New "Shadow Lab" Options

The Shadows mode is really cool! I love it far more than I initially thought I would, as in my household it is sometimes hard to get the Internet completely clear as to have non-laggy online matches. With the Shadows Mode though, I can get competitive matches and (for now) is a great way for me to practice up and better learn how to play the game.

Anyway, IMO there are some options within the Shadows Mode that I think are missing, and would definitely make the Shadows experience better. One in particular that is glaring to me is there not being an option to continuously challenge Shadows one after the other.

Being able to challenge an endless line of shadows rather than having to keep on selecting them by navigating the laggy menu options would be Awesome. ā€˜Shadow Survival Modeā€™ is the closest thing we have to this currentlyā€¦but that is survival mode. I think an endless line of ā€˜best of 3ā€™ Shadow matches would be fun too, as it would better simulate online ranked where after a match in that mode you just have to chose ā€œsearchā€ and wait for another match to queue up. Being able to just continuously fight opponents one after the other with little to no menu navigation would be great!

Update:

Another thing that really should be addressed, less an option, more a feature, is showing up front which shadows are within the 24 hour ā€œcool downā€ period after playing them, and which Shadows are available to fight.

This ā€œ24 hourā€ restriction is somewhat off putting, as I canā€™t say I understand fully why it is there, but if it is going to be there, maybe there should be something showing when that shadow will be available again.

Case in point:

2 days ago I got on KI really late, like at 11PM, and played for like 3-4 hours in the Shadows Lab. Cut to yesterday, when I got home from work at about 7pm, and none of the shadows that I played the previous day (Friends mostly) were availableā€¦but I couldnā€™t tell which ones.

Besides the fact that I could challenge my friendā€™s Shadows, the best I could do to see which ones were available was to select each one, wait for them to load, and then see which one the game would allow me to challenge.

I then went to the overall listings to find some matches, to also find that many of those too were locked due to the restriction, one after the other as I was going down the line.

FYI: I still fought a bunch of shadows in that session yesterday, I just had to go deeper into the listings, like 20 - 30 level.

Again, it is fine that there is a restriction, I just think it would do some good to show up front which Shadows were available, and also show a timer of some sort before having to select them individually in order to see when those Shadows will be available again.

I like your best of 3 idea as it would help better train our shadows (and theirs) in order to see just how they adapt to the situation at hand. Plus, more fights means more data, right? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure someone has proposed it before, but Iā€™d like the ability to pit shadow against shadow and watch the results, because that would truly give you an idea of how well trained both shadows are - remove the active human element entirely.

2 Likes

Even though I feel like shadows mode is meant to give players an experience that is as close to the competitive 1v1 game without actually playing a human opponent, I would absolutely love this as an option. We could even have shadow tournaments for fun then.

Yea this just sounds like tons of fun lol

Another thing that really should be addressed, less an option, more a feature, is showing up front which shadows are within the 24 hour ā€œcool downā€ period after playing them, and which Shadows are available to fight.

This ā€œ24 hourā€ restriction is somewhat off putting, as I canā€™t say I understand fully why it is there, but if it is going to be there, maybe there should be something showing when that shadow will be available again.

Case in point:

2 days ago I got on KI really late, like at 11PM, and played for like 3-4 hours in the Shadows Lab. Cut to yesterday, when I got home from work at about 7pm, and none of the shadows that I played the previous day (Friends mostly) were availableā€¦but I couldnā€™t tell which ones.

Besides the fact that I could challenge my friendā€™s Shadows, the best I could do to see which ones were available was to select each one, wait for them to load, and then see which one the game would allow me to challenge.

I then went to the overall listings to find some matches, to also find that many of those too were locked due to the restriction, one after the other as I was going down the line.

FYI: I still fought a bunch of shadows in that session yesterday, I just had to go deeper into the listings, like 20 - 30 level.

Again, it is fine that there is a restriction, I just think it would do some good to show up front which Shadows were available, and also show a timer of some sort before having to select them individually in order to see when those Shadows will be available again.

I agree wtih everything you listed

also need a search Shadow optionā€¦ instead of searching in Xbox friends, adding friends, then gong back to shadows / friends to challenge someoneā€¦ other wise you have to go through leader boards and search for an hour to find someone

also i have asked several times for the Survival ladder to be dropped or add a normal ladder with no health bar handicap. I cant stand survivalā€¦ its not a fair representation of a match that you want to record data from

I could go on and on about shadowsā€¦ which i have made this list beforeā€¦and nothing really changed except replays

Its by far one of the best game modes in fighting gamesā€¦ it need more attention to lead the way for shadows mode IMO

Hereā€™s hoping for some Shadow Lab changes in S3!

I just realized that you could watch the replays of the fights that your Shadows loose. It is a good feature, and it does help you figure out deficiencies in your Shadows, as well as some of the short comings in your own playstyle.

I canā€™t agree with this more. When it was first announced, I didnā€™t understand why they were spending time creating this mode, but after investing a bunch of time into it, I can definitively say that the mode has helped me get better, all while having fun training my Shadow.

Cool storyā€¦

a week or so ago I tested my Jago Shadow against my TJ, and I absolutely wrecked my Jago. Needless to say I was a bit disappoint that my Shadow didnā€™t put up much of a fight. Cut to yesterday, and I decided to test it again just to see if anything changedā€¦my Shadow beat me twice, and of the 5 or so matches that I did, 2 of my wins came after I was put in the ā€˜last breathā€™ state.

I do believe my Shadow is learning. Lol!

Edit: where is the list you made? Iā€™d love to read it, as Iā€™m just now getting into this mode. Iā€™m left wondering what other suggestions have been put out thereā€¦

I believe its in the old shadow mode Q&A or Shadow mode suggestions thread. Hell I have made so many i lost track of them. they are out there though.