Looks worse now(too much black!)

Spinals stage looks worse now :frowning: doesnt have that ghostly green glow anymore

also I never see the skeleton guys popup anymore?

1 Like

Ah good call. I haven’t seen her a lot in other stages. The way she’s lighted in her own stage would make sense if not for the fact that other characters don’t seem to have quite as much of that effect on them, though I could be wrong given that the character I was using was Rash and he was bright blue. :slight_smile:

I agree though, she looks great in that picture, and man does Maya’s level look awesome now! I liked it before, but just the shadowing from the plants, the way the different colors of green pop… Very well done.

Ghostly green glow? I never really thought his stage had that. Maybe it’s because his skulls are purple now? I tend to think they shouldn’t have made that change. The purple in his shadow moves doesn’t have quite the same wow factor as they did under the old shadow moves.

As for the skeleton guys, I specifically remember seeing a few when I was fighting on that stage. Maybe it’s just not as frequent? I noticed that the wood from the pillars in Jago’s stage don’t really splinter off like they used to.

Maybe the cost of the relighting is that the stages aren’t quite as interactive as they were before? I don’t know that for certain so I’m definitely not asserting this to be the case, but it’s just something I’ve noticed on a few stages.

i thought it was my half-baked pc settings causing characters on that stage to look all shadowed out and nasty. And for some reason my random stage select sent me there like 5 times in a row I now I just manually wiggle the controller stick a few times and pick something, lol

The Aria stage is like super dark. So is Saberwolf’s too.

I also feel like the random stage select its broken

Did you play for long enough untill the shutters open? Xbox vs pc comparison pictures I made a comparison thread (scroll down you cant miss her stage its the cinder / shago)and it shows the difference between them closed and open on that level, and yes there is a difference, because well… there would be when theres only LED lighting or what ever aria uses in her house lol maybe OLED lighting

When I first started up Season 3 -Xbox One Ver- I also thought the new default was too dark and the characters had a weird flat nature to them over how they appeared in S2. I messed around a little bit with the brightness option in settings and if you notch it up a little to 2 or 3 instead of the default 0 it brings a lot more life to the lighting of the character models and makes the game look stunning.

It’s such a drastic change I can’t help wondering if it’s a bug? as the default 0 brightness for season 3 looks terrible on my calibrated setup.

2 Likes

will have to try this out first thing when i log in

I’ll get use to it, just forgot that they said they were going back to black. Do not like all teh black. I feel like Mark Fuhrman. On another note, check out how awesome Retro Blue Orchid looks on the Kim Wu stage

God, on Xbox one, KI got every here and there worse presentation, the game looks like it’s struggling every time you are at a menu.

It’s like a hiccup per second and a near crash every menu selected. Why this bad, so much laginess?

yeah the retro orchid looks like a yummy popsicle in-game. was that always the case?

She always looked good, she just appears to be extra shiny, and you can see teh street light reflections on her too.

Totally disagree. Game looks miles better now, so many stages I always skipped that I love now. Sadiras stage went from one of the worst in the game to maybe the best.

1 Like

What? Darkening? I don’t even know what you talking about shrug

The only thing that looks ‘bad’ in KI are the overuse of particle effects – too much and too frequent. When the game is at its busiest (Fulgor’s stage + Spinal mirror mode), it’s all too much and borderline migraine-inducing. I actually manually select stages now, as cited stage is just an eyesore. (…as true to its desired theme as it might be).

Using these admittedly impressive effects sparingly is the key. Kinda like survival-horror not throwing rotting zombies at you every second and canned jump-scares around every corner – moderation.

Gotta agree. Some stages are really dark, crushed black as you say, others look great. I even had to up the lighting to 3. But I will say it looks overall night and day better now. So much clearer and prettier. The new lightning improved things massively. As someone said above… Sadira’s stage… wow. Was eh before, now it’s gorgeous.

1 Like

I can tell they have a better lighting system, but when you go and purposely make everything all black, it kinda defeats the purpose. This video shows exactly what I’m talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvjpHOmM1HY I think people mistake different for better, a lot of times.

2 Likes

I think everything is brighter, not darker… in a lot o cases Thunder, Fulgore, and Aganos’s stages look washed out.

I had to adjust the lighting to -3 for season 3.

Also a lot of texture detail is lost on all stages, less reflections, and I guess wet characters are no a longer a thing for thunders stage. I’ve only used Season 3 characters, but none of them have a wet effect on their skin when you ultra on Thunders stage.

Sadira’s stage is just horrible BTW… you’re in a CAVE it shouldn’t be all bright and happy looking.

I love the game, but the lighting is a downgrade, not an upgrade.

1 Like

So many people were complaining about the game not looking dark enough like season one and they go and relight every frickin stage and they look amazing and now people say it’s too dark.

I get that you can’t please everyone but man… This board is getting ridiculous lately. Like everything they do, every change they make, there’s new people coming out and saying they don’t like it or asking for a toggle.

Maybe they can relight the stages again for season four so the people that complained all through season two about missing that dark season one magic can rise up and take a verbal squat on this board again.

Not the most constructive post, I know. My sincere apologies.

Side note: I love the particle effects in this game.

1 Like

I’m overall ok with the stages, some texture is less noticeable now but whatever.
The major problem is on some characters: you can’t show me something which should be white, in black (like TJ Combo bandages, Glacius metallic accessories, etc.), and make a character completely pure black if he has black parts (Shago color 9 lower body).
Like I said, TJ Combo white bandages are appearing correctly if he faces left so it’s something wrong in the system, I mean, they’re black if he facing right…it’s not a question of general darkening.
This forum is made so that people can communicate with the staff and I’m communicating that somethins is not working as intended…at least, I think it’s unintended that white is appearing as black due to new lighting.

1 Like