Remember when people were mad about guest characters in KI

I’ve always loved and been excited about guest characters. Even if they are from a franchise I know nothing about, (Like Hellboy). So far, Noctis is the only one I’ve seen that I’m not excited for. I still think he looks cool, I just don’t feel any “crossover magic” with him the way I do with other guest characters. Maybe it’s because I never played FFXV, but that kind of thing hasn’t stopped me before. I’m just kind of ambivalent towards him.

This is exactly the opposite of me. XD
Never liked guest characters, and Noctis is the only guest character I’ve ever been excited for.

Based on many of our past interactions on this forum, we appear to be polar opposites.

Hey, you suggested gay superheroes in Injustice, I’d be all for that, so we’re not complete opposites. :stuck_out_tongue:

You know what? I bet they were just about to put Nightwing in this game, but since they had achieved max character density they decided to put in four ninja turtles instead. Just used that slot right up. If only there were no guest characters…

Here’s some life advice: if you don’t want to know what someone thinks then don’t ask them questions.

5 Likes

There’s no reason to act like that just because I don’t agree with you.

You went “I don’t want people to think like this, because I think it’s like this, so that’s what people should think too”, but you had absolutely nothing to back it up with.

That’s not how it works.

Also, kinda petty of you to try and use Nightwing against me in an attempt to get at me… come on, you’re better than that… or maybe you aren’t.

I’m trying to illustrate the silliness of your argument and the foolishness of imagining that - but for this guest character - the developers would have put in exactly what you wanted. “He’s taking up a slot that could have been something better” is a foolish way of thinking and no better than “he’s taking up a slot that would have been occupied by something worse.” I think (since I am allowed to have thoughts regardless of their relative utility to you) the developers put the best characters they can create into every game - weighing a variety of issues around design, mechanics, popularity, sales draw, and resources for their creation. I know that they don’t have a stable of fully realized, awesome characters sitting on the rubbish bin because they didn’t squeeze them into the target roster size. I’m not sure what proof you are demanding and why you would choose to argue about this.

Think whatever you like. Be as miserable as you would like to be. I’m not getting sucked into yet another endless discussion where you slam somebody then act all affronted by their response for twenty pages of back and forth.

1 Like

I thought you and I had talked things through, but instead you insist on being this arrogant and antagonizing the moment someone questions you…
-sigh-

I like guests, but I don’t like seeing guests when a lot of major characters are not on a game’s roster. It’s hard to blame guests on a character missing a game because most times the guests are added to attract people who aren’t fans of the game. understand the reason why guests are in, and I’m not against them.

One thing I appreciate about KI’s guests is that every original KI character is in the game. It’s not like we can say RAAM/Arby/Rash stole a spot that could have been Eydol for example.

1 Like

Seeing geese get added to tekken made me want to buy it but seeing one of those horribly androgynous post ff9 characters added to the game made me take a step back. Some guests make sense others kill it for me. But i guess it’s just because i loathe the whole j-pop thing that anime and japan in general likes to push on to their male heroes that is making me so biased so my opinion doesn’t really matter hehe.

As someone who barely plays fighting games for the story, im more than happy with the inclusion of guest characters. I find it fun seeing how the devs find creative ways fitting them into the game. I think it’s safe to say that if you were oblivious that KI’s guests weren’t from the canon then you’d be none the wiser.
They’ve done a great job fitting them in.

Honestly i would have been happy with another one too. A guest from one of the other fighting games would have been preferred. Cammy or Scorpion for example.

I’ve never been a big fan of Netherrealm titles but i was more than keen to check out 9 once Freddy was released. Predator and Alien in X made me get that too and although i didn’t stick around on these titles for too long they did there job as guests by enticing other players in.

Cammy in KI would be pretty awesome.

1 Like

I think one of the reasons why this was such an issue with KI was that with the seasonal model they pretty much told us in advance how many characters would be in each group and as they revealed more and more characters in each season it was more and more a reality that certain characters or character ideas wouldn’t make the cut for that season…and if you combine that with the unprecedented outreach to the community for ideas and feedback, it caused a torrent of discussion (putting it nicely) on what should and shouldn’t be added next. I’m sure we all remember the crapstorm surrounding whether or not Eyedol should be in the game, despite the fact that they had already decided and was working on him throughout season 3…but there was so much “we don’t need him, he would be lousy…you know what we do need though is magic archer snake lady (or insert your favorite non-Eyedol concept here)”.
That being said when it comes to KI anyway it’s not hard to see where the whole “guest characters take up slots for real characters” train of thought comes from.

2 Likes

Actually as I know people who know people in the gaming industry, @BigBadAndy is quite right.

Here’s the deal, game creators want to make money, and I mean lots of money. They will do anything to increase sales and interest with their games. Fighting games aren’t cheap to make, and with everyone wanting 4K, he rez backgrounds, character animations, it isn’t getting any cheaper. Unlike most other game genres that have a wide appeal, Fighting games still remain in a niche culture.

Adding popular guest characters brings interest to the game where there might not have been. I knew a number of Halo fans that downloaded KI just to purchase and play as Arbiter.

For myself, I am and will always be a purist when it comes to guest characters. I don’t like them, especially if they can’t work within the confines of a game’s lore, such as Rash, of whom is completely out of place in terms of style with the rest of the KI cast and guests. While I dislike them, I certainly understand their purpose.

2 Likes

That wasn’t the point. As I said to him, I never said he was wrong or right. The thing is, he put down what other people thinks how it works, because he thinks it works different. But without any proof backing up the statement, it just came off as very arrogant, as if his “opinion” was better than others’, when the fact is that he only “thinks” how it’s done, but doesn’t actually know.

Now you come in with the “I know people”… I’m not saying you’re wrong, but without anything to back it up with, the statement is kinda useless… You could just as well have said “My dad works at Nintendo”…

I don’t doubt that the devs put in guest characters to broaden their audience and playerbase by luring people in from other fandoms from which the guest characters come from… but that wasn’t the point of the discussion you quoted from.

My best friend is an animator and knows several people in the gaming industry. I know several people in the film industry, as I was originally trained as a screenwriter.

When I say, I know how this works, it is because I know how it works.

While there are exceptions for everything, the general rule of thumb for including guest characters is to create interest in an a specific IP.

Let’s look at Smash Brothers for example. This entire game is made up of nothing but guests. It’s a great game, but people wouldn’t care about it if it weren’t for the fact that Mario could fight Gannondorf.

You write like you’re trying to convince me, when you’re just repeating what I already said and ignoring what else I said…

Maybe you don’t notice, maybe it’s a language barrier, but you sound pretty confrontional in your replies

Not trying to derail this, but it’s hard to not see some of your replies as that.

Just want to help you pointing it out, it may be unintended

No, in this case it’s intentional, as people seem to ignore my points when replying to me instead of reading what I write… There’s no language barrier, though I’m Danish, as I’ve been speaking English since I was a kid. Cultural differences maybe…

An elderly female fighter is rare in fighting games.