel and now i said it :smile:

Fulgore gains so much damage from stray pokes and reset situations that it’s only natural for his combo damage to be slightly lower (and it’s not really THAT much lower, to be perfectly honest). According to my counter breaker combo notes, Fulgore gets 52% for 1 meter and 61% for 2 meters off a counter breaker (which, when compared against others in the cast, is a decent indicator of combo damage). There are a few characters in the high 60s for 2 meters, and tons of characters right around the low 60s and high 50s. Fulgore’s combo damage is slightly below average but nowhere near the worst in the game.

I wish the Fulgore detractors would stop constantly talking about his one weakness and instead talk about his dozen strengths. There’s a reason he has a weakness or two! You can’t talk about it in a vacuum and expect it to make sense.

Also, I’m fairly sad to see this quote:

It basically says “no point in giving me options, the opponent will just choose the correct counter 100% of the time, so my character sucks”. Wake up DP or block is all you need in fighting games to defend yourself. And for all the complaining you’ve done about Fulgore not having enough meter to shadow counter, now you’re saying it doesn’t matter because when he does have meter, it will never work anyway?

For characters lucky enough to have a DP in this game, everything you’ve said applies to them as well. Including the meter comment, because you can easily see when other characters have shadow meter available for shadow counter too.

6 Likes

Yay, Keits basically reiterated everything I already said! :slight_smile:

People really need to get out of this “autodoubles are bad all the time so I always use manuals” mentality. The fact that autos do more damage alone is reason enough to justify their use even at high level, to say nothing of their utility in mindgames and baits. You limit yourself, both in terms of damage and general options, and make your combos more difficutlt to boot, by limiting yourself in this way. Manual rules mean you’re usually going to be stuck doing medium and light manuals (as heavy linkers are often pretty reactable), so it’s not even like you’re locking the opponent into a super unlikely break scenario. Yeah, they have to guess on the manual, but it’s generally a coin flip on the guess, and even if they’re wrong, it doesn’t much matter because all manual combos tend to be shorter and lower damage anyway. Even more so if they hit confirmed off something like low short->low short.

Manuals are awesome. They are a fantastic tool that everyone should learn to add to their game. But they are emphatically not the best option for all situations. Doing an auto-triple here and there will not kill you, I promise. Even players who can react to mediums and heavies sometimes miss them, even at high level - especially if you’ve been conditioning them to be guessing for manuals or trying to recognize linkers.

And for goodness’ sake, please stop doing manuals after an opponent has locked out…I don’t know why people are still doing this :persevere:

4 Likes

Fulgore is a character with almost all tools (dp, good dashes, strong normals, fireball, safe low special opener, a fast overhead special cancellable, a teleport…)
Has simple yet effective mixups (fullscreen fireball xx plasmaport=wellcome to mixup city)
Has not so simple but very effective mix ups
Can cancel his specials into another specials

With this, Fulgore is, IMO top 5 without any doubt. Give him a more frequent acces to shadow meter=unquestionable best character in the game.

Of course his damage is lower than, lets say, wulf or thunder. How many obstacles should they face against many characters like kan-ra? Fulgore only has to teleport and in many scenarios he is in. Should he get the same reward? Should his damage be better to make his already good tools even better? Give him more meter so his outstanding shadow moves can be more frequent?

I think many people are taking a bad perspective. Dont look at Fulgore thinking in one MU only, think in the big picture. Dont compare to other characters, think in the uniqueness of the character

It really gets me sad seeing people asking for a damage ender and remove daggers system for maya, “normalize” Fulgore’s meter, give to all characters a good reversal…

If I have to choose a word for Killer Instinct, it would be “unique”. Unique characters that, the best of all, balanced!! Of course it can be better, but the extremes that some people suggest…

3 Likes

Well I figured out the issue with Fulgore in a mirror today, his meter gain while in combo doesn’t work very well. He is starved for meter since he doesn’t have a battery ender, his battery ender is his physical damage ender. Out of combo dp adds 3 ticks of spin speed. A level 4 dp ender adds 0 ticks of spin speed. All strengths of blade dash linker only add 1 tick of speed. His level 1-3 dp enders add 1 tick. All levels of blade dash ender add only 1 tick, but that’s a setup ender it’s understandable. So unless your combo has auto doubles or auto triples you can expect 4-5 ticks of speed if you use dash linkers, if you use laser linkers, you won’t see much if any. So I can basically gain the same spin speed from a few lights out of combo on block. The whole point of a combo should be the reward of cashing out for spin towards meter but you’re better off fishing for it off a stray heavy dp. You’ll get more spin from that than most combos you land. So there’s the problem. It solves everything. His lack of meter, his lack of battery, and his lack of potential damage. The things that should be giving spin are not where they should be. It doesn’t break his neutral game or anything, it gives him the meter he deserves landing a combo rather than being counter productive.

But technically, any offensive stature not using energy and Auto-T’s are his battery as positive, non-energy actions make the reactor spin faster and the 3rd hit adds too.

As Keits did mention, your choice of combo determines your Reactor gain.

Fulgore has the most number of Specials of all the characters, not all of them are needed/necessary for comboing.
TRUE, it certainly helps add to the visual flare of the game but it doesn’t actually mess up your opponent whose only thoughts on breaking are "Light, Medium or Heavy."
Dash is your Combo Linker, not Spark or Laser.

Spark and Laser are your zoning/anti- tools, not your combo bread and butter.

1 Like

I just think it’s crazy Fulgore can cancel a special into a special for the cost of a piece of lint he found in his dryer.

Like… seriously, think about that for a second. No other fighting game character I can think of in any game is allowed to do this, in neutral, all the time. It’s so, so, so good. You can never jump, you can (almost) never shadow counter, he can start offense any time he’s not blocking, any place on the screen… it would take a lot of work to make this character bad.

5 Likes

Fulgore’s DP Ender is an offensive move.
Level 1 DP ender adds 1 hit of speed
Level 2 DP ender adds 1 hit of speed
Level 3 DP ender adds 1 hit of speed
Level 4 DP ender doesn’t add any hits of speed
Shadow DP Ender doesn’t add any hits of speed

His Dp out of combo grants speed per hit, heavy dp adds 3 ticks.

Blade dash linkers are offensive as well.
Light, medium, and heavy all yield only 1 hit of spin speed

2 Crouch lights into a Heavy dp adds 5 hits of speed if confirmed off the lights, that’s the same as this combo.

Blade dash opener, blade dash linker, manual, blade dash linker, dp ender. That combo is only 5 hits of spin speed. If I did 1 auto double in place of the manual, then that combo is 6 hits of spin speed, runs a higher risk of being broken, for no noticeable gain over a couple of lights into dp.

That’s all well and fine but it misses the point of “sustained pressure vs poking”… Why do you believe you can’t Counter Breaker to extend a devastatingly damaging combo?

It’s not a matter of extending the combo or going for damage. It’s the amount of speed I earn while in combo vs out of combo. If I land a counter breaker, I know I can do 3 medium punch auto triples and 3 light blade dash linkers, but here is the issue, when I go to cash it out with the level 4 dp ender, I get no speed bonus. The only reason I call this a problem is I get 3 hits of spin speed from a heavy dp out of combo.

I don’t believe we’re talking about the same game then… I believe we’re to use the tools available to enter and extend combos, not neutral-footsie wars, though we can partake in “pure” footsies.

I believe what he’s implying is that he agrees with that sentiment, but he’s trying to say that the level 4 Shoryu-Ken ender doesn’t build spin speed like the level 3 and below ender/neutral versions
I could be wrong, but that’s how I read it.

1 Like