Lore: is fulgore eagle? Or something else?

Guess you missed the CCIX version.

I really hope this isn’t the case, then they would have lost another opportunity to have an interesting relationship with a Fulgore unit who believes itself to be Eagle and Eagle himself crossing paths. Would be pretty awkward :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I much prefer Eagle being Fulgore, that way when Thunder eventually gets through to him he’s kinda got this anti-hero cyborg thing going on. Struggling to come to terms with his form and how he feels about his brother versus the Ultratech programming. Hell it’d even be cool to see Fulgore turn into a good guy of sorts in future games.

1 Like

One of the contrasts I loved was between ARIA and Fulgore. ARIA represented visually how Ultratech wanted to appear to the public, a progressive company with an emphasis on advancing technology and defense. However on the inside ARIA is a cold machine with a clear directive and motive that isn’t in mankind’s true best interest, whether she believes it to be so or not. Fulgore on the other hand visually represented the face that Ultratech didn’t want the public to see, a militaristic and oppressive empire to say the least that uses force to obtain what it wants. However despite his appearance, he had something that ARIA lacks, humanity. And it is this very humanity that made him reject his directives and spare lives despite his programming. This discovery about him merely being android really killed this idea I had going though and it feels like a missed opportunity as a result.

1 Like

Unplugging him wouldn’t do anything to the fulgore with the eagle cloned brain. If that were the case then riptor wouldn’t have gone through the trouble of recovering fulgores head after tusk lopped it off in the novella. Also there was that whole thing about his brain core on the one little character story. I think it’s an intact and separate entity cloned from eagles brain instead of it just getting a transmission from an eagle in a tank.

I wasn’t implying that there was a cloned brain, I was implying that they had Eagle hooked up to a machine and were using his brainwaves or whatever to “control” Fulgore via some sort of remote connection.

To be completely honest I didn’t bother to read the entire novella, it started becoming a confusing contradiction to the existing plot so I lost interest. Guess I should go back and finish it.

EDIT: Well I went back and re-read the portions up until Eagle is rescued by Glacius.

Some points it sounds like he’s alive in the tube and ARIA only copied his consciousness, then others it says she transferred it to Fulgore leaving Eagle an empty husk or something.

@TempusChaoti Posted in another topic something that has me thinking…

I think what’s going on here is similar to the game Soma.
In that game, in order to prolong the human condition following an apocalypse, a team of scientists create a machine that creates an exact copy of a person’s consciousness in a computer. For all intents and purposes, that person (rightfully) believed they were themselves. In fact, it was rare that you could successfully convince someone that they were no longer in a human body, but rather in an android.

I suspect this is the relationship between Fulgore and Eagle.

See, in the story of Season 2, the Fulgore model that TJ combats in the Ultratech headquarters is referred to as the Fulgore Mk.2. In the Season 1 story, however, the playable Fulgore unit is known as the Prototype Fulgore Mk.3. In one of his endings, this particular Prototype unit is shown sparing Orchid’s life, in direct opposition to not only his orders, but every piece of programming within him. Fulgore begins to contemplate what this means, and begins going through an existential crisis. He begins to war with himself, his human memories and his Ultratech protocols vying for supremacy.
It seems implied in one of these endings that this Fulgore unit has gone rogue, and while it remains a ruthless killing machine, he refuses to take Ultratech orders…

This would explain how both Eagle as Fulgore and Eagle as a physical entity could coexist, similar to Shadow Jago. The Mk.3 holds one copy of Eagle’s consciousness, the other lies with the original Eagle… Who or whatever that may be now…

2 Likes

Yeah I’m starting to understand where they’re going with it but I still don’t really like it.

If Fulgore is just a copy of Eagle, he’s not really anyone. He’s just another robot. Any depth the character might have had is gone in my opinion. It was much cooler thinking of him with a heart & brain pumping away in a jar locked inside of a cyborg shell. The emotional strife Thunder would have to go through accepting that his brother is alive but trapped inside a killing machine, Eagle having to come to terms with his new form.

If Eagle is just fine and Fulgore is only a copy its like “Whoops, here’s a mulligan, Eagle is fine, there are no consequences” everyone is fine and lives happily ever after.

3 Likes

Fulgore “IS” a cyborg, so he has human parts.

My guess is that there’s a clone, the original is probably in the tube on reserve to serv as a Biological “back up” for fulgor.

Is he still a cyborg though? If the entire biological eagle was held intact in that stasis tube then i don’t know what to think anymore. If anyones seen chappie it could be something like that. A copy of the brain onto an android so it should act and feel like eagle but there may actually be no organic components anymore.

1 Like

Fulgores are cyborgs which means they have at least a little human. It could be someone else in the fulgore, or cloned body parts.

By definition they HAVE to have biological parts… no matter what.

Yeah i know what a cyborg means, and you’re right the special eagle edition mk3 fulgure is a cyborg, i just double checked his character bio, but are all of the other ones cyborgs also? The throwaway units that she’s tossing around like fodder? I guess if she’s harvesting brains or some weird ■■■■. How much of eagle is in there though, did they take a hunk of his brains? He seemed to be fully cognizant in the novella dream state so i wonder. Maybe she cloned a hunk of brain and copied over the data? It’s all very confusing.

Remember the clones in Star Wars? I could be wrong but I’m thinking its something like that.

Ionce thought he was Eagle turned into a machine. Turns out that’s not the case. That bummed me out a bit cause it seemed like Fulgore really isn’t that significant of a character story wise. Since this was like the Fulgore that stood out from the other fulgores, just as Riptor stands out from the other stalkers.

Now we know Eagle is alive which, as a brother I’m happy for Thunder but oh well.

Felt like a big missed opportunity for me, for the reasons I’ve stated before in this thread.

Yeah I think fulgore should be thunder’s brother RoboCop style

1 Like

Funny thing is Robocop was an inspiration for him as well.

1 Like

From the novella, chapter 5:

ARIA left the chamber, turned a corner and walked down another long hallway. She passed a niche where a powered-down Fulgore prototype unit—one of the UA-CCIX series—stood. Far less sophisticated than the current Fulgores, the CCIXs were thoroughly effective killing machines; but they were prone to overheating, and their teleportation systems were buggy. But one of these units had become self-aware and had started altering its own code. For that reason, ARIA had kept it from the scrapheap; and here it remained until she found a use for it.

So, there are 3 types of Fulgore:
-“Regular Fulgore”. Mindless robots who conforms Aria’s main army.
-“Eagle Fulgore”. A prototype used as vessel for Eagle. Destroyed by Tusk, useless since Eagle’s dissapeared.
-“Self aware Fulgore”. The one mencioned above. Possibly the Glacius tech evolved, or Eagle influence altered his code.

This last Fulgore its surely the one we will use in Shadow Lords. So Fulgore its a self sentient killing machine. Maybe this one is the one who didn’t kill orchid in one of his s1 endings.

Take him as agent Smith on Matrix

Fair enough for me

Honestly this is exactly the one I think we are actually playing. It’s the Fulgore that’s self-aware. So in a way we have different Fulgores from the one we play as. Just as we have different stalkers from Riptor.

1 Like

Yeah but, that fulgore is buggy. And from the gameplay standpoint, I don’t see any “buggyness” coming from him. I’m pretty sure the fulgore we play is the current up-to-date version.