Opinion on Jago

There is always an answer to everything. If you KNOW for a fact how the “impossible” is set up, don’t put yourself into a position to be defeated by something “impossible” to beat. If it happens to you once or twice, look into how or why it happened and remember that for your next match. So the logic isn’t flawed, its there you just have to think about all options available to you.

Having fun is most important indeed, but if this topic is in the context of the competitive space then it comes down to winning or losing. If money is on the line, we’re not friends during the match plain an simple, after before whatever may come sure I’ll be your best friend. But when you want to compete and money is on the line, sorry but during that match you’re not my friend, you’re one step away from me claiming that top prize. I hope that my friends feel the same way. Cheese me in a match competitively and its insulting to yourself and to me.

The definition that “Cheap” holds I believe is a mental wall that is setup. Yes it may be a “cheap” option, or make your match much easier. But again its something the opponent puts themselves into, or you as the player using the “cheap” option put them into. If its in the game, and it will help me win why wouldn’t you use it? I’m not breaking the game, I’m not modifying anything to the game, I’m simply playing the game to its fullest. It’s like saying, “Well I KNOW for a fact that this tool will help me to win, but I would rather make it harder for myself by not using it.” why would you do that?

Also the fireball juggle has a risk, but once its landed you’re rewarded. It’s a balance improvement from moving to gain health in season one. An Sadira also benefits from her air attacks, with the addition of air combo/counter breakers there is still a risk involved though. Kan Ra also benefits from a projectile setup too. The fireball is NOT an easy free 4 benefit perk. Nearly every character in the cast has an unbreakable combo anyways!

I think your use of the word “impossible” is a poor choice for your explanations. Impossible means there’s nothing you can do at all. Your use of it is more along the lines of “it seems impossible” which is why I don’t think you should use that word - the way you use it, you make it sound like something actually is impossible and then turn around and basically say that it’s not with your follow-up explanations which is a contradiction in terms. Don’t do that - it gets confusing.

As for playing for money, I don’t think you should really bother. How many people do you actually know that play this game for money? I guarantee you that it’s not a whole lot; in contrast to the rest of the community at large, it’s actually a very small percentage. That being said, if you do find yourself in that situation, I agree - it’s basically no-holds barred. However, that’s often what makes numerous matches I’ve seen during tournaments actually boring to watch for spectators (zoning fireball matches in SFIV or Superman-heavy Injustice matches come to mind).

The idea of being cheap IS a mental barrier. Just like the anger you feel when you start losing - that doesn’t make it any less relevant. Again, though, I think our ideaologies are different - you’re obviously all about competitve play for pay whereas I’m all about casual and friendly play that helps build the community. In competitve play, you’re right; in casual play, I’m right, because being cheap can potentially ruin the fun of 1 of the players.

I know Jago has a risk involved with his fireball juggle, but once he gets it, it’s not just a reward, but a massive one - arguably the best reward you can get in the game since it gives him so many benefits when compared to what other characters can get with their instinct/abililties.

The issue with Sadira I think stems largely from the fact that her air-juggles don’t necessarily follow the typical combo string, so it’s hard for a lot of lower level players (and even some higher level players) to know where or how to break her effectively while she’s attacking in the air, which easily gives her an advantage with lockouts overall.

Kan-Ra is easily 1 of the most hated characters in the game simply because of his zoning capabilities. While I don’t personally think he’s cheap or unfair, I’m sure many players do. He has stationary projectiles that hit multiple times and have massive hit-stun leaving the opponent vulnerable. Sure, you can get through them or destroy them, but they’re pretty big in size, making spacing to get past them difficult, especially if there’s more than one; furthermore although you can destroy them, if your hitbox goes anywhere near it as part of the attack (Glacius’ jumping kicks come to mind), you can still get hit by them, making them even more difficult. Meanwhile, Kan-Ra has all of the time in the world to counter with sand-spikes, command-grabs, or any number of other things.

Every character has an unbreakable combo? Really… Well then, please share them. After all, if your goal is to increase the skill of the player-base, then that’s exactly what you should do. However, at that point, I think you’ll just basically break the game or make it unfun and rather predictable once people start pickign them up and using them, like every other FG, which is what KI is NOT trying to be, hence why I think things like projectile juggles should be breakable in some form (and to a lesser extent, I also think that follow-ups attacks after combo-breakers-into-instinct should be removed too - but that’s a whole other discussion).

I pulled the word “impossible” and put it in quotes to literally quote you from, [quote=“GalacticGeek, post:19, topic:2521”]
How can they learn from it, when you yourself admittedly say that what you just did is completely unfair and they can’t do ANYTHING about it. Isn’t that the very definition of impossible? How do you learn from impossible? You can’t - your very own statement here is logically flawed (no offense).
[/quote]
Jago’s reward may be massive, but it goes to a character that has a tool set that is decreasing over time. He can’t aerial recapture, and he has no gimmick like that of most of the cast. He is an honest fundamental character.

In the example of unbreakable combos, Maya has one which involve using her daggers. I believe Kan Ra still has a couple options which we see regularly in competitive play. Sadira also has one which I believe is done off a reset or her target combo, I haven’t fought that one in a while nor played against the guy that showed me so this I could be wrong. Don’t forget Cinder, although his is very much the same as that of Jago w/ juggling projectiles:

An that is just a few examples that have been seen live in competitive play. Hell I even think Riptor has one, an not just people w/ projectiles but it makes it easier.

Shinnok was pretty cheap though… probably fixed him in a previous patch but last I remember he got meter and could spam a move without being punished.