Samurai Shodown 2019 - GG Baiken released

I’ll definitely take a look at this later tonight.

The link was deactivated unfortunately.

@Dayv0 @BigBadAndy @xSkeletalx @Cabp15

Sorry as I cannot enter the link myself and copy the relevant links for you but SNK tournament English stream links are in the Eventhubs article:

I probably will not be on stream as only Kazunoko is the best known character on my side of the bracket.

2 Likes

Won my first match at the SNK open.
2-1 against a Nakoruru player. Nakoruru by far the toughest opponent from a matchup perspective.

Need two more wins to get out of my pool.
Nothing but Haohmaru and Genjuro players left hahaha that’s going to be a walk in the park with Earthquake …not :smirk:

[EDIT]
I got mugged during my walk in the park. So I am out of the tournament /s

The perp’s mug shot

3 Likes

Retsumaru for Season 2

1 Like

Results below… I know a few of these players and they’re playing other characters normally, but to win all of them jumped on the Genjuro or Haohmaru bandwagon it seems

1 Like

Just for the record…you cannot drop below 5200 points once you get to Black belt. However, any of the remaining ranks (Swordsman 6000, Sword master at 8000, Sword saint 15000) do not have such a safeguard. So if you reach Swordsman at 6000 pts, once you lose too many points and drop below 6000 points then you would lose your Swordsman title.

Not the best pic but here’s my Swordsman title reached with Earthquake. Wish they had character specific rank history (like Tekken) for each character that you play then I could track my progress with each character. Now it’s only tied to the player.

That’s interesting. I wonder if that’s done to prevent experienced players losing on purpose in order to smurf?

Not sure actually. Are you doing ranked?

All ranks up until black belt have such a system where you cannot drop below a certain amount of points. Black belt happens to be the last rank where this is the case.
Because in the beginning I practiced on rank, my win rate was between 40-49% with Earthquake. But over the past 50 games it has been closer to 50-55%.

Yeah, every online game I have played was in Ranked. Amusingly enough it will be accurate for me as I’ve only played Tam Tam in ranked so far.

I have been struggling a lot against Yosh-itora, Genjuro and Haohmaru.

Getting better with Earthquake against Genjuro but still not an acceptable winrate…

Max is saying good Yosh-itora in the vid I embedded below, but to be honest, it’s not a very good Yosh-itora at all. Makes almost no use of combo jumping which nearly all Yosh-itora players do after Jump HS.

We talked about it earlier but he has amassed quite a few points without maybe fully understanding and appreciating the differences between SF. He seems to play the game naturally and a bit based on SF rules. At the 21:30 mark he talks about landing a meaty. Well, this game does not have this concept as characters are invincible if they rise without rolling backward or forward. He tries to meaty the opponent who is exactly doing this. Just so you know, you cannot throw or hit a rising opponent for a brief moment.

But entertaining nonetheless.

Max is a VERY experienced fighting game player. But he is not (and doesn’t claim to be) a tournament competitor or a lab monster. During his long streams or videos, he frequently says things about the mechanics of the games he’s playing (especially new games or more obscure ones) that are either not quite exactly right or just plain old wrong. Sometimes these are super understandable (“I guess that’s safe”) and he figures them out on his own. Other times less so. But in his defense, it’s tough to be expert in everything and he has thousands of hours of video out there. That’s a lot of talking. If people recorded all the things I said while playing it would be a nightmare. So, I wouldn’t look to Max as an authoritative resource for a game’s mechanics. He’s just an incredibly enthusiastic and very gifted player.

Not objectively, are you sure there are no meaties in SamSho? All fighters have some invincible frames on wake up, and meaties can always be blocked on wake up.

1 Like

Yes, Max is doing an excellent job based on his experience alone he gets really far and picks things up fast.

There are technically meaties if your opponent were to press a button as they rise. If you were to grab your opponent but they do not press a single button then your throw would whiff, allowing your rising opponent to punish. It’s more about the game not revolving around meaties the way it’s used in SF or other games.

I feel it’s kinda unfair how many points are taken from you if you lose a match (400). It’s too much. I don’t mind losing rank, but the amount of points lost is frustrating.

It’s brutal!
Who is your main?

Darli

This should be fun

Just for Evo

It only took 3 EVO matches on stream for a Genjuro mirror. Seriously…

@BoJima404 has there been any talk from SNK regarding balance changes after EVO?

Yes, but nothing concrete though. First of all they acknowledged that Genjuro is powerful and highly used but they say his strength is relative to the rest of the cast. SNK implied that they would be looking at other characters first and buffing / tweaking them rather than touching Genjuro.

I have seen some good Shiki and Charlotte matches.