Potential design elements of Shadow Orchid

@BblackorchidD, as the OP, I’m interested in your opinion about my previous character concept I posted.

Thank you kindly

1 Like

I’m open to this character as it’s a unique version of Sabrewulf style of design. I like the gameplay suggestions and especially the dark female catlike figure image.

And my quote of your post explains EXACTLY my intention of bringing light to Shorchid as an idea pathway to a new powerful female character but some minds cannot handle the power of creativity and seem limited. They are just blinded by the very name 'Shadow Orchid ’ and lose all reason. Lol

Great idea @Dayv0

1 Like

You do realize though, that if Shadow Orchid becomes a reality and she will be the trope you want it to be, then that’s set in stone. Then it will forever be Shadow Orchid who is that character, and not some NEW character who could have been ALOT more interesting with her ORIGINAL and UNIQUE backstory and moveset!

That said… this witch/psychic trope you want in the game… They won’t change Orchid to become that. Shadow Jago is not a whole other trope from the original Jago, he is still being a warrior monk, just with some shadow abilities instead. The same will happen for Orchid. They will most likely just give her a different set of acrobatic kick attacks and turn her firecat into a shadowcat instead. They won’t just all of a sudden change her into having psychic or magical powers. Orchid will still be the acrobatic military chick with the long legs, even as a Shadow form.

What you want is a WHOLE other character than what Orchid is.
Just because I don’t agree with your opinion or ideas doesn’t mean you get to shush me. I am not being hostile or disrespectful, I am not telling you that you cannot have your opinions or trying to shush you! I’m not trolling you here. So you doing such towards me… it’s not okay, Bb.

Does anyone else have any thoughtful and progressive positive suggestions for the potential ideas for Shadow Orchid?

Really? You’re just gonna turn me the deaf ear instead of trying to see my point of view?
So much for being open-minded and listening to other people’s opinions. You just hear what you want to hear.

Hey, could you clarify this tagging? Did I say I wanted her to have that look? Trying to recall. :slight_smile:

As for Shadow Orchid, I’d say this:

-Make her different, it’s not hard to say “Omen’s corruption of Jago created what looks like Shago, but Omen (or Gargos himself?) corrupting someone else could lead to completely different looking results.”

-Nightshade is s PERFECT name. The second syllable even sounds like it’s starting to say “shadow” in a small way.

-So yeah, change her look dramatically. This is from an idea I had for Omen, but take away the wings and replace them with long, perhaps black with bright red strands of hair and/or a scarf and I think it could be something close to why I’d like to see.

Obviously clothing would be involved, which there seems to be here, but still, definitely not a variation of her current attire. Perhaps a sort of thin, batman armor type of deal?

Anyways, in this imagery, I could see her as the opposite of a freedom fighter, perhaps a mercenary, a brutal butcher that gives the appearance of an Ultratech loyalist, only to be revealed as an evil Orchid that’s infiltrated the enemy at Gargos’ behest.

As for playstyle…

I’d say a zoner that uses gadgets such as a glowing sword, her lasaken, and perhaps a few other goodies.

I’d like to her lasaken have some sort of unique property. We already have Omen with random rashokukens, Jago with chargable endokukens / double-healing endokukens and Shago has his air shendokukens and five shadow shendokukens etc, so what could Nightshade have?

-Perhaps lasaken can be her “get over here” move? Like instead of it just being a straight glowing projectile, it’s actually a glowing projectile on a glowing string? When it strikes the opponent and lands, she has a few options like LP pulls the lasaken out, which does damage and staggers opponent, LP&LK pulls the opponent closer for a unique throw and HK pulls the opponent closer as she flies at them with a kick of some sort.

I don’t know, I feel like there could be more options here, but this could be a move that allows her to choose whether to bring the opponent close for a throw or keep them at distance.

Anyways, I won’t keep going here through an entire list of moves, but the general idea here could be tech based mercenary, a darker look and story that gives us a sort of “what Orchid would be if she were the very thing she’s been trying to hunt down and rebel against” kind of deal.

To be clear, I think that there are some better ideas than this out there, but I really just wanted to reiterate the idea that I’d like to see them go in a very different direction than just coloring her skin blue and putting a skull mask on her. I love Shago’s look, but that’s HIS look. I’d want them to do something entirely different for Nighshade. Man… Love that name! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooooooo I’m feeling the scorpion/ Wonder Woman lasso lasaken slant!!!

Love the exploration @Iago407

the quote was from our agreement that someonetmade the early shadow Orchid image and we felt you cannot

Just give a current character’ blue skin & a chain belt’( your hilarious wording)
And deem it a shadow version!

1 Like

Okay cool, just wanted to make sure, as I always had the impression that we were on the same page as far as this goes. Glad to see that confirmed. :slight_smile:

Yeah as much I wanted to go for a direct “pull the opponent in” kind of move, I thought that’d be a little too “Scorpion” lol, so having some various things she can do with them, I thought would be pretty cool.

I wouldn’t mind her having a glowing sword like her brother used to have as well. Perhaps it can break in to three pieces on a chain, not something huge and full screen like Ivy has, but midsized, glowing red, where she can extend it out a small ways, like mid screen range, and can do a variety of attacks that way, like using it as a whip, perhaps wrapping it around the opponents feet and pulling, like as a long range sweep move, plus more or less giving her mid-range combos.

I’d say maybe have her weaknesses, like most zoners, be up close. But I could see her being a more extreme zoner example, where she’s very good from mid and long range but just terrible up close.

Her instinct could be summoning a puppet Orchid that will unwillingly fight for you in some fashion? Maybe the instinct bar is Orchid’s sort of mini health bar, maybe pressing the taunt button forces Orchid to do a random special move? Or perhaps it’s a toggle to switch between controlling Orchid and controlling Nightshade?

Again, just kinda spit-balling here.

1 Like

you rock!

1 Like

Picture shows her holding batons, but I would personally prefer tonfas. That said, IG would most likely just do a bit of remodelling on the current Orchid, meaning she will keep her current weapons, but have a new moveset, much like Shadow Jago.

Background:
"On her path to take down Ultratech, the fire within Orchid was growing, burning more furious for each day passing and getting further out of control. Gargos took notice of the power within her and developed a scheme for when she would eventually face him along with her brother, whom he had already had his claws at. Jago had the dedication and inner strength to fight back the shadow planted within him by Gargos, and though Orchid shared his blood and power, she did not have the same control as her brother. And Gargos knew this.

The warriors of Earth fought back Gargos’ invasion and eventually met him, face to face. That was when the Shadow Lord planted a seed of darkness within Orchid, whose powers had spun out of control. Gargos turned the fires within her against her, and Orchid finally descended into madness. As the new minion of shadow, Gargos commanded Orchid to fight Jago, and she did so without hesitation. However, Jago was stronger and he won the battle, knocking Orchid unconscious. And then he fought and defeated Gargos with the aid of his allies.

Orchid awoke shortly after in a tube in Ultratech headquarters, kidnapped by the Ultratech forces. ARIA was doing her best to control the dark seed planted within Orchid. She could not remove it, but found a way to harness it, dimming it down for the time being as Orchid regained her strength. But there was one thing she could not mend… Orchid’s mind had broken, her memories and sanity gone for good.

Being a vessel for immense power, as dark as it might be, ARIA saw this as an opportunity to turn her into another weapon… and the first living host for ARIA."

Appearance:
Orchid appears as herself, but is wearing a containment suit in the form of a full-body spysuit which is black/dark purple with a few glowing violet lines of energy, which are created to give Orchid the ability to control and contain her dark powers. Her eyes glow with purple energy as well and her voice has an otherworldly echo to it, sounding more robotic due to ARIA’s possession. Her weapons, the batons, are more like energy swords this time around, glowing purple as well and are capable of extending to double size when swung, much like Orchid’s KI1 weapons.

Movelist:
Orchid keeps her Whiplash and Danger Zone moves, as well as her throws, but has her special moves replaced.

• Lasaken: Orchid spins her batons and shoots out a rotating blade of dark energy which slices at the opponent.
    -The Shadow version shoots out 3 in a row.

• Spinning Swords: Orchid swings her batons around like a wheel in an upwards motion, which slashes the opponent up in the air on hit. The move also deflect projectiles.
    -The Shadow version makes her swing around a second time while moving forward.

• Shadow Vortex: Orchid does a cartwheel and spins around in a helicopter kick motion, kicking the opponent multiple times.
    -The Shadow version has her spin slightly upwards, pulling the opponent in as a vortex.

• Shadow Cat: Orchid gets engulfed in shadowflames, transforming her into a purple glowing feline made of dark energy and lunges towards the opponent. Can also be done in air, lunging diagonally downwards towards the opponent (like a dive kick, but with claws first).
    -The Shadow version has her rotate around herself in a corkscrew motion while lunging towards the opponent, hitting multiple times and avoiding projectiles.

And now some made-up moves I think could fit her:

• Kiss of Darkness: Orchid grabs the opponent and blows them a kiss from which emits a breath of dark purple mist which enters the opponents body, causing damage over time for a short while and slows the opponent while in effect. The effect goes for 3 seconds.
    -The Shadow version has the effect go on for 5 seconds and causes slightly more damage per tick.

• Shadow Dash: Orchid becomes engulfed in shadows as she dashes forward in a speedy motion, becoming invulnerable to any attack until she appears again. Works like a teleport, making Orchid reappear either behind the opponent, in front of the opponent or right above the opponent depending on what button you use. Does not have a Shadow version.

Instinct Mode:
Orchid has the same Instinct Mode as her normal self, however, instead of her Shadow Cat come running from outside the screen, it is summoned from Orchid’s self and lunges at the opponent. This also works while she is in air, the Shadow Cat lunging diagonally downwards towards the opponent.
She also gains access to her “Ultimate” move which works just like Shadow Jago’s Annihilation, but with this happening instead:

• Dark Temptress: Orchid dashes forward to initiate the attack. If it hits, Orchid kicks the opponent away, making some distance between them. She then seductively zips down at her suit, turns the back to the camera and then flashes her chest at the opponent. However, from her chest shoots out several Shadow Cats, spinning around in a corkscrew motion (like the Shadow version of her Shadow Cat special move) and tears the opponent apart for each explosive hit and taking away a large amount of health. The scene ends with Orchid zipping up again.

… No, I’m kidding. This is what I want:

• Shadow Tigress: Orchid gets engulfed in shadows and turns into a Shadow Cat, lunging at the opponent. If it hits, Orchid starts mauling the opponent, tearing at them with her claws and fangs, leaving them bloodied on the ground and taking away a large amount of health. Can only be activated while in Instinct Mode and consumes all of remaining Instinct Meter. The damage is based on how much Instinct Meter was left when the attack was performed. Cannot be performed during a combo. Acts as a throw, meaning it cannot be blocked and must be avoided.

Happy now, @BblackorchidD ?

That’s actually a really cool name, yeah. I like that. Certainly sounds better than “Shadow Orchid” or “Shorchid”.

3 Likes

I enjoyed most the movelist and instinct information-

The idea of the moves she ‘lost’ from the most popular first game re-interpreted make for a plush homecoming.

I’m really a fan of the spinning sai/ helicopter style barrage / and mostly a lasaken style projectile. Even more so that she can throw the tonfa like Maya so there is risk reward with that, not just spamming potential like Jago or Glacius.

I’d add to that maybe the FP version of the projectile has a drone-like effect that it hovers or seeks out the opponent like Maya’s blades on occasion

I’m. not sure I understand her own image being projected, do you mean thrown out of herself like blanka from SF ? I don’t think I’m a fan of that I love the firecat in another form or maybe even just energy like what come from Eyedol mace

Costume

The reason I posted way out there versions is the idea of creation and design desires a huge amount of exploration so that there can be editing down to a proper simplified version. We don’t know what the team may decide on, but who brought those seAson one Orchid accessory items to the MS meetings ? WHO lol

Of course none were perfect, but to take little things here and there like horn style head accessory or glowing eyes or maybe a staff of the two joined tonfa/ spring batons

What if “Shorchid” carries the tonfa joined in neutral ( as current Orchid only joins them in shadow ichi ni san for the magneto force field move) and they separate during specials ? So much can be explored.

I personally would love to see the bodysuit I know you and I both love go to Orchid of the original lineup more than “codename Shorchid” ( I literally do NOT expect them to call her Shorchid anymore than they call Aganos ‘broccoli man’)

• and to have the possessed version get an elaborate form of the bodysuit maybe with some metal skirt attChments like Maya alternate metal skirt or Mira’s tattered fabric detail

I appreciate you finally giving what I know you could bring to the discussion without just denouncing this awesome opportunity to have a new and exciting female badass.
We may not get our Psylocke or have an updated Ivy like we want in our other fave games , but we have a chance to help carve out this new fabulous female fighter in the shell of (“Shorchid”)

I really don’t mind what they call her as long as we know she’s the amalgamation of Orchid (what’s HER real name anyway???) we know in KI 2013

Also all I want is to avoid the travesty of season 1 Orchid costume decisions especially the accessories.

Thanks again.

To make a comparison to a character with a similar mechanic in another game, we can look at C-kohaku/F-kohaku from melty blood. In those moons she has 5 plants, 2 meterless, 1 for 1 bar, and 2 for 1.5 bars.

Her 22A plant is the fastest to become active and is a multihit attack that travels upward diagonally. Unlike the other plants, it can be held in place to delay the attack. Used for some combos and for okizeme when you don’t have enough knockdown time or meter for other plants.

Her 22B plant is slower, but when it becomes active it stays in place and does 8 rapid hits. Used for okizeme when you have enough KD time to safely get it out.

22C costs a bar, but has more attacks than 22B spaced out over a longer period of time, dealing more damage and giving better lockdown. It also has a hitbox while it’s being placed. However, unlike the other plants this one disappears if she’s hit.

2222C costs 1.5 bars and summons a plant that, after a short delay, shoots 6 staggered projectiles horizontally toward the opponent. Used to force a response from the opponent when you have the space and meter to use it.

22222C costs 1.5 bars and summons a plant that spits out a poison cloud. Situationally useful for combos but mostly a gimmick.

Looking to H-kohaku we have 3 more examples of delayed projectiles:

22A is a bomb that explodes shortly after use, and will always explode once the projectile is out, meaning it can interrupt some combos. It pulls the opponent toward you on hit

22B is a bomb that only explodes once the user hits it and it then hits the ground. Can hit opponents once it’s been launched by a hit.

22C costs 1 bar and is a bomb with a long timer (about 6 seconds) that results in an unblockable explosion that hits both players. Both players can hit the bomb to move it around but it can’t hit players until it explodes.

1 Like

Nah, that’s not what I wanted. She shouldn’t get a feature that is unique to Maya. The Lasaken isn’t her throwing her weapons, but rather shooting out a “Sonic Boom”-like disc.

I’d think that would make it a bit too OP, having a homing projectile in her already solid arsenal. As said, it’s still an energy-based projectile, not an actual weapon or drone.

I’m not sure what you mean with “her own image being projected”… I ever wrote that anywhere. What I mean is that the Shadow Cat shoots out from her instead of being something she summons from outside the screen, which she does with the Fire Cat. The only difference is that the cat comes from her.

I’m still not sure why you want to make her look like some spiritual witch or shaman. I prefer for Orchid to look like a military chick and spy, because that’s what she is. As for her accessories, well, sure, let her have a set with witch items, but it shouldn’t be in her main design, imo.

I am still rather disappointed that instead of taking in my criticism at first, you just turned your back at me. I still DO NOT want Shadow Orchid to happen. However, my post above is how I’d like to see her, should she be a reality anyways.

Honestly, I would MUCH rather want an ENTIRELY NEW AND ORIGINAL character than yet another clone character. We can still get a Psylocke-like character WITHOUT having to turn an already established character into something else.

It’s alright if you disagree, but I thought you would still respect my opinion without treating me like my opinion didn’t matter.

1 Like

of course everyone is welcome to have their opinion.

At the end of the day, we are not on MS/IG payroll, so basically all of it is null and may fall on deaf ears, but at least it shows passion for something.

People didn’t want Kim Wu to happen either. Fate is inevitable

I personally don’t care about Kim Wu, still don’t, but I’m still glad all the characters from the past 2 games… though I do wish Eyedol was saved for the 4th season… and that Season 3 wasn’t full of guest characters…

So me not wanting Shadow Orchid is just that… just me… just my opinion… which I am fully aware isn’t important in the grand scheme of things and I am also fully aware that Shadow Orchid will most likely still happen.

Just a suggestion I was thinking of…I’ve tossed the idea around on a few other threads, but what if they went with something more like Shadow Maya (Mira) where she is an entirely separate character with a lot of heavily borrowed moves. For this I would suggest bringing back Orchid’s prototype self: Roxy Rave (Maybe just Roxy).

Backstory could be something along the lines of a club bouncer or something like that, perhaps has some connection to Cinder pre-ultratech with his spec ops stuff. Maybe another guardian takes her under its wing and instead of a cat maybe her ability manifests itself in some other type of animal/creature. As far as weaponry maybe have her kinda like Nightwing in Injustice where she has a staff that can be broken up into 2 shorter sticks, that way she can borrow some of Orchid’s moves and have a few of her own. I’m just throwing out some vague ideas that could be a possible starting point.

And as a side bonus, if they made a dance club as a stage, they could turn Humiliations into a new Stage Ultra.
And with a dance club you could have something in KI that hasn’t been in the game yet: People! People in the background dancing, maybe a band or DJs that look an awful lot like Mick, Atlas, & Celldweller. And for the Humiliation maybe something like they become visibly possessed and start dancing for no apparent reason, and shrotly after that the crowd comes in and carries them off while they’re grabbing & clawing similar to how they do on Hisako’s Stage Ultra. Also the club could be owned by Ultratech showing the corporation’s interest in the music industry.

As far as the Humiliations themselves, maybe have about 5 or 6 animations that pop up at random…nothing too long, just a quick animation loop similar to DOOM’s taunts:

Of course the stage/humiliation stuff could be just a cherry on that sundae, but IMHO that would be a pretty damn awesome cherry.

2 Likes

To me what is important is they give her the Tonfas from KI2, her firecat, her old projectile if your going to make a variation of a character I would like all their moves back.

I do not think she will be an actual shadow though, I think that was just the best way they can explain her. It would not make sense for her to be possessed I mean they can make it work just does not the way I see it.

1 Like

Check this out:

Whoa what if Shadow Orchid doesn’t need to wield the weapons, what if she could manifest the light sabers FROM her hands like psychic knives

dead

omg