Net Neutrality (It's important folks)

Donald Trump Jr. still wins his bet because a phrase like this shows the internet guy doesn’t understand the issue. The FCC can’t give anyone any rights. A right, by definition, and as stated clearly in the U.S. constitution isn’t bestowed by the government. That’s what makes our constitution different than most. Everyone thinks that every more or less democratic society in developed countries is the same - but it isn’t. In the commonwealth countries and the U.K., subjects of the monarchy are granted rights by the monarchy - including things like the right to assemble and form a government. The U.S. is different. You can talk about how much that matters in day to day practice, but it is still the reality.

Someone’s livelihood is always at stake. But whose? And is the “solution” being proposed really going to fix the problem and do it in an equitable way?

Okay, except it’s not extortion to charge for a service. We have toll roads all over the place, and the people who are campaigning for net neutrality are hugely fond of toll roads. We just added flex tolls to a major commuter road into Washington - where all this drama is happening. But for some reason, then people who manage the “roads” of the internet are not allowed to put up tolls, or set parameters on who can drive where, how fast or at what times. Because we want those roads. That’s fine logic, but we don’t apply it to anything other than ISPs. Google is in legal hot water in the EU and in the US for all kinds of unsavory practices. They have a monopoly on internet video through YouTube and they are abusing the hell out of content creators for MASSIVE profits. No one is willing to stand up to them because Google is incredibly powerful. They have a near monopoly on internet searching. Again, I’m not particularly afraid of Google. But if I’m afraid of a company abusing their power and control I’m not AT ALL worried about Comcast bullying Google.

The government is also “people.” And can be corrupted by power as well - as was the case when the FCC illegally regulated ISPs prior to 2015. They exercised power, without the authority and without any vote of Congress or public survey or any of the nonsense that everyone is clamoring for now. And all they are doing is reversing (some of) what they did in 2015.

I am not arguing in favor of awesome, super, benevolent ISPs. Comcast and Verizon are not my friends. But neither are google or Netflix. And I’m looking at the history of FCC regulation and I see NOTHING that makes me think the FCC will be effective in protecting consumers from companies accruing power. Look at TV, Cable, Radio and Telephone services in the U.S. and their history. Of those, two were DELIBERATELY monopolized by FCC regulation (Cable and Telephone) and the other two were virtually monopolized as a result of the fact that regulation generally stifles innovation. It’s very difficult for startups and new players to enter a heavily regulated environment. Their big competitors have a huge advantage in dealing with government regulators and use that advantage to squash them. TV in the U.S. was a shared monopoly between 3 stations that purchased the rights from the FCC. For 50 years. It wasn’t until Cable started allowing TV stations to broadcast without using airwaves that new networks (Fox, CNN, ESPN) were able pop up in the USA. Meanwhile, the FCC encouraged cable monopolies that then charged people and are able to sell bloated million channel “packages” that no one wants in order to overcharge when all anyone really wants is HBO. These companies “extort” fees and negotiate agreements to carry or not carry channels on their packages all the time. While under FCC regulations that DO NOT ALLOW for competition in that market. So, Cable companies went nuts until the mid-90’s when fiber optic phone lines and satellite were able to again, skirt FCC rules and offer TV services not through “cable.” And the cable companies tried desperately to use the FCC to stop it.

So I am very VERY skeptical of this idea that somehow the FCC is going to regulate ISPs to ensure consumer protection when they have failed to provide consumer friendly policies in EVERY area that they have had control of since the 1930’s. Yes, some of this is my inherent political biases, but I’m not seeing anything I would describe as evidence to the contrary.

Anyway, as @R1stormrider keeps pointing out, good luck to the first cable company that blocks Netflix.

Because the Attorney General’s office in one of the 50 states is a great place to launch a national political career. And also because they take money from giant tech companies that will be impacted. It’s New York, California and Washington state that are leading the call to sue the FCC. Know any big tech companies headquartered in these states (Google, Amazon, Microsoft for example). Again - I’m not even criticizing this action. I would be happy to take money from giant tech companies. Maybe they are right. But you can’t just stare up at the sky and say “gosh, why would politicians be doings something about it if it wasn’t important?” If that was our standard of gullibility on everything we would be in a sorry place indeed. If I put examples here, it will get too political for the forums, but if you want some I will gladly give you a dozen policy initiatives that the net neutrality people hate where I could counter with “gosh, why would politicians be doing something about it if it wasn’t important?” The issue for the states in court will be about federal pre-emption of state laws. We had another “discussion” around state’s right to set their own rules around 1860 - and NO ONE in the U.S. is going to sit around and argue that States are allowed to set their own rules for that issue. The standard is that states are only allowed to pass laws regulating things that the federal government does not address. They can’t controvert federal laws and rules (although there are lots of examples where they do). It’s not quite so cut and dry but that’s the general principle. So these lawsuits will be decided entirely based around arcane legal theory that has literally NOTHING to do with whether or not net neutrality is good or bad for consumers. But all you will hear in the papers and from the mouths of politicians and AG’s will be about how they are fighting for the consumers in their states.

1 Like

Maybe I’m reading too much in to some twitter rando’s intention, but I don’t think he meant “right” in the way you’re describing, but more in the sense that the FCC’s not going to stand in the way of ISPs discriminating among web traffic. I don’t think he meant that the FCC was “granting them ability,” but I could be wrong.

Well, it depends on whose solution you’re talking about. This does seem to be a political issue, or why else would Net Neutrality be repealed on a party line vote? So is the Obama regulation the solution or is giving ISPs “freedom” the solution, even if it potentially allows them to do things to consumers that we might not like? Does that allow them to keep service the way people expect it or even improve it, or does it simply help their bottom line at the expense of our wallets?

I honestly don’t know the answer here. I’m not even going to pretend to. I have my own bias, for sure. I tend to be cynical when it comes to corporate greed simply because we saw what happened in the events leading up to the recent recession. So yeah, I’d be curious to know what the solution is here that would benefit everyone the most.

Yeah I’m not worried about any of these companies bullying each other. I didn’t mean to imply that I was.

Just curious, do you think that some of these companies should be broken up? Google? Amazon? Disney seems to be buying everything in sight. How about ISPs like Comcast and Charter? There doesn’t seem to be a ton of competition on many areas. Could fostering competition help keep costs down even if some of the worst fears about “tolls” being put up on the information highway come to pass?

What you’re saying makes sense. It just seems like a shame that regulations couldn’t be written to help ease startups in to the arena and help foster innovation as opposed to favoring the established players and essentially creating monopolies in each area, and I do agree that each area has had monopolies at various times. No question.

I’m curious though. Do you think that the seeds for monopolies grow more freely in a regulated landscape or an unregulated landscape? I’m sure every industry and every situation within an industry is different, but can’t it be argued that Clinton’s repeal of Glass Steagall was incredibly influential in allowing banks to grow and devour one another and become what they became in the last 20+ years? Again, just curious.

No, I know. I’ve already seen a video on facebook of an AG doing exactly this. I’m not that naive, even if I’ll again confess to my ignorance on substantial parts of this issue.

But why do you assume that career advancement is their one and only motivation? Is it impossible to think that they’d be doing this not just for Google’s sake or Microsoft’s sake, but because they also think it’s a good idea for regular people too? I’m not saying that it is or that it isn’t. I’m just saying that you seem to be taking the stance that the government can’t be trusted and that’s fine, but who should people trust then?

I think I mentioned it above, so my apologies if I’m repeating myself, but what do you think is the ideal scenario here as far as how net neutrality plays out? What do you think regular people’s rights should be, what do you think ISPs rights should be, small site owners and big traffic users rights should be etc and how should this go forward? What would you like to see or what makes the most sense to you?

I don’t know. I keep using the telephone monopoly as an example, but when the long distance monopoly was broken up (AT&T) into regional monopolies (the “baby bells”) long distance service didn’t improve. It got worse and it created new problems just like the ISP issue - distant services using local lines and not wanting to pay to maintain those local lines.

I am generally very skeptical of government intervention, and the government already tried to go after internet tech companies and challenge their service monopolies in the 90s and early 2000s and it was both ineffective and not really needed. The Clintons went after Microsoft for Internet Explorer because they were pals with the Netscape people. They extracted millions from MS but it didn’t save netscape or create more competition in the web browser space. MS managed to do that by making IE suck (sorry MS guys). I can’t imagine competition for YouTube springing up and I honestly don’t want to have to spread my time between a dozen different video hosting services to find stuff. Twitch has a near monopoly on streaming. I would like to support Mixer - not out of deranged loyalty to MS but because competition is good. But the sheer volume of traffic on Twitch is a huge plus. It’s really tough to start a competing service. And although I might like to see more competition, I think the government trying to regulate it would only lead to worse things. For the record - I used to work in a government regulatory agency. I am not blanketly opposed to regulation or anti-government. I just have a pretty clear understanding of the unintended consequences of regulation and I think it should be used sparingly.

So, the short version is “I don’t know.”

Because I am old and jaded and I have sat in the office of a congressman that I voted for and realized upon meeting him that he was an egomaniacal jerk. I think being a politician is hard, and it takes a certain kind of person. I think it is very unlikely that you get to that level of success in that kind of career without having a very practical decision-making criteria and that criteria is “if it will advance my career I will do it.” Politicians that I agree with on the issues and ones I disagree with can both be counted on to consistently lie, bend the truth, distract from important issues with trivia or red herrings. People generally tend to forgive the politicians on “their team” for these sins and excoriate those on the “other team.” But I pay attention to what I see and I can’t seem to delude myself. So yes - I have a cynical view.

I don’t know. My first desire would be for people to stop conflating “net neutrality” with FCC regulation, and specifically the Obama era regulations in question. Those regulations did lots of things, not just ensure ISPs couldn’t self regulate internet traffic over their lines. I’d also like people to stop throwing up “examples” of what might happen that they KNOW are illogical or unlikely. Comcast isn’t going to block Facebook.

One of the reasons I find this all aggravating is that I don’t think we are going to love everything about the future of the internet, whether we have net neutrality or not. We are already seeing a proliferation of streaming services (which kind of tells me that the streaming services are getting the sweetheart deal at present, not the ISPs). Disney is starting their own and pulling content from Netflix. The US tv networks are all starting their own (ABC, CBS, HBO…). As it stands we have to subscribe to any or all of these to watch content. It’s not all that different from cable TV. We are seeing more commercials sold into these services because ultimately, we aren’t going to get all this high quality expensive to produce entertainment for $14 a month. That’s not going to last forever no matter what happens with net neutrality. I would love it if it did, but I don’t see it happening.

1 Like

Isn’t the premise of the whole fast lane/slow lane concept already kind of happening at the moment? Some companies may not be throttling speed for using certain services but they offer certain perks for using particular services. T-Mobile offers to users who use streaming services like Netflix for example that using Netflix doesn’t go towards your data usage.

I’m not for giving either large corporations or government more power over anything in my life but I don’t have a particular solution to the problem either. It’s a shame that we have to but I guess we will have to just see what happens. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes