Poll: Who has the best shadow move?

Oh no. Only Raam gets to do that with shadow dominance.

Well, when Aria’s DP was 1+0 by accident, she could as well. But yeah, now that’s fixed.

yeah…oh well.

1 Like

Firecat brings in a replacement projectile for orchid
Shadow flick flack is the only agile cartwheel Olympic style beat down
Shadow Ich ni San (drops mic)

Demonic Despair has saved my a** so many times in Shadow Lords mode, I honestly can’t help but not give it the vote. Shadow Dominance by RAAM is also really good as it’s one frame.

I’m actually baffled that there are votes for moves that aren’t hype beam. I don’t think it’s even any contest, that move can take one incredibly minor mistake from your opponent and turn it into a situation where a couple more mistakes means you win. It’s a 6 frame fullscreen punish that beats projectiles and does huge damage and huge PD. When it’s available, some moves simply stop being viable to use, like light portal punch, or spike.

1 Like

I guess how long it takes to get that meter is a downside for it?

I mean…yeah, but it’s still the strongest of any of those moves up there by quite a bit.

Don’t know why shadow clutch is in that list. That move is horrible.
Best move in the game is shadow spike. It is fast, it tracks, it curses (sometimes), it assists, it’s good on offense and defense. It adds some swag. It is S3 Kan-Ra’s key move.

1 Like

Meh. I actually pretty strongly disagree with this. I think Fulgore with full pips is considerably more dangerous than hype beam->mixup. I’d rather deal with that any day over ice skate Fulgore doing whatever the hell he wants in neutral. I intentionally jump at Fulgore when he’s fully stocked - I want him to spend the pips. Admittedly, I also get to change my jump arc a bit, so I tend to only eat a portion of the shot.

Good to close out a fight? Sure. Just about any other time, I think it’s better for Fulgore to sit on the meter and use it for pip cancels and neutral control. I don’t think it’s an accident that the more recent “on a tear Nicky” uses hype beam a lot less than he used to - the sustained neutral control is incredibly powerful.

I don’t even consider the hype beam a true shadow move (which would only use 1 bar of meter rather than the equivalent of both). That move to me is more akin to a super move, kind of like what Omen and Shago have, since those do use up all of the shadow meter as well. For that reason alone, I don’t think it should even be included in this discussion…

2 Likes

Sure, you can make a good case for saving the pips and using them for neutral, because his dashes become absolutely absurd and all that.

I don’t think that was the question the OP was asking, though. I was trying to isolate the strength of hype beam as a move (ie, what it shuts down, its reward for landing it, etc), instead of trying to figure out why you might save the meter in Fulgore’s matchups. Basically, it’s 1 fireball + teleport mixup away from giving you 75% damage for landing a full screen move as fast as a jab (as anti-air, as a punish for ranged stuff like Gargos portal punch, etc), and that seems particularly crazy to me.

1 Like

Fair enough. As an isolated ‘shadow move’, yes, hype beam is pretty ridiculous. Lot of gaps/flaws as a pure move in neutral, but when used properly (i.e. won’t miss or get punished for using it), the reward is pretty substantial.

1 Like

Air Shadow Tail Flip…

Or shadow skull splitter.

Well, a lot of good posts to reply!

Indeed, shadow leaping slash is a great move. Is versatile and has multiple uses. I considered putting it here

Natural disaster is a great move, but at the end I didn’t include it because it has several weak points:
-Not always recaptures, since only the last hit does it, and in some scenarios you don’t connect it
-Weak to grabs and hits, and not totally projectile invul, so it has situational uses
-Damage is ok but not great
-I would say that is indeed “easy” to break. Not mashable, but also not one of the hardest to break. Learning the timing is really simple
-Unsafe on block

Also, Ruin, a great move, is also out for several reasons:
-The most unsafe move in the game(probably), you can punish it with ANYTHING on block or whiff
-Throwable, so not a true resersal

Well, this is true… but just because its not a linker. You can’t break a shadow DP or a shadow command grab ender, since they finish the combo. If you do a shadow ruin as opener-ender, can be broken, just like a shadow dp, but otherwise, hitting one or 100 times makes no difference here

Both are great moves, but at least IMO, not among the best

Although Skull spliter deals lots of damage, I would also say is easy to break, but his slow timing makes it good bait for counter breakers. Besides it’s damage, I don’t see nothing extraordinary with this move, so I skipped it

If you take a look to the list, you will notice that I only put two “DPs”. Dragon dance and Crushing Swing during Instinct. The reason is because all Shadow dps are good(Orchid, Jago, Fulgore…), but I only choose that two because:
Shadow Dragon dance:
It’s potentially the most damaging hit of the game(second hit, without scoring the first), can be safe and can lead to mixups(with dragons). Also it’s damage is out of the boards
Instinct Shadow Crushing Swing_
Decent damage, true reversal leads to mixup(or you can ignore the follow up chance and just mix up the opponent when it fades out), has uses even at fullscreen, huge hitbox… Lots of properties, while others only have damage(besides invul)

Yes, that was my thoughts when starting this topic. I know it’s a particular one. All the shadow moves mentioned here costs one bar, and this one costs 2.5 bars, and Fulgore struggles to get them.

I expected to see this one winning, and then discussing about the best “normal” shadow move[quote=“Infilament, post:17, topic:15703”]
Not counting hype beam, I think you could make reasonable arguments for Gargos minions, wind kick, blood seekers, sand spike, and maybe Raam’s command grab.
[/quote]

IMO the best shadow moves of the game, besides Hype Beam, no particular order:
-Shadow Form(Omen)
-Wind Kick(Jago)
-Minions(Gargos)
-Sand spike(Kan-Ra)
-Dominance(Raam)
-Call of the Earth(Thunder)

The second hit of shadow dragon dance. How do you expect to actually reliably hit someone with that? I mean the only way I can is off an AA. Even then it’s finicky and a very low chance of hitting.

I don’t expect it, but happens, specially against floaty opponents.

It rarely happens, but when it happens is great and you can continue it via dragons

I’m not expecting much from that move in general. But I did get hit by it once. But only because I forgot the 2nd hit does 15 damage. Didn’t matter though since kim still got bodied.

Can someone tell me what is so good about blood seekers?

Its a move I dont often use with Mira (usually use my bars on bloodsucking ending or high damage ender). And I’m feeling that I’m missing an important part of the Mira character now (been a few weeks since I played her though with trying to get achievements and other characters to 50).

Anyways, this is probably why I’m not killer level :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The shadow version tracks and hits 10 times. However you can hop over it with lower body invincible moves with relative ease. It also has a 12f startup. It’s decent for blockstrings but I wouldn’t throw it out willy nilly all the time.

1 Like