Season 3 Mechanic Preview - Stagger

Neither am I, cause I’m sure you can break the combo.

@C88_Kairi_Yamoto

Before ANYONE trys to suggest what character should get whatever mechanic like stagger you need to ask yourselves if it will benefit the game’s balance or not? or if there’s any tools to the character no one is using. and if it will add to the gameplay of the character, ONLY because the other tools they have are not effective enough.

I think people have to have alot of thought into this before we go saying this guy/girl should have stagger.

For the record… I never once said Hisako should get stagger, or even might get stagger… I was just fantasizing out loud :sweat_smile:

Maybe I’m short sighted. I’m not appreciating the difference between a move that causes stagger and a move that opens a combo in any other way. Understanding you can throw someone who is staggered, I can see this might be useful for characters like Shago and Sadira who can combo off of throws, or for positioning. But it just doesn’t seem like a big deal in a game where half the normal and most of the specials can serve as openers for endless combos…

I think this is where it helps out.

I already forgot about this but is it possible to grab anyone while they’re staggered?

All we know for certain at this point is that Shago definitely can. Stagger in other games tends to work in the same manner. But since Annihilation won’t work on stagger, we can bet there will be some exceptions to “you can grab a staggered opponent”, and one could even speculate (keeping in mind that speculation is pretty nebulous) that command-grabs are where that line is drawn.

You could make that argument, but I think it’s just because you’d be able to 50% off his stagger > instinct cancel > qcf grab. Which would be unbreakable… I think.

I completely agree with you on this. I really don’t see the big deal of the stagger mechanic in a game like KI. 99% of the moves in the game can already serve as an opener. The few characters that can combo off of a throw would see some benefit but everyone else probably wouldn’t see much added at all.

I can’t believe there are people saying that Hisako of all characters needs a stagger move. Her ENTIRE PLAYSTYLE is built around massive hit-stun which is basically what stagger is. :smirk:

Who said that? People are saying that?

The concensus above leans toward her definitely not needing that kind of thing, and I was just amusing myself with the thought of a stagger normal that didn’t rely on wrath meter.

Must be a twitch chat thing? I dunno. :expressionless:

Won’t work. The move won’t connect on a preceding hit or blocked attack

I’d like to see it on Aganos’ close HP. The move is kinda funky in that it has enough hit advantage to link a medium or light normal at low chunks, but since it has such little recovery, a lot of the time you can’t even link an opener off of it unless it’s a counter hit. For that reason, I most often use close HK as a hard punish to get the corner carry and a guaranteed opener at the cost of getting 20% less damage.

But I think stagger will be reserved for moves with significantly long startup, which close HP isn’t.