Machabo on fighting game fundamentals

^^^^
So much this. It’s just one of the many things, too, @Sheptastic0312 that you can improve just by putting lots of hours playing the game under your belt. I’m not a huge advocate for sending people to SF to learn their fundamentals but for this in particular it might make a lot of sense. A lot of characters in KI have long range mixups and teleports that can be effective from “jump in” range. So these can be distracting if you’re really working on the ability to recognize the situation and respond with an antiair. A simpler environment is good for learning.

Also, I’m sure you know this, but don’t let anyone try to convince you that you have to be doing DPs or special moves to antiair. Any button that will hit them out if the air is fair game - even if that means your own jumping attack where you hit the button early. The key to all of it is knowing when the other guy is going to jump.

I have no problems playing SF as it’s a game that I also enjoy. I just like playing Fighting games in general. The air to air tactic is also something I am aware of, but not very proficient at along with DP and ground normal AA. But I think like you said, the best way to do it, is to work on it in matches where that is the goal. Not so much trying to play to win, but what am I working at getting better on. I appreciate all the information that you’ve been putting out. Even old hats like me can still find ways to improve.

AAing is one of the first skills I learned when playing SF and it’s carried over to every game I play. Being able to reaction anti-air in KI puts a lot of fear in people because they’re not used to it.

I think just playing with the mindset of “I must AA” goes a long way towards improving the skill. Playing with a friend and telling them to jump a bit more than normal is definitely a good way as well to kind of get into the flow of AA’ing properly.

I think the spacing thing is probably the biggest single to notice about AA’ing though - people actually tend to jump at very specific spacings unless they’re playing a character with significant air mobility. Once you get into those ranges, your attention should shift to also be ready to deal with your opponent taking to the air.

I played KI before I started getting serious about fighters, and yes, I’ve found that AA’ing in one game helps you do it in another. In SFV the jumps are also a lot floatier and there’s less to keep track of, so I’ve found that it’s generally easier to AA (or air-to-air) on reaction in that game compared to KI.

I’m actually trying to get into guilty gear, but this part really confuses me. If you can block in the air, how can you anti air anyone? won’t they just block?

If they’re coming down with a button, they aren’t blocking.

Plus, air blocking requires using Faultless Defense, which costs meter.

2 Likes

I never new air blocking costed faultless defense, that is very good to know.

I know this to be true because I’m often the one who is afraid. Once I realize that I have to approach on the ground, it limits my options (especially if there is no grounded overhead available) and puts me into a “crap, now what do I do!?” kind of mood.

Just came across this video on Twitter, and think it compliments what we’re discussing here:

2 Likes

I’m going to say straight up that I haven’t read most of these forums, not even this single thread. But, as a long time gamer but newbie to fighting game strategies, tech, tips, hints, ect (I’m over 30 and will never forget playing MK, SF, and the earlier KI’s for the first time.). I have to say to the makers of this new KI. I f-ing love the dojo. I might suck at fighting games, but I really appreciate all the work you did for a ‘training’ mode. Not only does it teach combos and timing, but it also teaches all the nuance as well which I could not possibly give you enough credit for. Sure, it probably won’t help me out in a actual match. But, I appreciate all the detail none the less. I have been attempting SFV and I even rebought MVC3. But, all they can “train” me for are various combos… Where as KI’s dojo has already taught me so much more, and I feel a lot better learning more fighting concepts then just well timed combos. Thanks to the team for making it more then a simple hand workout. And no matter what the outcome of dojo is in my KI skills. It’s much more entertaining to learn all the ideas first hand(It makes just watching fighting games better). I just can’t say enough how much I appreciate the detail you put into something that most devs either ignore or slack off on. <3

Although there is one thing I’m miss. A playback selection. I’m sorry if I missed it… But I’m stuck! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

When you say playback selection do you mean like a replay or the ability in the dojo to watch the lesson again?

Awesome! Welcome tot he forums and KI!.
You can replay each lesson while its happening or straight from the dojo menu.
The dojo isnt as good as it used to be since a lot of things have changed for Jago that it doesnt teach now. But its def a great starting point for sure!

I recommend going to the GGS thread to find some practice buddies to help you learn even more. Aldo fight in the shadow lab for some better practice than the AI

ahhh, the jack-o apocalypse… the only way you’re getting out is dead angle, burst, dp, or a miracle abare button.