Random Character Tournament Vol. 3 (CONCLUDED)

Parts 1 and 2 of the tournament are already uploaded on my channel, but Part 3 is 4 hours long so it’ll take until tomorrow. Just a heads up.

I’ll post the archive once all three are ready.

He was still the favorite, and people like to root for the underdog. Still think both finalists were amazing. Also was impressed with @Sasuke99I

Both Riptor and Cinder have been put on my radar as characters I might want to look into playing in the future, as a direct consequence of the tournament.

First though going back to Aganos for a bit, Davy0 really made an impression on me with his golem (with his fist, on my face :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). I’m hoping he can transfer some of that awesomeness on me next time we play (or perhaps @GalacticGeek), speaking of…nice Maya play, havent really seen you play anyone but the Golem, but thumbs up!

It’s kind of funny, because I absolutely enjoyed the tournament despite everyone’s snarky remarks about me in the spotlight (which I only mentioned as I wanted my turn, not as some vain attempt at sounding cool or superior BTW, so yeah, thanks for rubbing THAT in). Seriously though, I had not had that much fun since I went to CEO. Not to lessen what RGL Official or ZDHome tried to do with Forum Battles, but IMO, this is kind of what Forum Battles should’ve been.

I will say this though - it took a LONG time. Seriously! It took over 6 hours (which was 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. for me). So, doing this monthly, as a result of that, rather than say every weekend is certainly ideal for me (also, the timeslot, for me at least, was perfect). I was dead asleep by 7 p.m.! :sleeping:

Regarding @Dayv0’s golem, I’m genuinely proud of him. I would say that his golem hovers somewhere just below, at, and slightly above mine in terms of skill. I put up more walls than him, but he’s better at using his far s.HP than I am. I do find him being chunkless more than I would personally like myself though (I always try to keep 1 unless I know I can rechunk). So, I can defenitely see the difference in playstyles there. It’s also worth noting that we had a mirror match during the pre-show (which took me by surprise, as I wasn’t expecting him to pick Aganos), where he did beat me in a single fight. But as I said in the Twitch chat during the live stream, I generally hate those, and don’t see them as any real admission of who’s better with the character - and others there seemed to agree with me on that.

I also liked @DulXboxOne’s Thunder. I enjoyed watching that too, as Thunder was my 1st main, 1st to 50, and still 1 of my all-time favorites.

I’d also like to say props to @Sasuke99I, who elliminated me, that it was hella fun! I struggle with Riptor because of how fast and aggressive she can be (I often can’t even break her opener-enders because they come out so fast), especially with my golem. I am well-versed in her strategies, setups, and reads though - it’s just a matter of finding those openings and capitalizing on them effectively. During our 1st match it dawned on me that I was jumping way too much, and getting punished by the tail as a result, and so I was resolved to be more grounded in the next fight, and while that most certainly helped in terms of defense, I also quickly got put into a corner, which most certainly didn’t help.

I appreciate the praise from @SonicDolphin117 regarding my Maya. She’s a character I’ve always liked and was among the 1st that I got to 50 with (after Thunder, Glacius, and TJ), but it had been a long time since I played her, and no, I had not had much practice with her in S3 (I still miss her dagger damage ender and ability to mantis while jumping backwards). His praise was easily 1 of my favorite parts of the tournament for me personally, as it was so uplifting and encouraging to hear, even after being eliminated. Thanks, Sonic. I will endeavor to play her more often, and improve my game with her. As a matter of fact, I already went back and watched my last fight in the tournament, and can clearly see what I was doing wrong with her, so I have a pretty good idea of where to go from here. :wink:

Also, Sonic, congratulations on winning. I was cheering for you throughout the entire tournament - after having scraped the floor with my golem time and time again, I knew your Kim was good and wanted you to prove to everyone that she’s no joke, and that, you most certainly did. Interesting fun fact - I practiced and played her almost exclusively all of last week (where I discovered just how good her QCB+MK/HK really is), because I want to learn her too (despite my reservations regarding her face). That’s solely because of you, BTW. :slight_smile:

Last, but most certainly not least, I just wanted to say thanks to @PVXenoraptor, who set the whole thing in motion (yet again) - you are our motivation to try new things. As a newcomer to the random tournament scene, I can easily see why it’s so popular among forum regulars and how it puts people outside of their comfort zone. While I know you have to sort some things out with your family, I sincerely hope this won’t be the last time we do this with you, and even if it comes down to that, know that you will not be forgotten - you were the one who got the ball rolling in the 1st place. You have accomplished greatness here, no matter what anyone tells you - don’t ever forget that. :thumbsup:

All in all, I had a fantastic time, and would like to do more of this in the future - GGs to you all, from GG! :smiley:

5 Likes

it was a very fun tournament i agree

That was Dayv0’s golem (my Golems a scrub :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) I believe thunder was @DulXboxOne, could be wrong though…

Okay, just woke up, and I feel much better now.

I’ve read everyone’s PMs and they all have given me a reason to just take a breath and speak it out. I don’t want to sound like an complete idiot, but I’ll say this:

I don’t get on with my personal family (we have a big family, I get on with them the most than my parents, (my sister and I are actually cool), They ALL want me to win a KI Tournament, but my mum saying “You’re not gonna win a tournament” had me have that frustration on the chat.

I would like to thank @Sasuke99I, @SonicDolphin117 and @Marbledecker mostly, for staying for the entire thing, and finishing the rest of the tournament, I sure missed some good bits, and also @DulXboxOne being with me on commentary.

I will give out the poster for Top 3, and I will award someone with POTT, but I don’t know about that just yet.

All of you said after this volume, you want another one, and some of you say it’s okay to give the series away.
I feel like giving this series away at V3 is too early, after a V4 maybe. But I’m not thinking about giving away this at all right now.

I can confirm a Volume 4 for October. But I might not even be at any other tournaments entirely if this keeps up.

P.S. Uhhhh, @SonicDolphin117, what set did you play @BHswordsman09 in grand finals? Because it’s meant to be Best of 5 for that. I’m guessing the final score was 3-2 to Kim?

And for Vol. 4, since it’s Halloween, me and @DulXboxOne will play scary music in the background :joy: :imp:

5 Likes

im glad to hear that bro

1 Like

Made the appropriate changes to my post - thanks for the clarification (there were so many Ds!!). :slight_smile:

Np problem, cant have ppl challenging me expecting a great Aganos, you, Dayv0 and that tourney winner got that covered :sunglasses:

I stayed for the entire thing too! :yum:

Of course everyone in the chat too.

2 Likes

Glad your feeling better, next time we play a set feel free to vent :grin:

Here’s Volume 4.

and…feedback time…

#How was the organisation for Volume 3?

• The organisation was terribly bad
  • The organisation was okay
  • The organisation was much better than V2

0 voters

#How was the commentary?

• The commentary was bad
  • The commentary was okay
  • The commentary was great

0 voters

#Favorite moment?

• Sasuke saying he’s bad with Riptor but gets third place
  • SonicDolphin and Xenoraptor both getting Sabrewulf using random select
  • Sonic VS Mewtwo (Kim Wu VS Hisako)
  • Swordsman getting a talk with his dad for losing to Kim Wu with Cinder

0 voters

#Will you compete in Volume 4, being the Halloween edition?

• No I will not compete in Volume 4
  • I’ll have to see if I’m free before going near Volume 4
  • I’ll definitely compete in Volume 4

0 voters

Unfortunately, I had to go, so I couldn’t fight against @Sasuke99I and try to reach losers final, but I really enjoyed the tournament. It was really fun and I enjoyed a lot the commentary and the chat. Even with my bad english (@DulXboxOne, I’m coming at you! ).

Ggs to everyone I faced (@Draigh, @SlenderCashew50, @Somea2V, @SonicDolphin117)

5 Likes

ggs

1 Like

Gg’s everyone! Loved competing and making my first, if lackluster, top 8 appearance. Looking forward to leveling up and coming back with a vengeance on October 29th!

1 Like

If we could somehow make it so that volume 4 is on a Sunday, I would be ecstatic. I absolutely loved commentating volume 2 and It’s not likely that I would be available on a Saturday for volume 4.

1 Like

@PVXenoraptor In grand finals, swordsman reset the bracket 3-2 (IIRC), then I beat him 3-1 and took the tournament.

Also, you forgot the secret boss fight with PinkDiamond on your moments list LMAO

2 Likes

What? PinkDiamond came on stream?

Yeah she randomly joined our lobby and had a match with @Sasuke99I it was hilarious.

You can see it at 3:11:00 in Part 3 of the archive.

Oh yes. You did just hear the word “archive.” :wink:

Here you go!

1 Like