Machabo on fighting game fundamentals

This, x10000

But I don’t have a life…

1 Like

That was a really great read, thank you for that. I’m always telling my friends to work on improving flaws rather than complaining about them or avoiding situations where you need them. This explains everything fantastically and has a positive outlook towards improving and the nature of fighting games.

Awesome :smiley:

I just started playing GG recently,and the BS is real if you don’t hit training mode. So this has been a good read for me,and learned to not get frustrated when faced with the unknown… idk why ki community seems so prone to lab work,i mean I’m not on the pro level,maybe low intermediate at best but had to put in the work to at least get that far.

As a life-long (well, the franchise’s life) GG player who learned how to play SF during the latter phases of SF4, and discovered KI from there, this was a wonderful read.

Where do you find out about this tier of FGC literature? Do you frequent the site this originally posted on, or is there some sort of awesome FGC-AP type deal I don’t know about?

It was linked to me by a local friend who follows Guilty Gear news more closely than I do.

1 Like

Lol. Love it.

Why thank you! I’m so flattered! :grin:

J/K. :yum:

Hey everyone! The article was very interesting, thanks for posting:) and just wanted to say that I like the way things are being discussed in this forum a lot! Stumbled upon this thread today and enjoyed reading through the whole thing:)

2 Likes

Huh. Maybe I’m part Japanese then.

After a bunch of complaining about glacius’s DP from the stream chat for KIT I feel the need to pull this out:

there was no mindgame becauase those two options that you alternated between simply doesn’t become a mixup unless you show that you can do a third option that kills fuzzy block.

Translate this to terms relevant to KI:

there was no mindgame becauase those two options that you alternated between simply doesn’t become a mixup unless you show that you can do a third option that beats DP > shadow hail/instinct.

If you’re never demonstrating that you will actually go out of your way to punish the DP instead of just blocking it (even if he does shadow hail it’s punishable) there is no reason for your opponent to do anything BUT DP when you knock them down and they have resources. This isn’t glacius being dumb, it’s just how fighting games work; you’re not going to cut rock with scissors, no matter how hard you try.

5 Likes

Yeah, the lack of willingness to block Glacius’s DP in situations where it seems pretty clear it’s going to come out is nuts to me. From non-point blank range, DP -> shadow hail is always punishable with shadow, and even from point blank there are ways to punish it as you know. It’s also slow and highly baitable (for example, neutral jump or backdash) and is only one hit so armor characters can handle it.

I guess people don’t want Glacius back-jumping on wakeup so they feel the need to pressure, but after a while it’s just basic fighting game offense. Block and punish DPs when your opponent shows he likes to DP extremely often.

1 Like

For that matter, Glacius’s DP is pretty dang slow, and honestly really easy to safejump/bait/OS or whatever if people took it to the lab and spent some time finding it.

And as a player who came to KI from Guilty Gear I really really love this article.

2 Likes

#You wanna bet m8?!

*Disclaimer: I agree with your post. I just think its really disingenuous to be so harsh on scissors.

6 Likes

Yo that’s a brick of streebo. Ain’t no damn rock.

3 Likes

what is the best way to get better at anit-airing…because I am terrible at it. The problem I have with doing it in practice mode is that it’s predictable, so if I know it’s coming it’s not as hard, but when I don’t know when it’s coming, that’s when I struggle. Any help would be appreciated. Cause right now I am free on jump ins in all games.

In a game like SF, it is easier to focus on anti-airing because there are fewer options in neutral.

If you want practice for KI anti-airing in particular, I would ask to play a set with someone and ask them to purposely jump a lot. Don’t care about winning, instead try to get a feel and rhythm for when and why a person jumps. Remember, typically people will jump when their jump-in will hit you, so there is actually a pretty straightforward spacing for when forward jumps will be attempted. In fact, to bait jumps, you can intentionally walk into this space; instinctively, a lot of players will jump here. If you understand this “roughly 2 characters away” spacing, you can prepare yourself to anti-air before you see the jump. Anti-airing on reaction is actually very easy if you expect a jump, so you need to put yourself in the opponent’s position and ask yourself “when are they planning to jump?” And the answer is almost always “when they are about 2 character lengths away and their jump-in will hit me.” So to be a good anti-airer, you need to anticipate jumps, rather than simply play and then try to react (you will be too late).

In KI people will also jump when they want to bait throws, or in the corner and stuff… those are harder to prepare for. But I would focus on just jumps from a neutral position at first, not mixup jumps. Try to walk into jump range, then sit there until the person jumps, and have your anti-air ready. If they walk up and hit you with an overhead because you aren’t ready for it, don’t worry about it; that’s not the skill you are trying to practice. Eventually, you will get in this habit of rapidly switching focus. So you walk into jump range, they don’t jump, so you quickly switch focus to the ground game for 1 second (if they jump in this second, you won’t anti-air them). Then if they don’t engage you on the ground, you give up on that and focus on the air for 1 second, etc. This “rapid multi-tasking” is how a lot of good players play, and eventually their multi-tasking is rapid enough that they can react to most jumps.

2 Likes

that is deep. Definitely will try that tonight. Also do you think that working on AA in a game like SF fundamentally also helps to prepare you for AA in KI?

Definitely does.

To add one more thing, it helps to think about why people jump.

Let me ask you a question, why do YOU jump when you choose to?

hashtag ScrubQuotes

2 Likes