Season 3 Mechanic Preview - Stagger

I’m really enjoying it so far, I hope they add it to more characters.

Not sure if you were referring to me, but I’m definitely not under the impression that this changes much of anything in a drastic way. If you weren’t, then I guess the bulk of this post will be deemed borderline unnecessary… but hey, let’s go!

Firstly, we have basically zero intel on who might be getting it and why. That’s pretty important to keep in mind when speculating… there’s a lot of potential for wasted energy, heh.

If it were to be applied liberally, I do think that it adds a neat wrinkle to the game - the value more inherent in the psychology of play, rather than something more tangible like greater damage output or opening your opponent more than before. More of an “oh god that just happened to me”… with the exception of Shago who has obvious uses for it, that is.

And my being excited about it is certainly not reason for someone else to get excited about it, to be sure; I’m intermediate at best, and everyone should definitely look at things on their own and objectively. Plus, I’m kind of a cheerful guy in general; in a dry, dusty sort of way :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Honestly, I’d like to see Hisako’s standing far HP be a stagger. The startup is long and the move has a nice vacuum effect on it (pulling the opponent closer when hit).

tbh with full wrath you get so much frame advantage on hit that you can even dash in and combo not throw though.

Imo Hisako already has a bit weaker form of stagger with full wrath on all her m and h normals. Her axe kick also a lot of frame advantage too.

The only difference is the missing ability to throw them after that.

Which is my point. She has 2 command grabs in addition to her normal throw, that would benefit from just one stagger move. I proposed the standing HP for a few things that I’ve already mentioned, but also because it has a fairly long startup that hits mid. As well as being very punishable.

I think it just lends itself well to the mechanic.

How does her command throw benefit from a stagger of a st.hp? You can only combo after the command throw, if she has full wrath.

Outside of Instinct she would get nothing cause your st.hp eats wrath. Her other command throw does not let you combo.

Her normal throw is the only thing that would benefit outside of instinct.

Imo especially Hisako does not benefit from a stagger move like that. She would need a command normal that does not eat wrath and has way less range than st.hp to make it balanced. Than it would benefit her command throw. Other than that she already has extreme frame advantage on counter hit and from watching it comes close to the frame advantage on a stagger move.

1 Like

It should be noted that landing a command throw without full wrath still gets you a knockdown, and getting a knockdown is a great thing for Hisako. Really great.

Yes but hitting st.hp or st.hk with full wrath into sweep does too or doesnt it?

I dont see a major benefit from making her st.hp or any of her good normals like st.hk a stagger move cause she already can do similar stuff in terms of result of a st.hp with full wrath.

Oh… I wasn’t contending that there was! :smile:

I was making the assertion that the command throw has great value for Hisako, even if she doesn’t get to combo from it. That’s all. But yeah, anyway… stagger! Sorry to digress.

Far standing HP doesn’t actually combo into sweep AFAIK, it is only about +7 (one less than required). I think a command normal or special which doesn’t use wrath would be in order like Lycan suggested.

This is presuming she will get a stagger of course. Since she would get access to a free unbreakable command throw which could lead to a combo I can see them not giving her a stagger.

Is her far st.hp the move that sucks you in on counter hit? If so then yeah it wont work.

Than her far st.hk where she hits you with the woodside of her weapon. I used that a lot into sweep. But i admit i barely play KI anymore.

Regardless i agree with your statement - it should be carefully watched.

What i dont like about the current season approach is the introduction of mechanics wich then get poorly translated to s1 or s2 characters like recaptures - orchid air throw still looks ■■■■.

Hopefully if they go back to s1 or s2 chars they add them well animated and make them fit to the move they add it too.

Yeah her far hk is the one you’re thinking of, where you can dash in and get a combo even. And yes that’s the far HP.

Considering some characters are getting a rework who knows. But from what I can see it looks everyone might be scared of this new mechanic coming and want their favs to take advantage of it.

Speaking solely for myself, I’m more amused by it than anything. Definitely not afraid, heh.

I honestly think all characters should have recapture and stagger…but… some characters damage level needs to come down.

For instance…Thunder can destroy Aria in 1 level 4 combo. Jago and Orchid can also do almost the same.

Its pretty ridiculous how one average combo can take an entire life bar.

I just find it unfair for characters like Cinder, Omen, Kan ra and Aria…no matter how many tools they have. Everyone is going to get hit…and these guy get hit with one combo and its over

So bring on the stagger, but it has to be for everyone… and if its not…then Thunder, Glacius, and the other hard hitters dont need it.

I’m super against the idea that everyone should have access to every game mechanic. Part of the issue with S2 for a bit was it felt like every single character had this insane toolbox for all occasions. The first 3 characters all had command grabs that did crazy things, recaptures, and nonsense like original tremor with its billion unique properties. To a certain extent characters are defined as much or more by their limitations, so it makes for interesting combat when different characters have to work to overcome those limitations.

Orchid was about the only S1 character for whom I agreed with the addition of a recapture. Wulf didn’t need it, and I still roll my eyes every time I see shadow leaping slash drag someone to the ground. The characters in-game are balanced (very well, I might add) around their existing toolsets - so let it rock for the most part and let them be balanced. Let the new characters get their crazy new mechanics and shenanigans, and let them be balanced around those.

I’m not wholly against older characters getting stagger where it makes sense and fits, but I am very much opposed to the idea that every single cast member should get it. Everyone doesn’t need recaptures, everyone doesn’t need command grabs, everyone doesn’t need a grounded overhead. Everyone does not need a stagger - that would just be a pointless homogenization of a very unique and interesting cast.

1 Like

I disagree… Omen needs an over head. Not every character is balanced

There is a difference between game mechanics and character specific mechanics. Stagger should be a game mechanic…not a character specific mechanic. (Like Aganos Chunks, Hisako vengeance, ect)

Stagger just seems like a Fatal Counter that will always be performed on hit, for those that have played BlazBlue.
Good mechanic though. Don’t feel like every character should get it. The appeal of each character is that they have a unique toolset to bring to the table, not everything. Your favorite character might excel at certain things without the need for the additional mechanics.

2 Likes

Right, so then comes the question of whom should get it. Considering the use of this, we can assume this should only work on attacks that have a huge amount of recovery (fierce attacks, some specials).

As we’ve seen, Shadow Jago has two stagger attacking moves, both with an big amount of start up and recovery (on whiff/block). So it could be fair to say far fierce normal attacks, command fierce normal attacks and certain specials should get this.

Next, identifying the characters we think should get it. This will be difficult because everyone will have a different list, but Hisako already gets rewarded with additional hit stun when she plays well in neutral, so I think it’s fair to rule her out. Aganos might be a hard case to make, because both far standing fierce attacks induce massive hit stun already on hit, as does the forward roundhouse.

Yes, Hisako is a HEEEEEELLL NO.
In Instinct, she does massive hit stun, and can do a combo with damn near all normals.
When you can do a hit, and dash up closer to continue a combo, I don’t think you need Stagger.
KV and damage considerations have to be taken into account. Stagger should be an effective tool for a solid combo, not too much damage, but adds up over time.

It should be for those characters that have an extremely high learning curve to be effective. Kan-Ra could probably benefit from a move that causes Stagger, as he only really has the Sandsplosion to reliably get him out of pressure situations, so Stagger can be compensation for playing patient defense and opening someone up.

Aganos, his forward fierce command normal, it would seem logical, due to the very nature of how the move hits, the aesthetics behind it would make it reasonable to give that move a Stagger property. But as you said, it causes massive hit stun already. For Aganos, you can probably make that move cause Stagger if he has over a certain number of Payload Chunks. Because after he has a certain amount, that move can no longer chain into itself repeatedly.