Net Neutrality (It's important folks)

Isn’t there a rule or something about no political stuff allowed? Net neutrality is fine to discuss and all but isn’t it too far when assumptions get thrown around as facts. Let’s stay calm and discuss net-neutrality and avoid whether if the US is really the land of the free. If you want to discuss American Freedom, feel free to take it to PMs. @BigBadAndy You brought up some very solid points on why things are the way they are. I agree that competition works the best.

12 Likes

are you ■■■■■■■ kidding me? i aint white, i aint oppressed. im free to make my own way here in the U.S. i will succeed or fail entirely by my own merits. if you cant afford something, the ball is in YOUR court to cowboy the ■■■■ up and do something about it. nobody will stand in your way but yourself

it doesnt matter what ■■■■■■ race or gender you are. if you have the drive, and the motivation, you can make your way here. thats freedom, thats what living in the U.S. can bring. im proud of my country and even more proud of my great state of texas. so yeah, keep your BS to yourself cuz you know nothing of what youre talkin about.

also @BigBadAndy your entire post about the FCC and neutrality was on point. im all for a free market solution with competition between ISPs being facilitated. we were doin just fine before NN was put into place anyhow

6 Likes

Fellas please, let’s stop jabbing at one another and keep things civil. I want to keep things here focused on the issue and not on indifferences and one’s ideologies.

5 Likes

The only people benefitting from this are the already super rich CEOs because hey they just need even more money. This is terrible for everyone around the globe.

1 Like

In all honesty they kinda have to be money grubbing jerks. Once a company goes public in the stock market it’s the CEO’s job to make sure the investors stock prices are ever increasing, and if they don’t make that bottom line better by laying off employees or jacking up prices because they have a conscience, they’ll get replaced with someone that doesn’t have one.
I’m sure there are some out there that try to make the world a better place. But if they don’t, oh well, they can cry into their huge pile of money.

1 Like

And overall the elites/elite class as well as even (I think) the super-elites for that particular matter :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Perhaps they can increase their stock prices by…I don’t know…offering a better product?

2 Likes

yes lol gtfo. you dont even live here dude. here let me enlighten you.

1. women dont apply for high risk jobs with hazard pay. girls arent gonna apply at an offshore oil rig, or some kind of job that can you know…KILL YOU. they also dont pick up trades that rake in big bucks like welding/fabrication. these high risk, high paying jobs are what men do. women have no interest in possibly dying or getting maimed by an accident

2. black men work just as much or just as little as anybody else. all of that is dictated by the path they chose in life. “white privilege” that you foolishly brought up, doesnt ■■■■■■■ exist. there are tons of ppl of varying ethnicities that make more money and enjoy more luxuries than white ppl.

3. what rights are they denied? last i checked they can still find work, own property, vote, enjoy the liberties straight ppl do. one of my ■■■■■■■ friends recently married her lover of many years. i was real happy for her. you wanna talk about denial of rights? ill kindly direct you to middle eastern countries.

5 Likes

I’m not anti-US and I don’t mean to sound like it.

But too many times do I see people turn a blind eye to the issues there and pretend there are none.

All I ask is for people to not just look at what some randomer on the internet says about these things and then just accept that as truth.

Get informed. Read up on the issue, find out what it truly is about, find out how it affects you and your country, learn from your mistakes and take that knowledge with you and do what you can to make sure it won’t happen again.

Don’t just nod like a mindless doll and accept that just because companies and businesses need to earn money, then it’s alright for them to screvv over people.

And don’t hide behind blind patriotism when someone outside points at the obvious flaws.
Just like being a blind fanboy who can’t see the problems with a game they love is only halting it from evolving and getting better.

Being critical of something doesn’t mean you don’t like it. On the contrary… it means you care and wants it to be better, to improve, to do good. It’s hard to stand by and watch as my friends in the US are suffering from the issues other people turn a blind eye to, because it doesn’t affect them. Then it gets really hard to be kind to those people, when they would rather pretend nothing’s wrong and let the lesser fortunate suffer the consequences of their inaction…

Can you guys take this pro/anti U.S. discussion to DM’s? I’d honestly like to stay on topic.

5 Likes

I concur with wrath!

3 Likes

I think @BigBadAndy hit the nail on the head. Companies are companies and as a business, it IS their job to look for ways to make money. IF companies didn’t push boundaries to put more funds into their accounts, they’d go out of business.

As a consumer it is our job to push back if they go too far.

It is the government’s job to insure all parties are playing by fair rules.

However, even the government can have its own agenda.

Recently in California, carriers such as ATT, Verizon, Sprint, and T-mobile, are pushing to change legislation so that there is less red tape in respect adding more towers to a location. All in all, more towers would equal better coverage and less complaints for customers, while saving costs of dealing with the mounds of government bureaucracy that carriers generally have to go through.

It makes good sense, but lots of government lobbiests are totally against it, stating old wives tales in regards to towers causing cancer, destroying the environment (most towers in the inner city are actually added to buildings). The reality is, their REAL reasons, having nothing to do with people’s lives or the life of Mr. Random Coyote, but the government would lose potential income.

In respect to the discussion of the US…

Look folks no country is perfect. Yes, racism, sexism, all the above still exist in the US of A. It does. Nobody here is pretending it doesn’t. HOWEVER, all in all the greater majority of the US population fully enjoy the freedoms provided for them. My Grandpa was a Native American orphan, who grew up in one of the poorest areas in Oklahoma. He went to collage with nothing and with hard work and determination, he overcame every obstacle that was tossed in his way, and ended up becoming very well too do.

That is what we call the American Dream, having nothing, and making something for yourself.

The current CEO of ATT (Ralph Dela Vega), was a Cuban refugee who was forced to leave his family behind to come to the US. He lived with his grandmother who was dirt poor, and she encouraged him to become a citizen (when he was old enough), stay in school, and go to collage. He did with the help of funds provided by guess what… the US government. He went on to become a bright a shining engineer, started to work at ATT, and walked up the corporate latter.

@BigBadAndy, @STORM179, and myself have traveled all over the world and I have been to many different countries and I can honestly say, none of them were perfect, and almost everyone of them had some gripe or so with the US.

However, we do the same thing in respect to other countries. I’m sure most people in the US gonna think Pakistan has nothing but terrorists living there, but in reality that greater majority of Pakistanis are wonderful human beings.

In short, don’t judge others by the limited information your receive (this holds true for the OP article). Nothing is ever as black and white as you are sometimes led to believe.

8 Likes

From what I understand, the main point being pushed by those in favor of pulling back on the 2015 laws and allowing internet providers to limit/tailor their services is removing disincentives for companies to expand infrastructure and services to low-income or rural regions that don’t enjoy much currently.

Speaking of which, I just saw this yesterday, and it is somewhat related:

Personally I wouldn’t need anything like this in my ruralarea as we have service through the phone company (it’s a bit backwards that they require a landline and still charge for long distance use in 2017, but I have no data cap and awesome speed, so who am I to complain), but it’s good that they’re trying new methods of getting internet to more people.

3 Likes

Well no, I didn’t mean to imply that the video had “all they need to know.” I said that the video lets you know who the players are, what’s happening, why, and why it’s important. To me, that’s kinda the basics. The who, what, when, where, etc. More a shallow summary of what’s currently going rather than a deep dive on a complex issue. I didn’t mean to imply that it had everything a person would need and if I did that, then that was certainly my bad.

I like Oliver and I’d have to assume that his team does a substantial amount of research before airing a story, but I’m also the kind of person that wants news from multiple sources and wants to read / consume as much first hand, unfiltered information as possible, so it’s not like I’d be using a comedy show as my only source of information, but that’s just me. I just thought that this was a good starting point for people that don’t know much about this issue. That’s all. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Closing this temporarily, for obvious reasons.

3 Likes