Orchid Negative Edge

How do you guys walk forward and go into slide? Unless I pause movement for a stupid amount of time I end up getting a DP. Similarly I’ll shadow up cat if I’m trying to cancel my forward movement into shadow slide. Situations in which this matters would be say walking towards jago and going to punish a fireball. As it stands if I want to go low off of walking forward I’m forced to use a down MP which doesn’t have nearly the same range. Anyways it’s a pet peeve of mine prohibiting me from taking orchid seriously. I love her move speed and tools but getting DP’s instead of slide is infuriating.

The only way I can think of in theory without resetting directional inputs back to neutral is to whiff a kick while walking forward, hold the button and input the qcf motion immediately after, that might work due to the first kick whiffing, essentially cancelling the first frame of its recovery into slide. The other way will just register a DP since it’s still reading the forward input STILL being registered.

On the other hand, the negative edge makes executing some stuff alot easier, take Jagos DP canceled into EX fireball as an example. This can be achieved by inputting the DP motion and immediately tapping two punches after without having to go through the QCF motion again. The motion registers long enough where all you have to do is tap two punch buttons to get the the ex fireball.

This is normal behavior mind you, pick RYU in SF 4-5 and you will see the same thing happens.

Yeah I understand it’s normal behavior. Sometimes you can wipe the buffer though like input a slide in as back down forward instead of down forward, but that doesn’t seem to work well. I’ve been able to get it by pressing down twice but it kind of defeats the purpose of going into slide when you telegraph it with a ducking motion. I just didn’t know if any orchid mains here had any tricks to offer.

yes I was gonna suggest half circle forward, thats what I did in SF4 to deal with walk up fireball woes, seems like you already tried it. I guess the game has alot of negative edge. EDIT: I’m gonna hit the lab and see if I can get it to work, will post back any findings.

Tried it out, whiffing the kick method works. With the half circle motion, make sure its a full half circle motion, there is a small gap though where you slightly walk back before going into slide, its not very reactable though. If inputted to fast srk/dp comes out. Basically she has stop stop her walk forward regardless which is what you don’t want. She has amazing walkspeed though for KI so at the right range this can be viable, maybe you can mix it up with some shimmying to fish for the fireball.

1 Like

You can also sweep under all fireballs except for the shadow huge fireball.

I get em salty with that one…
Orchid and Kim have the best anti projectile options for the spammers

Quite a few characters can lower their hurtbox under projectiles with a low profile normal.

Don’t forget Shago slide (which is way faster)