Omen Alternate Costume Sketch | Idea

A potential Alternate Costume sketch for Omen, or possible idea for a redesign for a future sequel.

I was basically going for a "What if Scenerio, where once Gargos was defeated, Omen decided to take his place as the Great Shadow Lord, possibly giving him more power as a result, turning the once loyal henchmen into a evil tyrant of ultimate power, left over from his own master. Just something to really flesh the giy put, rather then just being a mindless minion. If anything, if a sequel ever did happen, I’d be all for this change, maybe even giving him the spotlight of being a potential main villain/Boss type.

Plus, if Spinals redesign from the reboot taught me anything, if your character is practically naked, putting any kind of cloths on them automatically makes them more interesting, design wise.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, dude! :smiley:

To an extent, yes, but it also depends on what those items and clothes are. In the case of Spinal, in the first KI, he was a skeleton with a headband, spike gauntlets and a shield, nothing special visually. In the case of 2013 design, though, I think it is a more interesting variant of that design, although I think it tells much more of a story in relation to his character that also has some little eldritch horror touches that really opens the character up in terms of fascinating directions/possibilities like the Cthulhu shield, which I hope is kept in future KIs (it’s just too cool to be replaced).

2 Likes

Perhaps I should’ve worded it differently, but that’s more or less what I was referring to by mentioning his comparison. I mean you cant just put ‘anything’ onto a character and expect it to stick, unless of course within the lore, it’d makes sense why they’d look that way context wise. Then again, I guess for this game’s purpose, that’s what alternate accessories are for. (Trick r Treat Eyedol, or VOLTRON Jago, anyone?)

However I do agree on the aspect of the design itself ‘telling a story’.

In fact, I recall that’s almost the exact wording Double Helix used when designing for Jago’s new costume in an older interview, having it actually tie not only his character and backstory, but to the stage itself seeing he actually used pieces of the temple to form his attire.

Which is why from this basic sketch, I figured maybe Omen could invoke more of an “ancient warrior look, with added demon-armor” of sorts, with resemblances and color patterns that match more with Shadow Jago, being his physical host and all. Just something to make him appear more dangerous rather than just a floating mask, while at the same time, showing what would also happen if he upgraded himself to something beyond typical grunt status.

I think it is a more interesting variant of that design, although I think it tells much more of a story in relation to his character that also has some little eldritch horror touches that really opens the character up in terms of fascinating directions/possibilities like the Cthulhu shield, which I hope is kept in future KIs (it’s just too cool to be replaced).

I absolutely agree, the reboot design of Spinal probably had some of the best aspects of what you described, almost to a point where I’d say that itself became iconic for the newer generation. Seeing just how specific it is to his persona. (The massive shield with moving tentacles, the wicked green aurora and skull ghosts, plus all the broken ship-parts tied all around his body, its crazy just how radically different the retro one is to the new one.)

If a sequel ever does get made, really curious how they could build upon it.

1 Like