One More Mimic Skin to GO!

So yeah, a few weeks ago I sat down and grinded Shadow Lords for like 6 hours, trying to unlock all the mimic skins I could. That much grinding though…KILLED ME…and as such I had to take a break from KI all together. But this weekend I mustered up the will to jump back in and grind some more!

So yeah, I beat SLs 15 MORE TIMES this weekend unlocking 5 more skins, leaving me with only ONE MORE TO GO!!

I’ve got three more Gargos wins to get to unlock the Fulgore Mimic skin, and then I can finally go back to enjoying (lol) KI again, and actually play SLs the legit way.

Thanks to all the @developers for making a kick ■■■ mode, one that has garnered this much devotion to try and unlock everything. Ya did good @IronGalaxy and @MicrosoftStudios.

Next is the grind to unlock all the Shadow skins, but I won’t go crazy with those. Those will come as the come, since the requirements are so steep, but Shadows may be my favorite thing about KI right now, so I know it will be fun. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I only got eyedol and hisako left afterwards I’ll use the characters whom I don’t have to lvl50.

This last weekend got the last 3 I had not unlocked during november (Cinder, Spinal and Tusk) it took a while but the reward of not using KI Gold was great.

2 Likes

Which are the best tips to unlock mimic? I have played like 20 hours SL and I far to being able of unlocking 1 costume, less all of them

Also, way everybody says that SL is a good mode to grind level 50? does it have some trick?

What I did was actually make some notes and create a plan to help me make the most optimal teams to get the maximum out of each play through. Before I did this I was just trying to play runs of maximum turns taking out as many Mimics as I could, some times targeting certain Mimics, but while I found this method great for unlocking dossiers and amassing a TON of items and Astral Gems, I was making hardly a dent in the Mimic skins counter. So yeah, ultimately the most optimal way to play in order to unlock the Mimic skins is to NOT go after individual mimics, but to go straight for Gargos every time.

Not sure if anyone else went as far as to make notes and such, but at the time when I started the process this was the first thing I thought of. I didn’t do anything crazy, just scribbles on scrap paper really, counting all the Mimics I had killed up until then for each character, and putting those numbers up against how many Mimics I had to ultimately defeat to get those skins. In doing this, I essentially found that there were like 5 categories in terms of the amount requirements for each skin (I’m doing this from memory so bear with me):

• Defeat Gargos 15 times
  • Defeat Gargos 5 times
  • Defeat 100 Mimics / Defeat Gargos 20 times
  • Defeat 75 Mimics / Defeat Gargos 15 times
  • Defeat 30 Mimics / Defeat Gargos 6 times

From there I just made teams as according to how many times I needed to defeat Gargos so I could hopefully unlock 3 skins at a time, each time. It actually worked out really well, and I actually started unlocking skins right away! Obviously though, the ones that were at the 100 count were the ones that took the longest, as defeating Gargos 20 times in a single go is draining. So yeah, it was an on and off again thing to just grind it all out.

Beyond just knowing how many times I needed to win, the most optimal way to get through SLs each time currently is to deploy as often as possible, and skip turns at every chance. Skip actually fighting as much as possible, aiming to ONLY fight Gargos at the end. When you deploy, you CAN NOT die, and because when you skip turns your characters heal 50%, you can really save on healing items, not to mention everything else.

Initially I fought all the Omens to weaken Gargos and then kill him, which took about 20 to 25 minutes each run (that’s about 3 Gargos kills an hour), but then I just decided to start utilizing my Guardians more and more, so just started using Killers during each Gargos battle, after skipping all the Omens (skipping those raises Corruption even more!), and then facing off with fully buffed Gargos. Each of those runs are about 15 mins (4 Gargos kills an hour).

Even better, now since all the nerfs to Gargos on Normal difficulty, and all the buffs they gave to the rewards for defeating Gargos when fully buffed, it is easier than ever to beat him, and you earn decent coin in the process every time.

There is a down side to doing things this way though, some of which I was able to bypass because I had played so much initially, and that is you don’t amass a lot of items or the max amount of gems, and thus you don’t get guardians and such. By the time I started “ONLY” fighting Gargos, I already had like 4 Killer Guardians, and all the other ranks of each Guardians, on top of have a TON of gems and items. But yeah, because I had so many items/components, I was able to use said items to speed up the process a lot more, especially by creating A TON of the artifacts that raise corruption.

I forget the name of the item right now (again, I’m doing all this from memory), but if you use 5 of these in succession you can automatically jump straight to fully buffed Gargos on turn 1. Due to how much I played BEFORE I started just boss rushing SLs, I was able to gain like 50 of these artifacts in my inventory at once. You can imagine how much time that saved on my final push to unlocked my last team’s Mimic skins. During my last run, each play through was like 5 minutes, so I defeated Gargos 8 time in like 40 to 45 minutes.

It is a good mode to grind all the characters to level 50 just because you can pick 3 characters and just keep playing. I don’t use that many characters, so before SLs many characters in the roster just went unused on my console (I have all the characters). Now though, I just pick a team of 3, just in to SLs, and just play in order to unlock dossiers and skins, on top of leveling up characters I wouldn’t normally play.

I’ve only got Eyedol and Kilgore left to go. Once Shadow Lords gets that fix so I can play on Normal for grinding purposes (and, of course, when Kilgore actually comes out) I’ll be hitting the pavement once more!
Hell, they might have even fixed it already. I’m just trying to make it through my run and get Kilgore to join my team.

Wow, good for you and your grind. I did the same math that you did. I was also looking for the fastest way to unlock the mimmics. The SL grind was real quick before the last update. It took about 10 min to get to Gargos.

Now I am wondering if I can unlock Kilgore’s mimmic, so I have it already when he unlocks.

Keep grinding, you will get all of them :slight_smile:

You guys are nuts, I only have like six of the skins unlocked.

I haven’t even finished SL once…

discretely tiptoes away to escape the befallen awkward silence

1 Like

I realize the mode isn’t for everyone, but as far as I can see it is just a ton of fun for casual players, or those who just enjoy single player content in there FGs. Now with the inclusion of Shadows, and even more unlockables, the mode is just getting that much better with every patch.

It is a grind for real, and honestly at first I didn’t even want to do it. But I work late, so a couple of “midnight oil” sessions went a long way. I haven’t played a legit run of SLs in like 2 months, but I’m looking forward to trying a max run using items and everything else, just taking my time, and spreading the single play through across as many days a possible.

I’m a casual player myself and never play online, but the mode still doesn’t quite do it for me. I’m not too fond of the item-crafting/managing roguelike aspect of it, as I rather go straight into the fight (Survival mode, for instance, is more my cup of tea), the same way as in a racing game I rather go straight into the race itself rather than pimping my ride first.

That said, I don’t mean to say that SL is not a good mode - on the contrary, it caters to a large public and has proved quite successful. However, it doesn’t cater to everyone, like you said, not even all casual players.

I still plan to finish it at least once, though. But the idea of spending more time managing team members, guardians and items than actually fighting kinda puts me off…

I’ve got you. I love RPGs and strategy games, as well as Action Adventure titles, so all the item management and whatnot really appeals to me. And coupled with CAM (which sort of makes the game feel more like an action game to me), the game just becomes something far different than a tradition KI game.

That being said, all I can say is that the devs are listening, so I’m sure they can/will streamline things more and more to make it more fun/accessible for more people. Just make your voice/suggestions heard

Furthermore, there are strategies that can be used currently that can make the game less directly about item management and all that though, but yeah, if Item management really isn’t you thing, there really isn’t a way to completely get away from the need to use all those added bells and whistles.