Omen Matchup?

How do you fight Omen as RAAM? I feel like I get completely smothered by him. Mostly from the constant projectiles.

1 Like

Pretty much the same way you fight all the fireball characters that want to keep you out forever: patiently walk them to the corner.

I haven’t played that match, but I assume Rasha is kinda hell compared to most other projectile zoning. You can’t FADC through it. Running Grab is easily baited, but if they like throwing M or H Rasha a mite too close, it’ll work. Good news is your reversal should help out against his Rasha>Glide approaches. But ultimately I think the tried and true patient walk down will comprise a large part of the match for you. It’s not terribly exciting or glamorous, but that’s grapplers vs fireballs.

More good news, though, is if you can touch him once, he’ll have to come to you to make up the life, and he’ll have to open you up a handful of times cuz he hits like a bubble. Grab and EX Grab can help thwart his pressure too, just be wary of when he’s got full bar - Omen’s are cheeky and will try to bait you into a Despair if they can.

His fireball shenanigans take a long time to execute–it’s as if he’s baking a cake when he tries to pop them off.

If you can anticipate his fireballs, Kryll Rush works unusually well against them. If you’re 50% or so away from him, you’ll reach him before he’s done with his animation.

Then, it’s the normal gameplan against a zoner–once you have them, never let them go.

If you don’t think you’ll make it all the way over to him before he finishes, you can go with light Kryll Rush to eat the fireballs and close some good distance (light brings you about 1/2 screen). Against other zoners, I’d worry about punishment during recovery, but as I said, Omen takes awhile to put fireballs out there.

For what it’s worth, I think Omen’s a pretty tough one, too. He demands some quick reactions.

2 Likes