Microsoft Trying To Find A New Dev For KI

You never even tried. You seem all-too eager to excuse everything that IG does when you shouldn’t.

And you seem to worship the very ground IG walks on and think they can do no wrong when they have. I admit there were some aspects that I wasn’t crazy about with regards to DH such as some of the classic costumes (cough cough Fulgore, Jago), but at least with their work the characters generally look like continuations of the characters’ stories, have features that make them recognizable from the old games. Fulgore and Spinal looked like their original counterparts, if not were massive improvements on them. Spinal still has his classic laugh. At least there is a sense of ambition. In Season One, DH was approaching KI as KI3, with some of the staff even referring it as such. IG’s philosophy was to make it a reboot/remake of KI1, thereby making things confusing, with a “good enough” mentality.
“Maybe we should clean up the animations for Maya, TJ and Riptor later.”
“Nah, it’s good enough. Nobody will notice or care.”
“What about the Stage Ultra animations?”
“Nah, it’s good enough.”
“Maybe we should add Stage Ultras to the other stages?”
“Nah, it’s good enough.”
“Okay, for TJ, we’re going to make him all blue like Balrog, and as a comeback story he’ll tear out his cybernetics.”
“Okay, that’s a cool idea, but why is he wearing MMA apparel? Nothing in the story indicates that he turns to MMA.”
“Meh. Whatever. It’s good enough.”
“We’ll give Cinder a mask.”
“Alright, cool, but why does he have fish lips?”
“Whatever. It’s good enough.”
“Maybe we should make other stages and costumes for the other characters, especially for the ones without either?”
“Nah, it’s good enough.”
“You’ve added new details to Riptor, Sabrewulf and Cinder’s backstories that contradict the story mode in Season 1 and 2.”
“It’s good enough.”
“We’ll have arrows flying in Tusk’s background.”
“But nothing in the story indicates such a thing-”
“It’s good enough!”
“We’ll recycle animations for the Ultimates and make them as laughably pathetic as possible - good enough!”
“What about Ultimates for the other characters?”
“Meh, good enough!”
“We’ll make kind of new characters, but we’re going to recycle elements from previous ones. Good enough.”
“But-”
“It’s good enough!”
Riptor is one of the many icings that embodies this half-a$$ philosophy. She just looks and sounds pathetic. Nothing about Riptor in its design, sound or stage even touches the original. And no, I’m not the only one who has had a complaint about Riptor not feeling like Riptor - there have been others who feel the same way, not just me. In terms of the Ultimates, there are so many ways they could have been so much more impactful without resorting to gore, even on a smaller budget and without pushing the rating, so don’t excuse mediocrity, because what is to stop Microsoft in a future entry to do the whole season thing again, but on an even lower budget? Are you going to defend them when they do that like you do here? Yes, I’m aware that Mick wasn’t impressed with the theme either, and I know about the time constraints and that the Ultimates were a limitation of finances and having to maintain the game’s rating, but that only further proves my point. Look, I will always be fair in my assessments of a given company or individual’s work, even look past some things depending on the circumstances for a given product or project, but at some point a line has to be drawn where you have to say enough is enough or “that is unacceptable”. At least with DH’s attempt at Ultimates with Shadow Jago characters DID die and there were very clear consequences with an opponent’s body lying lifeless on the screen.

Hm, let’s see. Original T.J. - wears the American flag for a shirt.

TJ 2013 - wears largely blue and black with slight shades of grey, looking like a more drab version of Balrog.

So, yeah. I like the scars on the arms and the goatee, but aside from that, it’s so generic as hell, even downright boring.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say that Cinder has “fish lips,” I’d have one dollar.

-Zenek

2 Likes

Trust me, there are others besides me who have called them fish lips. You would have gotten a LOT more than a dollar. I mean, look at the guy! He looks like the freaking Creature from the Black Lagoon!

It’s a metal mask, for crying out loud - it’s not latex. The original intent was to mimic his KI1 appearance, which would have been fine:

I actually much prefer it without the mouth myself, as it does look better. If they wanted to give him a mouth, then at least it should be designed in such a way that it both makes sense and doesn’t make it look goofy, if not stupid. Like, there’s a movable jaw or something. Or even better, have him without the mask, as he looks infinitely better without it. And before someone leaps to IG’s defense, Fulgore didn’t need lips in order to be expressive. Neither did Cinder. There were lots of ways to make him expressive outside of giving him a mouth.

What if they were to release a remastered version? The game mechanics have aged well - just not the visuals. I still love listening to the soundtrack. But that’s just it. The stages and the characters - there’s a lot more possible today. Especially if you had a little more development time.

Such a version with new graphics, new unlockables for the characters (like in MK11) or seasons with cosmetic items (like in For Honor) wouldn’t be such a bad interim solution until there really is a new Killer Instinct.

And you could finally give all the characters an Ultimate. And give them all their own stage.

2 Likes

I will take this as positive news vs. more radio silence or saying “no current interest in KI.”

Again I will say if Microsoft Studios could just get an in-house KI Team created with maybe guys from DH or something, just saying, it would at least be hand picked talent that could focus on the project instead of some outsourced dev. Of course, ya know, getting some of the OG dudes like Ken Lobb back in action.

yeah I agree.

Definitely.

THIS guy gets it! Seriously, we may not be getting a new-new Killer Instinct anytime soon, but you know what would be a kick-■■■ stopgap solution? Having Iron Galaxy return to cap off the current game with a little extra content to hype up long-time fans and draw in new ones too.

I’m not saying Season 4, (although that would be incredible), but my top wishlist of adding a little more to KI would be:

Add the ENT as fighter #30. Boom- nice round number to end our current KI on, we get one more huge monster, and the ENT (Tree Man) was on the road to BEING our fighter #30, but the team opted to go for the much-requested Ultimates instead… I wish we got the tree-beast, but let’s bring back this Aganos-inspired creature to the roster!

Speaking of Ultimates, how cool would it be to get MORE Ultimates?! If there was one fighter who NEEDS one, it’s Gargos. He’s the BIG-BAD of Shadow Lords, and if you ■■■■■ up really badly, a particularly nasty Ultimate to rub it in your face that you aren’t good enough to beat him is the cherry on top of his vile presentation.

Fix the Shadow Lab modes! Yep, I used to love playing Shadow Survival- until it broke to a point where it loops trying to load new shadows to fight, softlocking the game. Lame. I’d sure appreciate it if IG could fix this one!

More accessories! We got the skeleton of a comprehensive accessory/color store for KI, and I’d love it if we got another wave of color packs (like Omen’s!) and a new accessory pack or two for everyone. (A dragon-themed set for Riptor would be awesome!!!)

How about a few more stages? Mira, General RAAM, & Eyedol’s respective potential stages tease my imagination whenever I consider how cool they’d be, so why not go back and add a few more cool battlegrounds for us?

Another balance fix/move tweak/etc for the current roster is always nice to see, especially if we got a 30th fighter to throw a wrench into the machine.

And finally, why not get Code Mystics back for more retro KI goodness? They want to add more fighters to KI2 Classic- let’s have fun with that! Why not go wild and add the Game Boy edition as a fun freebie bonus?

Killer Instinct 4.0 would be an awesome way to hold all of us over until whatever’s next- and I’m sure none of you would be disappointed with an add-on to this game at this point. It’s a win-win for all of us KI fans!

Head of Xbox - Xbox’s Phil Spencer Says More Killer Instinct Is A Goal, Just Not Right Now - Game Informer

Iron Galaxy - Iron Galaxy Manager Wishes They Could Make New Killer Instinct Game (gfinityesports.com)

Why not come together as a community and make this happen? We made Shado Jago a real boy, why not more of the game we already know and love?

-Zenek

3 Likes

That would be pretty cool, admittedly.

I remember making a suggestion of something like character-themed skins and accessories on a post somewhere. Like, for a Spinal-themed skin you’d have everyone as a skeleton, including the inhuman characters, while a Jago-themed skin would have more Tibetan-themed aspects, with some of the inhuman characters like Riptor having more tiger-like features, Sabrewulf being made into a weretiger or something like that, etc. A Kim Wu-themed skin could result in Riptor having a full-on Asian dragon skin. An Aganos-themed skin would have everyone as bronze sculptures or rock sculptures. Hisako - basically characters have a more undead appearance with that flickering effect that she has, with parts of their skin coming off, revealing bones, etc. A lot of fun could be done with that idea of character-themed skins imo.

1 Like

Found this concept art for Dinobot:

What was that about 2013 Riptor not being generic or it supposedly being unique?

I think one thing that could sweeten it more is customizing our own colors too. Thats an option though, it can be its own slot.

1 Like

LMAOO I can’t even tell them apart anymore.

You know- I bet that Code Mystics would be up to puttling a customizable RGB slider color slot for KI/KI2 Classic!

I wish that Xbox would let CM back into Killer Instinct 2 Classic- they did such a fantastic job of reviving the arcade classics, and they had so many cool ideas to expand upon it too. Just imagine if they added Riptor, Sadira, and Mira to KI2! How cool would that be?

-Zenek

1 Like

A: an RGB editor would be awesome which means I cna make the colored riptors I want.

B: Adding Riptor to KI2 classic would awesome. It’s like they just undid the disappointment I had with KI2 as a kid.

Also still working on that KI2 style sprite for Riptor by the way.)
RIPTOR HK CLOSE0000

3 Likes

That is awesome.

If Riptor were to come back, I really, REALLY hope she’s given back her snake-like look, just because it would be like Godzilla without his dorsal plates.

The copyright for that concept art is 2020. Do better.

This was old concept art for JP4 where raptors would have undergone cyber-augmentation.

This one up above was a commissioned work called “Cyber-raptor”. NOT Riptor.

There are tons of other toys, comics, cartoons, etc. The 2013 RINO is as generic as they come, so quit trying to defend mediocrity.

Oh my God, how awful that all these IPs that were influenced by Jurassic Park decided to include dinosaurs! And how bad is it that IG decided to do a version of Riptor that looked more like a dinosaur than the last time instead of basically making a dinosaur with clavicles!

Whatever shall we do?

I guess complain about it on a forum with like 12 active people for a game that is no longer in active development.

The original KI used horror tropes for its characters. So that IG went full on Jurassic Park - including naming a move Clever Girl - is on point for the brand. I don’t see you complaining about the original Spinal being a ripoff of a Ray Harryhausen design.

1 Like

And really, mediocrity? When I played, I came across a lot of Riptors in ranked and exhibition. So people clearly enjoyed playing this game despite your gripes. A lot of people. And they clearly liked this character - cheerleader outfit and all - despite your whinging.

2 Likes

Riptor had more than just clavicles. Even though she was unmistakably based off of the raptors from JP, she DID, however, possess features that made her distinctive such as the humanoid proportions, the four sickle-like claws on each foot rather than one like a typical raptor, a poisonous spit and a head and forked tongue like a snake with a tail like a scorpion (which actually makes me wonder if Kev Bayliss had also based Riptor off of the Xenomorph from “Aliens”). RINO is JUST a boring version of Talon or the JP3 raptors but with half-assed gridlines and tone nails painted blue. Like they couldn’t be bothered to put more thought into how the cybernetics would look. And that’s not talking about her pitiful excuses for a roar, her theme, the animation and texture work - at least the original stood out. At least the original was memorable. The snake aspect of Riptor was a key part of the character, the same way the fins are a key part of Godzilla.

How about stop defending IG and their mistakes? How about growing a pair and call them out on their BS than be so smugly accepting of every little thing and that everything they do is perfect? That would be a start.

Better than being an IG sycophant that believes they can do no wrong, thereby promoting more half-assed products and/or even lousier entries in the KI series. Oh, and wouldn’t you know it, they have half-assed and did wrong in the past! Shocker!

Yeah, the original KI used horror tropes for its characters, but, by the same token, this was an early point in video game history with a limited technology. There weren’t a lot of such characters at the time, especially in the context of fighting games. Even more, despite characters being unmistakably based off of certain iconic characters and creatures, they DID, however, possess features that made them all stood out. Fulgore - undeniably a character based off of “Robocop”, the Terminator and the Predator with a touch of Scorpion from MK in his fatality, BUT, it also had features that made it its own distinct character such as the medieval knight/ninja-like look, dual wrist blades on both arms rather than one like the Predator, the ponytail, etc. Same thing with Riptor, with it having snake features, the four sets of scythe-like claws and the scorpion tail along with its height (seven feet, faaaar larger than a typical raptor or Deinonychus). Spinal has never been my favorite as far as KI characters are concerned, BUT, at the time, there weren’t a lot of skeleton characters, let alone memorable ones, if any, especially ones that had a science fiction-themed background or had a voice; as far as I’m aware, Spinal would be considered the first and only skeleton character to be the result of bioengineering (in the original, he was the result of a “cell regeneration project”). There is a world of difference between being a homage and just outright copying and pasting, and IG did the latter in spades. Even more, IG has always had a lousy art style. Nothing about their other games, be it “Divekick” or “Extinction”, were anything other than generic in their aesthetics. God, even ARIA’s design is something that could be found on MMORPGs for crying out loud.

Yes, because it is. The head and teeth are ridiculously oversized to the point of it looking comical, with boring texture work and coloring with poor and stiff animations, especially during supers. Watch when she does the shadow version of jump rake or the head butt - it’s downright embarrassing. There is no starting animation at all. At least when Jago or Sabrewulf do theirs you can see something like the former doing a crane pose before doing his wind kick or the fur bristling on the latter’s back as he leaps forward! And that’s not pointing out the stiff and awkward animations for TJ and Maya, or even Mira at times.

And a lot of Riptor fans downright hate the IG version and feel that it’s an insult to the character. A lot of people don’t at all like the things IG have been doing, have criticized them for their sloppiness and for things they have done in the past. I cannot attest to the people you played against, but “enjoying” is different from “liking”. A person could enjoy a game but hate some aspects about it. Same with characters.