Main problems of Killer Instinct

My money is on the steam release being big enough to give new players enough matchmaking against other new players. Separating the community is a bad idea.

1 Like

separating the community is always bad. So I agree. Plus the ki community on the reddit and the forums is super helpful… So a lot of people can get help and training from them.

it’s always bad idea separating the community . game released on 2013 many players became pro level already. my perspective it’s tooooooooo late to become top steam game. if game was released 2013-2014 on steam nobody gonna complain about anything like how new players gonna play this game.

tbh i haven’t this game exist before i update my windows to windows 10. another main issue is game mechanics are good but there is no enough source to explain. im watching anyone on twitch while they playing KI or watching maximilliand doods old videos. they are not updated for current gameplay mechanics. actually “XiBassiX” is really good player i wish he made basic tutorial videos with commentary on youtube.

“sounds good, doesn’t work”
basicly i set the minimum rank qualifiers and maximum rank to gold and i waited 15 minute literally and i didin’t find anygame. the point is game is good but game is old everyone already know what they are doing.hard to play against to kiler rank you start combo then cococococoocombo breaker you try to shadow move then shadow breaker thats what happend to in my matches always.

2 Likes

If you play exhibition, or lobby mode, you can filter the ranks that you will match up against. This may be a better place to start off.

If that doesn’t work to you, I recommend you to fight against someone you know, someone who has a similar level to yours.

If you don’t have friends who could fit on this description, try here:

Ask for a Gold or less ranked opponent, although some Killer can be really good into teaching you the game.

I can’t think about many Gold players, but @MandrillManiac is probably the best I know(IMO he could be Killer easily), and he is super fun to play with.

My recomendations:

-Always fight someone stronger than you. There is not much to learn about mauling someone, but there is a lot to learn from being outplayed. Where did I fail? Where did I lose my initiative? Why?

-Every time you attempt to break something, ask yourself. Did you identified correctly the strength you wanted to break? Did you saw a pattern and tried to break it without seeing it? Were you right? Was your opponent using only lights? If so, why didn’t you let him rock them, and tried to break them in the next combo? Learning when to break is key, and you should always question yourself about it.

-Is your opponent being tremendously lucky guess breaking you, or did he saw a pattern in your combos? Are you using the same strength in linkers? The same auto double? Have you considered using a counter breaker without actually using nothing but an opener to fish guess breakers? Lots of people misunderstoods being predictable with lucky guess breakers. For some time during s1, I always used m. Linkers, everytime. When I noticed that I was being predictable, I changed my routine and suddenly, I was harder to break. Make your combos varied and hard to break, stress your opponent, and take advantage of it

There are more lessons to get, but consider this points and try to adapt your gameplan into them.

I’m a Killer rank, but maybe I could help you to improve in some areas. In any case, you will find good opponents in the GGs thread

1 Like

That sucks that you can’t find a match. I wouldn’t get my hopes up with Steam if I were you. It will just be a few new players that for some reason didn’t want to buy it on the windows store. It is just a last chance for MS to get a few more dollars out of some players before they end the game for good. The game has been out for so longer that either the person plays alot and is good, or just plays it because they are board and want to play something new to them, but are not good at the game. Most of the average skill players/casuals don’t play much anymore unless they are playing with friends.

To be honest, I wouldn’t worry about wanting to get good at this game now. By the time you do, the game will be done and will not see anymore updates or content. Although if you really want to be the best then go for it. Just try not to get upset when the match searches start to take longer than you would like.

1 Like

I bring you THE BIBLE:
http://ki.infil.net

Best fighting game guide ever. Props to @Infilament.

If you are learning the game, read it. Study it. Learn it. It’s a road to improvement

5 Likes
  1. Have you gone all the way through the game’s dojo?

2. Are you aware of infils guide ki.infil.net

3. What are your thoughts on the Shadow AI modes?

Lastly outside of the dojo, if you’re interested in a tutorial video for the current gameplay mechanics, this might help - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHsQ0iVK1No

1 Like

1- i played dojo before shadow lords patch come(only way to play jago)
2- yes i have been trying to learn some stuffs over there
3- if you are talking about shadow lords omen broken AF if you saying player vs cpu im okay with very hard im decent at killer

I update to Win10 only because of KI… Now it’s coming to Steam, so I need to buy it on Steam again ? Can Steam and Win10 crossplay ?

Unfortunately, players smurfing to boost their own stats, makes it hard to know if a player is really new, or a vet pretending to be new.

In most cases, when I encounter a lower ranking individual, I pull out characters that I’m not as familiar with to make things more even, but even still, nothing like getting schooled by a Button Masher Level 1 Rash.

it’s called combo assist i really don’t like to use later people doing ■■■■-talk about fighting games “OMG fighting games are so lame pressing random buttons deals %35-45 damage random buttons build different combos even a monkey play fighting games without worries”

The Infil guide people have linked should tell you nearly everything you need to know about the game. It is probably one of the best FG resources for a modern fighter ever written. It is dense though, so I’d recommend focusing on it a piece at a time, with most of your early efforts just on understanding (I mean really understanding) the core game mechanics. The characters have enough unique mechanics and quirks that time is really the only thing that can teach you all you need to know. By all means read it all - just don’t expect it all to stick immediately.

They are talking about the “Shadow Lab” mode, which is probably one of the better ways for newer players to learn the game. Basically, the game takes data from human players and uses those to mimic their playstyle. It’s an extremely good mode to learn on, because the shadows have very human tendencies (both the flaws and the strengths), but tend to be weaker overall than their human equivalent. It is a far superior learning tool than playing against the AI, because the default AI (like all FG AI’s) plays nothing like an actual human being. Beating Kyle has almost no analogue with an actual skill level, because Kyle plays utterly unlike a human being in terms of what it blocks and what it gets hit by.

Unfortunately, ours is a smaller FG community, so finding people consistently at your skill level probably will be hard for a while longer. I recommend trying out the Shadow Lab and seeing how you like the experience of challenging shadows, and using that to bring yourself up to a level where you feel more comfortable/confident going online. Welcome to KI, and I hope you have a blast :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I don’t buy the anti combo assist propaganda

Here are my reasons:

-KI’s combos are easy to do. Compared to other FGs, with1 frame links, jump/flight cancels, or long non easy to perform combos… It would took almost no time for a new player to do any opener-linker-double-linker-ender.

-Due to the combo system, even if you pull infinitely a double-linker loop, you could always be broken, so mind games are super important. Combo assist doesn’t help you to brake or make harder to break your combos (they are easier!). The mind games of the combo system are the core of this game. Not the execution.

-Some games have auto combos when mashing a button. KI combo assist is not optimal: you only have access to 2 enders for char, and not only the best choices

-It gives no advantage against nobody, just makes easier to do combos. Considering that everyone can activate it, nobody is in disadvantage.

5 Likes

Not to be callous but the only people who have issues with combo assist are those who don’t quite understand it. It’s a great tool that advances new players into the deeper aspects of the game (the mind games) quicker without the execution barrier of forcing people to practice fireball cancels.

Somebody mashing with combo assist is going to be extremely easy to break, even if you’re still struggling to break mediums and heavies on reaction chances are they will chain the same level of attack together (medium linkers into medium autos for example) which makes breaking them extremely easy.

3 Likes

Unfortunately while all of these complaints seem legitimate to me, none of them are complaints about the game per se. They are 100% related to the size of the playing community. Not much we can do to solve this beyond continuing to grow the community.

The advice you’ve already received is very good. Look for individuals to play with. @Dayv0 is a great player and a good teacher so I would take him up on his invitation. Read @imfilaments guide and when you want to practice use the shadow lab mode. It isn’t like playing against a human but it’s a lot closer than the normal AI. Don’t worry about ranked.

Good luck.

8 Likes

Using CA does not make you a good player. It simply helps you with combos. When I am playing a level 1 Rash that is performing intricate Zip Line juggles, mind games, and superb footsies, it isn’t because they are using CA, but because in all reality he isn’t really a Level 1 Rash, but an individual who is pretending to be low skill even though they aren’t.

Preach! :slight_smile:

This here is really the only problem I have when going up against higher caliber opponents/ Ranked.
Ive been a Killer 3x since it began and the only reason Im in Gold now is because I wanted to take Kilgore from bottom to top so I could have some breathing room to learn a bit. But I went 9-1 in Qualify so I landed in Gold.
Not a big deal to still be matched against Star Killers, nothing new…but for them to send sore winner mail…that really gets under my skin.

1 Like