Microsoft Trying To Find A New Dev For KI

Oh dude, calling me a sycophant isn’t helping your argument. You’re spouting off these matters of opinions as if facts.

True: I think IG did a better job with KI than NRS or Capcom with their respective games.

True: I want IG to return because in my mind they made creative characters that added their own playstyles to the meta - including things such as Riptor’s stances. Also, I think they made a very well-balanced game with all characters being viable. And there are many who know this game in & out who would agree.

But if the best you can do is, “You love IG, therefore anything you say is bunk,” you have nothing. So whatever. You do you and shout into the ether.

Actually I didn’t call you a sycophant. I was using that term generally speaking, referring to nobody specific.

Because they aren’t matters of opinions - these are the bare naked facts. Compare the work IG has been doing S2 onward with DH’s work, but that would actually require effort on your part. IG has done some things well like Tusk, Maya and Kim Wu, but even then, those three were the most generic characters in KI. The retros were better than DH’s (well, generally speaking) - I’ll gladly admit that. Eyedol was terrific - I will gladly admit that. Cinder is just okay. Not good, not bad, just okay (though the mouth and fish lips on his mask is stupid and makes him look like the Gill Man). Gargos, TJ and Riptor, the animation in Maya’s and Kan-Ra’s stages, though? The Ultimates and stage ultras? Please. What a joke.

In some areas. Generally, however, NRS did better than IG, especially in the art department (seriously, IG’s work is so generic as hell). After all, they have the awards to prove it. When did KI Season 3 get an award, if any? Oh yeah, when NRS didn’t have a game out at the time! If it hadn’t been for the fact that NRS didn’t have a game out and that SFV had $hat the bed so spectacularly, KI S3 wouldn’t have won anything.

While also borrowing extremely heavily from “Street Fighter” in moves (cough cough Gargos, Mira). Aganos and Hisako were very well done, I’ll give them that. Eyedol was also really good. I think they’ve also done a pretty good job with General Raam, Arbiter and Rash as well. Shin Hisako, Eagle and Kilgore? Vomit. Yet more examples.

That’s a kind of dubious statement. No fighting game is ever “balanced”, and in KI2013 there have been some broken stuff, even glitches. Generally speaking, KI2013 is a fun game, but it is also one with problems that prevent it from being great.

Please. There have been others on here who have criticized IG for their work and have pointed out their wrongdoing in the past and the problems with the game, and rightfully so. Meanwhile, you gleefully avert your eyes and like to pretend that nothing’s wrong when the Emperor is wearing no clothing and is crapping as he walks. And when someone dares point out their mistakes (*gasp heaven forbid!), you willfully leap into action to save the day on IG’s behalf when by all accounts you should call them out on their BS.

The refusal to admit anything wrong and the degree of unquestioning loyalty you have to IG would make guys like CDProject Red proud. With that kind of tunnel vision, it can allow people like them to get away with anything. Because who cares about quality, right? KI’s been gone for twenty plus years, with only three titles and barely a legacy aside from some trading cards, comics, etc and is on life support with an uncertain future, with Microsoft ready to pull the plug at any moment, but go ahead. Keep telling yourself nothing is wrong. If you click your heels three times and say it long enough, you just might buy into it. Your silence speaks volumes. As a KI fan (assuming you are one), you should be concerned.

See, the difference is that I am okay with the faults IG has because I find them minor. You find them major - for whatever reason - to go on and on about it.

I want IG to make the next KI because I think they can do it. And I think they would do a better job than any other studio. You haven’t said anything to convince me otherwise. Your problems with my response is your problems, not mine.

And that’s all there is to it. Because if IG makes another KI, there will be plenty of people to buy it just like last time. And it will have good netcode too. No shade to DH either, but they don’t exist anymore so you’ll have to move on with your life. Much like I intend to move on from this thread.

I would recommend you do the same.

1 Like

Because their faults aren’t exactly so minor and because I don’t support the “good enough” mentality that their work seems to be largely based around, if not encourage, something symptomatic of this “develop as you go” style gaming brought on by the whole Seasons thing. Because I’m not some mindless sheep that will complacently and blindly accept whatever’s given no questions asked. I prefer to think about things and see the details in their entirety, good and bad, especially in relation to how it positively and negatively affects KI as a series. Granted, every developer is bound to make mistakes from time to time, if not face problems during development, be it due to lack of time, budget, crunch time, etc - not unheard of. That said, there are developers that would make every effort to rectify their mistakes and push their very best foot forward, some of them even more vulnerable with fewer teams in their studios, if any, with barely any backing, if at all in comparison. IG is competent at what they do, but in no shape or form would I say that they are outstanding in their work. Their main line of work had been in ports, but from the few games they had under their belt, they aren’t devs that inspire confidence. Yes, I know, the same could be said of DH given the bad games they themselves had made, BUT, with that in mind, they also had a history of making good games back when they were Shiny and The Collective, with people that had been involved with Tekken, “Skullgirls” and “Weaponlord”. IG borrows a LOT from “Street Fighter”, especially in the moves, which really makes me think that they had really wanted to make an SF game (although to be fair, who wouldn’t?). IG had also developed the port for “Arkham Knight”, a port so notoriously awful that Warner Bros had to issue an apology, along with “Extinction”, a game considered to be one of the worst games of the year. And their art style is so generic it’s not even funny.
If a developer were to do a new KI, I would want them to make sure that everything would be up to snuff, including story, art, animations, music, and gameplay, and that KI would be given a bigger budget. “Good enough” doesn’t win the awards nor ensures a longer lasting legacy, nor does it save moribund franchises from getting canned. “Good enough” is just “good enough”, and as a fan, you should be concerned and hold them accountable, if not hold a higher standard. Loyalty to a series and/or developer is one thing, but blind loyalty is dangerous.

People will buy it because of there being a new KI, that I don’t doubt, but that won’t matter if the game itself is developed via the same method on an even smaller budget and if they make the same mistakes, if not even worse ones and the game ends up becoming $hit as a result. You could have great netcode, but if your game is a turd, no amount of good netcode in the world will save it.

In terms of developers, NRS would be ideal given their pedigrees with “Injustice” and the MK games. Whatever issues you might have with them, these guys do know their stuff and have the awards to prove they’re more than capable of making a good KI game. IG is competent, but again, very much a “good enough” developer. Ideally I’d like it if these guys were the last resort if all else fails. Rare would be a logical choice given the fact that they’re the ones who made KI in the first place, but a lot of the staff that had made the previous KIs had left, plus Rare as it is is reluctant, if not disinterested in doing more stuff with their existing series. Playtonic Games is made up of a lot of core staff from Rare, including KI, so, arguably they’d be the perfect go-to people for potentially making a new KI.