Look out for my Right Hook - TJ Combo Tech Thread

Well I finally feel comfortable with tj combo. Man it’s very satisfying. The key to success is powerlines and more powerlines into shoot toss into vortex…lol oh man im having fun. His instinct is so good. You can literally make a comeback with a few hits while in instinct,the man hits like a tank.

1 Like

He has a Kara throw with lk.
After his exchange ender you have a mixup of the following meaties: cr.hp, cr.mk (hits loo but you need to walk a teensy) or if you wany to risk it his overhead, throw or grapple.

You get the same exact options if you do a throw>dash: cr.hp, cr.mk (hits loo but you need to walk a teensy) or if you wany to risk it his overhead, throw or grapple.

Off an air lk flip from his combo cyclone you can do meatie normals as soon as you land.
Another thing you can do is from his combo cyclone is do a ground lk flipout then immediately cancel into his power line cancel (lk <+>). You’ll SWITCH sides and have enough time to throw out a meaty normal as they land. You can also not make it crossover by just delaying the special cancel for the back dash a bit and remain on the same side and still be able to land a meaty. It looks really weird when he switches sides.

1 Like

Are there any oki setups TJ?

Although I am not new to fighting games having played SF4 from vanilla to ultra/guilty gear/blaz blue I got an xbox one and decided to give KI a try. So as a new player (as of today 3 weeks) I decided to main TJ. What i have found most irritating is the lack of online information there is on TJ. Like Street fighter has Shoryuken.com, anime fighters has dustloop.com. KI has ultra-combo.com but its dead. So i have done my own research and watched what matches I could online (mainly ua bass vs devilmaycare/robelo sets) and I am going to start to post/continue my findings.

So before I start I just want to talk a little about my views and opinions about TJ, and to give a overview for new players that are considering playing TJ. Firstly I just wanna say is HOLY SH*T is he fun to play when you are on the offense.

Pros +

• Fun to play
    -great mixups
  • hard hitting
    -can be hard to break
    -extremely mobile
    -has a great tool kit
  • juggles
  • godlike instinct with extra last breath utility
    -great oki setups (oki=okizami which is your options when your opponent is waking up off the ground)
  • power line gives 1 hit of armor (which in turn you can cancel the on hit armor into and of other 5 options out of powerline)
    -HP that staggers
    -Auto Barrage trait is amazing
  • target combos
  • best flipout/reset (flipout is when the opponent is airborn the move causes them to do a backflip and land on the ground on thier feet also called a reset) usage in the entire cast

Cons -
-terrible defensive options without meter (block/backdash/roll) some matchups at the beggining you feel smothered
-has some terrible matchups without extensive knowledge of the character (im looking at you spinal(instinct)/ fulgore/ riptor/ mira)
-is very execution heavy
-has only 2 frame traps (outside of instinct)

• tremor(recapture) is easy to break and hard to guess when opponent is going to break (can be broke from start to finish) for counter breaker
  • has alot of slow buttons for neutral game
  • does not have many good pokes
    -learning how to manual (a manual is linking a attack instead of canceling into an auto double) everything is required as he only has 3 auto double animations and they are reaaaaaally easy to tell and combo break (lights are punches to face, mediums are punches to kidney, heavy are slow uppercuts)

and thats my 2 cents on tj.

as for new players if you have not been to the dojo (games training mode that teaches you about the game) I highly recommend doing so. KI’s training mode is probalby the best I have ever seen in a fighting game yet, that teaches you how to play. if you are not familiar with what TJ’s moves are or what he can do or anything about KI i recommend reading infil guide very very informative and props to him for making it.
http://ki.infil.net/
http://ki.infil.net/tjcombo.html

aswell if you do know know what hitstun, blockstun, frames, startup/active/recover frames, -/+ on block/hit or what a meaty attack is. I recommend you read
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/106615/basic-frame-data-guide-for-newbies
very informative and you will learn the ins and outs of all fighting games as they follow these same rules.

for reference
xx means to cancel (cancel means to cancel the recovery portion of an animation)
(>)means to link (link means to let the animation completely recover (and your opponent is still in hitstun) which lets you continue the combo.)
~ target combo cancel
st standing
cr crouching
jp jumping
recap recapture
*S Shadow version of the special move
BD backdash
LP light punch
MP medium punch
HP hard punch
LK light kick
MK medium kick
HK hard kick

C-C-C-Combos
So as far as i know (again only 3 weeks so im not sure if other characters are like this) TJ’s combos are pretty much just custom made up on the fly. what do I mean by this? example: normal fighting games go like HP>cr.MP>st.LPxx Special move. TJ isnt like that. example: a tj combo would go something like this LP/MP/HP vortex(launcer)>(st/cr/jp)LP/MP/HP/Tremor>(did you recap? No)> vortex/(st/cr)LP/MP/HP> etc.
looks really confusing doesnt it? You see with TJ after each move you do you have (x) amount of options to choose from for your next part of your combo.
for enders(these are moves you do to end a combo) TJ has:
-wallsplat (opponent hits the wall and bounces forward still in combo state)
-launcher (knocks opponent into the air)
-battery (gives a big boost in shadow meter)
-Damage (adds extra damage)
-side switch (switches to the other side of the opponent)

so for new players-intermediate players here are some combos for you to play with in the training room mode.
beginner

• MP~HP xx Powerline
  • MP~HP xx Backfist xx Auto double > Ender
  • MP~HP xx Backfist > Auto Barrage
  • MP~HP xx Flying Knee xx Auto Double > Ender
  • MP~HP xx Flying Knee > Auto Barrage

Intermediate

• MP~HP xx Fakeout > HP xx Backfist xx Auto Double >Ender
  • MP~HP xx Fakeout > Cr.MK xx Backfist xx Auto Double > Ender
  • MP~ HP xx Fakeout > MP~HP xx Shoot toss > LK (flipout) xx Roll (switches sides) grab/MP~HP/Shoot toss
  • MP~ HP xx Fakeout > MP~HP xx Shoot toss > LK (flipout) xx Fakeout (stays on same side) (meaty) grab/ MP~HP/ Shoot toss
  • MP~ HP xx Fakeout > MP~HP xx Shoot toss > MP Vortex/Cyclone > jp.LP~LK (flpout) >(land before opponent) (meaty) grab/ MP~HP/ Shoot toss
  • MP~HP xx Fakeout > MP~HP xx Flying Knee xx Auto Double > Ender
  • MP~HP xx Fakeout > MP~ HP xx Shoot Toss xx LP/MP/HP Tremor (catch in Air) xx Auto double > Ender
  • Vortex/Cyclone > LP/MP/HP Tremor xx Auto Double >Ender
  • Vortex/Cyclone > LP/MP/HP Vortex/Cyclone > Tremor xx Auto Double > Ender
  • MP~HP xx Fakeout xx HP xx Shoot Toss xx LP Vortex/Cyclone > LP/MP/HP Tremor (Catch in Air) xx Auto Double > Ender
  • *S Vortex/Cyclone > MP xx MP Vortex/Cyclone > MP/HP Tremor xx Auto Double xx Ender
  • *S Vortex/Cyclone > LP > MP xx MP Vortex/Cyclone > MP/HP Tremor xx Auto Double xx Ender

advanced

• MP~HP xx fakeout xx MP~HP xx Shoot Toss > MP xx MP Vortex/Cyclone > HP xx Tremor xx Auto Double > Ender
  • MP~HP xx fakeout xx HP xx Shoot Toss > HP xx MP Vortex/Cyclone (first hit whiff) > HP xx MP Vortex ( first hit whiff) > MP/HP Tremor xx Auto Double > Ender
  • *S Vortex/Cyclone > HP xx MP Vortex/Cyclone > HP xx MP Vortex/Cyclone (first hit whiff) > HP xx MP/HP Tremor xx LK Knee(linker) > Ender
    ` MP~HP xx fakeout xx MP~HP Shoot Toss > LK Tremor > HP manual > MK Flying Knee (linker) > MP~HP manual > Ender

I will go into his Instinct next post. because that is pretty much its own post. but there is some basic-advanced combos for newer players to play around with in training mode. as you get comfortable with them, the beauty of TJ is you can start to customize your combos and do pretty much anything you want. thats what makes him so fun to play with for me.
Hope you enjoy
bye for now

3 Likes

A far as oki Setups Tj has alot. So lets Explore our Options shall we. The thing with Tj’s oki setups are that you have to condition you’re opponent to make them really start having to guess what your mix-up is going to be. the list after the move will be safest to riskiest. you can always make your moves safe on block by canceling them into spinfist which is 0 on block meaning you both return to neutral with neither having an advantage.

1. Meaty Superman Punch (+1 on block) Great for people that love to wakeup with down back, has 5 active frames, can be canceled into any special, can also setup a frame trap with st.jab/cr.jab.

2. Meaty Far HK (+2 on block, +1 on hit) great meaty button has 6 active frames so its easy to hit meaty, can be special canceled into anything after wards. can setup a frame trap with st.jab/cr.jab

3. Meaty Jumping HK (+16 on block) 6 active frames, causes a hard knock down on hit, forcing another mixup, can setup a frame trap with standing/crouching/close LP,MP,HP,LK,MK,HK if blocked.

4. Meaty far MP~MK (-2 on block) 4 active frames, so timing is slightly tight, but it is rather safe pressure can cancel into anything

5. Meaty close MP~HP (-3 on block) 4 active frames, again timing slightly tight, safe pressure HP causes a stagger hit allowing you to combo into Shoot Toss

6. Meaty crouching MK (-3 on block) 3 active frames, timing is rather tight to connect this properly, hits low has decent range can cancel into anything

7. Meaty st/cr.Jab (0 on block) only 2 active frames so you have to be frame perfect for this to connect, great for tick throws.

8. Meaty Shoot toss (-41 if you whiff) if you have conditioned them not to jump or press buttons, if not your in for a huge punish

9. Meaty LK Tremor (-6 on block) if the like to down back on wake up, throw, or press crouching buttons. can link a manual st/cr.lp after a raw Tremor

here are some follow ups you can do.

-Backdash *(frames 1-7 invulnerable) backs off pressure while also baiting buttons or dp’s from opponent
-Jumping HK (+16 on block) causes hard knockdown if the get hit, can cross up aswell and if they block they are forced to eat another mixup, against certian characters if you jump foward for cross up will make thier dp’s whiff aswell because it changes the shape of your hit box orchid, maya are good examples
-Jumping turnaround punch (+12 on block) (opener) cross up, can setup a frame trap aftewards
-Jumping LK (+8 on block) great for a tick throw setup or frame trap with jab, close/far/crouching MP, causes flipout if they try to jump.
-Shadow Powerline (+2 on block, 4 freeze frames, 3 startup frames) if they have no meter, has super armor, wallsplats and you can setup a frame trap afterwards if they block.
-standing/crouching jab (0 on block) frame trap after a superman punch since you are +1 if you are frame tight that means your jab will be active on the 3rd frame only punishable by Shago/Fulgore DP,backdash can bait a dp
-Spinfist (0 on block) (opener) If you want to back off pressure and return neutral. backdash can bait a dp
-cr.LK (-2 on block) combos from a on hit superman punch can be special canceled into anything backdash can bait a dp
-Rollercoaster (D,F+MP) (-3 on block) (opener) if you want to continue with safe pressure (only punishable by 3 frame DP’s fulgor/jago) and you can cancel it into spinfist to make it completely safe. Backdash can bait a dp
-cr.MK (-3 on block) can special cancel into anything. Backdash can bait a dp
-Light Tremor (-6 on block) If you want to do another surprise overhead if you think they will still block low, press crouching buttons, or try to grab.
-Vortex/Cyclone (-9 on block) if you hit confirmed or If you think they will push buttons, if not you are eating a huge punish.
-Flying Knee (-10 on block) if you think they will mash crouching buttons since knee has lower body invulnerability
-Shoot Toss (-41 if wiffed) If you have conditioned them not to jump or press buttons.

just a side not after a blocked meaty a well timed backdash or teleport will beat some of the follow ups.

1 Like

TJ’s Tremor also breaks the manual rule. if you combo into tremor from say MP~HP xx Fakeout > HP xx Shoot Toss > Lk Tremor. You can do any strength of manual after the LK Tremor.

1 Like

also idk if its a bug or game issue, but if you do a LK like say for instance after shoot toss to LK flipout, if you buffer B,F+MK to fast you will get a shadow flying knee if you have meter if you dont have meter you will get a fakeout

This is true of all recaptures.

Neither. Basic input error. You are negative edging the LK into your MK press, and so the result is a simultaneous 2K press. Take your finger completely off of LK before pressing MK and it doesn’t happen.

o wow i did not know that thank you. and i am not negative edging, i completely press 2 seperate buttons. I only use my index finger for lp mp lk mk I play on a stick. i know what negative edging is, its when you for same instance do lk (hold) for flip B,F+release LK

If you are getting EX.Knee you are pressing MK as you release LK, or close enough that it’s accessing the buffer window.

I have never EX.Knee’d when I meant LK>roll, because I don’t negative edge my LK into my MK press. Totally not a game issue.

again i said if you buffer to fast :frowning:

Right, but you also said -

Which is indicative of a negative edged LK. Fakeout doesn’t happen w/o a LK press.

“Buffering too fast” is a player error, not a game error, which is good because it means you can solve the problem yourself, instead of having to wait for a patch.

Try it yourself do it as fast as you can lol, I just think I’m accessing the games buffer system, and it’s reading it as B,F+LK,MK

But it doesn’t work when I do it so fast I negative edge LK in the buffer…

All good

I am kind of interested in seeing video of your hands at work. You mentioned that you only use your index for L/M’s, so in my minds eye your hands have got to be moving like stupid fast. Or I am just a slow old man.

I play on stick as well, but I use my thumb for LK and my middle finger for MK in this instance.

Actually I had that wrong, I use a combination of double finger taps, index finger and middle fingerer and sometimes pinky

Wow more TJ tech!? Shiiit bout time

Power of Instinct

1 Like

All credit goes to @Dynamic1012