New "Mortal Kombat" Movie First Look!

Who Forgot to Invite Chun-Li to the Mortal Kombat?

No really- how in the world did they forget Mortal Kombat icons like Chun-Li, Aganos, Heihachi Mishima, Banjo & Kazooie, and Bad Mr. Frosty in the new movie?! (Click the link, badly written news is bad.)

-Zenek

1 Like

…You gotta be kidding me. -_-
Really? There’s an article complaining about Chun-Li being absent from “Mortal Kombat”?

I mean, granted, it would be awesome if either her or Ryu were to appear in anything “Mortal Kombat”-related, be it a game or movie someday, but come on! How do you s c r e w up your facts like that?!
*shakes head

1 Like

A side-by-side comparison between the original and new rebooted MK films

It’s interesting seeing the two side by side. There are definitely things I like in this new MK, although there are somethings I kind of like a little more from the 95 movie so far. I love both versions of Sub-Zero, although there’s something about the stony look of the mask from the older version that suggests something kind of ancient that I like. I absolutely love Sub-Zero’s costume in the new version with the intricate metal armor and details in his mask, though. Goro, they both look good, although I’m a little more impressed with the 1995 movie’s due to the fact that it’s a full-on animatronic that looks pretty convincing, even for a puppet from the mid-90s, although the mouth is a little bit off (though to be fair, it is an animatronic). That’s not to say the CG Goro looks bad or anything, but with CG, there is that risk of making it not seem right, be it in the lighting and skin details, animation, etc. I think he looks good so far, but I’ll need to see more before I can say which is better.
New Raiden is pretty game accurate, although I think the Christopher Lambert’s striking white palette in his costume and hair made him visually pop out and distinctive.
LOVE Shang Tsung’s warlord-esque armor - my big concern, though, mainly has to do with the actors for him and Raiden. I’ll definitely give them a chance, though.
Reptile…I’ll be straight up, I LOVED the human version of Reptile, and while it is cool seeing him in his lizard form, I have to admit that I am a little disappointed that the human version of the character won’t be appearing. Then again, who knows?

1 Like

We should probably wait until the movie comes out before making comparisons

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re probably right.

I want to see the film first before I make the comparisons.

2 Likes

One thing I couldn’t help notice in the trailer is that it seems to hint at some sort of relationship between Scorpion and Cole. Do you think that he could be Hanzo Hasashi’s reincarnation, or perhaps his son?

Here’s a new poster, this one featuring Kabal:

3 Likes

I have a feeling that once people see this movie and realise the absolutely horrendous leaks are true they’ll quickly want to forget it ever existed.

It couldn’t be any worse than “Annihilation”. At least the costume and production design looks good.

The visual look of the film appears to be spot on. How the actual film will be, of course, is another question.

Oh yeah annihilation was not great.

Only way to find out is to see. Though I’am anticipating a disappointment or two.

1 Like

Here’s a new photo of Nitara:

I am so happy that she has her wings! :smiley:

1 Like

Anybody seen the movie? If so, what are your thoughts?

Not yet, Gonna see it with a friend of mine tommarrow. this is a friend that I hang out with from time to time on a saturday.

Just watched MK. The 1995 movie was much better. It begins really epic, but it derailed afterward. Lots of good ideas, but a muddled story.

I just watched it as well. I got exactly what I expected: a cheesy flick that was lots of fun. I preferred it to the original 1995 film overall, as it kept the spirit of the characters intact better I felt.

Though it had a few too many characters than were needed which lacked in development.

I also wasn’t keen on Cole.

Overall though, good potential for sequels.

How do you mean? I mean, the original 1995 film was generally faithful to the source material.

Just like the new film, it was in some respects, but completely off the mark in others. Interestingly the games incorporated several of the different things into the lore because of the film: Some examples off the top of my head:

• Raiden being a mentor and protector of Earthrealm
  • Reptile being an actual reptilian creature as opposed to a ninja-reptile proper
  • The dilapidated boat of Shang’s taking contestants to his island
  • Kitana being present during the Shaolin Tournament
  • The concept of a Johnny/Sonya romance

Keep in mind, when the film released, Mortal Kombat 3 had recently launched in arcades and the main inspiration for the film’s story were the first two games.

Things it got completely wrong:

• Scorpion and Sub-Zero being slaves of Shang’s
  • Young Shang during the tournament
  • Goro vs Johnny
  • A big part of Liu’s motivation was the loss of his brother to Shang. Liu is supposed to be an orphan.
  • Travelling to Outworld and the lack of a tournament there.

Again, these are all off the top of my head.

2 Likes