Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite

According to Wikipedia he retired from voice acting to be an orthopedic surgeon.

1 Like

I won’t go deeper on this as it’s too off topic, but I agree with most of your points, even though I see some benefit for MS of getting a game, like MvCI, earlier on the Scorpio.

I just found out that it was a bad joke. Wow, some people just don’t seize to amaze me.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I am surprised one of our leading contributors hasn’t commented yet on this game and related announcements. Sorry to call you out like this, @Infilament

Exactly correct on that, yes

1 Like

I think there’s plenty to talk about on that subject, so if you feel like starting a new thread I will definitely contribute. I think Scorpio exclusivity is going to be a bit dangerous because while you want to entice current Xbox One owners to upgrade, you don’t want to make them angry about it. If the platform is supposed to be the same I don’t know why you would want to fracture it this way. I think the better marketing plan for Scorpio is to show that the extra features make it worthwhile for Xbox One owners to upgrade.

Just to pretend I’m even remotely on topic, I’m not sure that a game like MvC Infinite is a good contender for this. It’s a niche genre, and so far the graphics don’t look all that spectacular (although I personally think people are being a bit tough on them considering how early the game is).

This was the FGC when this game was announced lol

I really hope they don’t go with the “popular” route with the Marvel roster of this game. Maybe popular isn’t the right word, but what I mean is that I don’t want them to put in characters just because they’re in the movies or on Netflix or anything like that. I don’t want Winter Soldier for example just because he was in Civil War, or Luke Cage just because he has a Netflix show. It’s like putting Deadshot in Injustice because he was in Suicide Squad (…oh wait…). I guess it would be ok if it were around 4 or 5 characters like this, but if the majority of the roster is filled with the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Netflix heroes, AND the majority of the cast from the movies, then wtf.

What I’d really want more is characters chosen for their design rather than their popularity. When Super Skrull and Taskmaster were announced, I didn’t know who they were so I asked my dad about them and I learned some things about the Marvel universe. I came to appreciate Super Skrull when I learned that he was basically all of the Fantastic Four put together because around that time, I remember that a lot of people wanted them so I thought it was smart to include a character like Super Skrull. When I learned that Taskmaster had a photographic memory and used it to copy the Marvel superheroes, I was happy to see that integrated that into his moveset by taking some moves from the other characters like Spiderman’s Web Swing, and Captain America’s Charging Star. I appreciated it more when Hawkeye was announced and he had similar moves to Taskmaster since Taskmaster stole his moves as he suggests when he yells, “Aim of Hawkeye!” I was happy to see that Iron Fist was a rekka character too since it fits with the “martial arts (Bruce Lee) character = rekka character” trope (Fei Long for example). Too bad nobody played him lol.

That’s really my one true wish for the game. That characters are decided for design rather than popularity. Picking characters for popularity is like Smash Bros where 6 characters were from Fire Emblem and 3 of them were clones (Please no clone characters either. At least let them have significant differences.) while each of the standalone series (series with only one character) characters like Shulk were unique and different. Although when I told my dad that Captain Marvel was gonna be in this one, he was telling me about how Marvel has really been trying to push her kinda like DC and Cyborg. I’m taking that as sign #1 that they’re going the popular route for now. It’s too early to make any final calls just yet.

4 Likes

The real story is that DC is finally releasing a Wonder Woman movie, and Marvel is providing a submission of their own First Lady, aka Captain Marvel, to stand as the woman supreme of the franchise.

It’s no doubt WW is the most recognizable and loved female DC character, her upcoming movie debut is HUGE, and Marvel never had that in any previous female character, not even jean as they f’ed her up in the x trilogy films, so I feel it’s a big move a step they gave Carol Danvers a huge story arc and revamped costume image and etc so they could further create a movie and merge her into the popular avengers film series so that she, as Wonder Woman emerges from Batman vs Superman, could have a chance at being THE marvel female icon.

Anyone think they’d be willing to take a risk and use another spider character over Peter Parker? I mean, Spider-gwen and Miles Morales have really reached a level of popularity that most alternate versions rarely do, they completely dwarf Spider-woman and she’s been around for decades before them.

The new Spider-woman comic at marvel might be one of my fovorite comics of them in years, I feel some of their best comics are under the radar anyways because they arent their A characters, and marvel (comics department) hasnt got a great name for the last few years now, but its based on what people think of their big name comics.

If people went with good comics more instead of the most well known characters, they would be more appreciative of marvel, but I feel most people dont even try other titles, which is a shame.

Miles Morales is a great character, so is Kamala Khan and even the new Nova has grown to be a fun characters who especially shines when used with his peers, feels like old school marvel, which is what most people clamor for, but they apparently only want it with the old school characters…

im hype they going back old school with this one Classic 2v2 Team Battle love how are using some battle systems from the past Vs Games Capcom Keep it Going Don’t Start Mess Up Now

1 Like

The problem with bringing in more obscure Marvel characters is that the broad audience doesn’t really know who they are. So the game has to explain it to them. Whereas if they go with the MCU characters, people are already familiar. I know that the videogame population is enriched for comic book readers, but I’m guessing most people don’t know who Spider-Gwen or Miles Morales are. I barely do, and I’m a huge nerd.

Of course, since no one knows who any of the Capcom characters are, this maybe a moot point.

I just want Slapstick

I’m not gonna get Slapstick

I’d expect a mix of mostly known MCU Marvel characters to move units and make non-comic-nerds comfortable with their purchase, combined with a few obscure characters, most likely with the intention of setting up said characters for a cinematic or TV debut, or maybe just to draw people into an existing or new comic series. They’d be remiss not to treat this kind of mashup game as a marketing brochure for the ■■■■ they’re doing.

I’m actually still not really comfortable with these. I think being a multiplatform franchise sets an expectation among fans that they can make their purchasing decisions and go out and buy a console with the expectation that the latest games in said franchise won’t ■■■■ them over by going exclusive to the other box. I guess it might be the case that some of these games would’ve been canned, or not even made it into production in the first place if not for backing from a console vendor, but I don’t think it’s as clean-cut as that – they might find another publisher, that console vendor money might flow into something original, the game might just be shelved for a while until financing is found, etc – and I don’t think the exclusivity is good for the sales or long-term health of the product or franchise.

In practice I don’t think it’s worked out particularly well for either game. SFV needs every sale it can get in the state it’s currently in, and if the dodgy incomplete figures we get are to be believed, RotTR flopped on Xbox One then flopped on PS4 despite very solid support and promotional efforts.

fwiw I think the SFV situation is worse than the Tomb Raider situation. I might be biased because I don’t have a PS4, I don’t like how the schism created by SFV’s exclusivity affected KI, and I don’t care too much about TR in general, but at least with RotTR if I had a PS4 I could wait a year, or go out and get access to a 'Bone for the 30 hours it takes to beat it and then totally forget it exists again like the typical 30-hour action adventure. SFV asks for a long-term commitment to a console and subscription service that I may not have (and in this case I don’t have) since learning a fighting game requires extensive lab time and actual human opponents. If I happen to be really into SFV and also really into KI (or competitive Gears or Halo or something, and also couldn’t spend $1500+ on a PC) then I’m paying two subscriptions because Capcom apparently couldn’t keep their books balanced without Sony stepping in.

But anyway, on topic I think people don’t care about 3 months of exclusivity, especially in this case where people are probably just relieved that they are going to get the game on their machine at all.

Yeah, I didn’t know who about half of the Capcom fighters were until they were introduced in MVC2. For example I never played in arcades or on the Genesis when I was a kid, so I had no clue who Strider was.

…ooh, you know what would be awesome, but probably wouldn’t happen…if they added a handful of Disney characters from old Capcom games…like Scrooge McDuck or Aladin. Scrooge needs to pogo on his opponents like Sadira does!

…maybe as DLC…

My bad if it’s “just” 3 months.
Yes I know it’s multiplatform… And PC can likely face off against XBL. But my salt is very thick from Capcom’s contracts.

For stuff like TR, and if it applied to SFV, where there’s timed exclusivity due to putting up money to help develop it, that’s a middle ground for me.
But SFV isn’t a timed exclusive, and TR on the PS4 actually benefits from post release support.

Imagine, SFV coming to the XB1 as is NOW, not as it was for the privilege of paying for early access and debugging? That’d be quite the experience, non?

3rd parties need to act more neutral. Some more than others.

Butt hurt XD (jk)

1 Like

Really…?

I’m gonna say this clearly:

People who say I’m dropping Game “X” On Said Game’s OFFICIAL FORUM… Are pretty much attention grabbers… Heck even on twitter it’s bad.

To put it in Comparison:

You’re invited to a A really really fancy party. But you hate the person who is the host/or just the party In general. Would you say: “Im leaving the party because I hate you Party” Would you?

No. You slip out quietly Because It makes you look Unprofessional. Yet many pros do this.

TL;DR

7 Likes

i said jk as in joking

Sorry… I’ve been having a S*****y day.

Sorry about that.