Main reason people don't play fighting games!

Thought this was hilarious but it’s true for most people as to why most don’t play fighting games. https://www.facebook.com/baronshairsalon/posts/10153488000488567

1 Like

Try this one https://www.facebook.com/sergio.j.garcia.71/videos/959083837489716/

Amusing but quite true, I believe

That’s exactly why I love KI and the combo-breaking system.

1 Like

That’s kinda sad, actually. Sometimes people get outmatched in just about anything in life, not just fighting games. Just gotta accept it, persevere and improve. Or yeah, I guess move on if it’s not your thing, but damn. Quitting so early? That’s not right. Should’ve finished what he/she started.

Fighting games require reacting to variables that only the upper echelon of gamers have the senses to do so.
Everyone can be a gamer, not everyone play the same speed of games.

Fighting games will always require the most reactive and conditioned responses to stimuli than any other genre and that is off-putting or out right overly taxing to the majority.

Schooling your opponent for a perfect can happen regardless of game and/or its speed when you are the master, they the n00b.

In my experience one of the biggest hurdles for people with fighting games has always been the initial grind. Learning mechanics, offense, defense, execution, things like that.

Gotta get’em young.

Which is why it is not cool to bash Smash Bros. players. They are part of the next gen of fighters. They need guidance, not scolding!

Response times have been overrated in fighting games for a long time.

Fighting games can largely be pretty cleanly broken down into simultaneous-choice game scenarios which test your execution and yomi, and don’t require your reactions to be on-point beyond the generous amount of time you have to identify the scenario in advance and prepare to act accordingly. The main problem is new players’ unfamiliarity with those scenarios and how they arise, which leads mental stack overload and bewilderment – a bewilderment they mistake for not having the “requisite” 1-frame reactions they think the pros have, so they quit.

I think the way that QTEs and “dodge the reactable thing and punish” are the focus of combat in action games helps to condition players to think that how well they do in fighting games is about how quickly they can react. Yes, there are situations where you legitimately have to react in fighting games: anti-airing, blocking a ~20-frame overhead, etc. But these are far from the focus of fighting game mechanics.

… Not sure if disagreeing or expanding…

I mean, I interpreted “most reactive” to mean “most demanding of good reactions”, which I think is a harmful myth. But “conditioned responses to stimuli” sorta resembles what I described, sorta, so maybe there’s some agreement?

But really I just wanted a soapbox to stand on. I do think the “I can’t react in time!” myth is the main reason people don’t play fighting games.

My words are not to mean one has to be able to execute a move within a single frame, they are to mean that in 1 second we can input over a dozen inputs that are important to 2-4 Rock-Paper-Scissor moments intended to be relevant 10 seconds from any moment.

In an RTS, you can make a dozen inputs over the course of a minute relaying to a dozen RPS battles that are relevant 2-10 minutes from any moment.

In an FPS, you can make dozens of inputs over the course of a decasecond while engaging in a couple RPS battles that are relevant 10 secs - 2 mins from any moment.

The Fighter requires many more calculations than most other games per second, and then they add input combos to execute those calculations.

A racing game comes close to a fighter BUT they don’t input as much as Fighters. Maybe more calculations per second and/or faster inputs but not nearly as many inputs per second consistently as a fighter.