Lockout!

Yes, it seems that way.

And hey, for future, do not solely go on someone’s level of skill based on their knowledge of numeric “specs” of the game. I have met some frame data gurus that still hit the floor easily. Besides, there’s no need to know the exact time on counter breaks since it counts down on screen.

As something as basic as knowing the lockout timers times…pretty ignorant of someone to NOT know it. That’s common knowledge. Almost the equivalent of a medic player not knowing that he can heal the team.

By the way…it’s 4 seconds… says it right in the dojo…if you paid attention…

I dunno, you say it would bring in a larger audience but the biggest complaint we get from people that drop the game is that the offense isn’t rewarded enough. They feel combo breakers happen too often as it is and that lock outs aren’t rewarding enough. Removing lockouts would also weaken the counter breaker game because it becomes a complete guess on when your opponent will try to break as opposed to something you can bait, that whole mind game would be ruined and turned into a lucky guess.

Counter breakers wouldn’t work actually. Since you’re not getting locked out they would serve no purpose…you would just be pressing buttons for the sake of pressing buttons.

1 Like

Again…ask me what I wore last Friday…

the dojo was only released 3 years ago…

You wore a bright blue shirt with quicksilver logo on the back.

3 years ago…it takes what? 20 mins to skim through it? An hour or two to fully absorb everything in on one go?

If combo breaking becomes easier without Lockout risk, then it encourages the use of counter breakers more often. Don’t you think?

You’d still be breaking the counter breaker combo since there’s no lockout timer…as you suggested.

Knock knock…anyone home?

lol. What do I look like running from my laptop to power up my system and go to the dojo and find the right session that tells me how long the counter breaker lasts, then run back to my laptop to show proof that I know something that…does not matter to the topic haha. If I were quicksilver I could make running back and forth look cool but nah.

Then case closed.

Ahhh I see where you are confused. The timer on the counter breaker can stay. The self-lockout should go. But I can see no one here wants that so it…no longer matters. Cool conversation bro.

I’m not your bro, we haven’t bonded. You’re just another…subject is all.

LMAO HAHA omg

Some people are grumpy. Don’t sour your experience by over engaging with them.

As far as KI 1 & 2 they had much more difficult breakers to perform. Also, the breakers actually inflicted damage which lead to incentivized short combos. Long combos are sort of the “thing” for KI. The original arcade games were popular and have lots of fans, but looking at them through a modern lens they are pretty deeply flawed in terms of their fighting mechanics. It’s not a great example. It’s. Little bit like saying SF 2 didn’t have a dash so why do you need one in SF V?

I’m guessing the devs experimented with different things and then introduced the lockout timer. I really don’t think it is feasible to get rid of it. You would have to introduce some sort of penalty - maybe adding potential damage for each missed breaker? Even so, how would you prevent people from just hitting all three during every move? If you start on lights then cycle to medium then heavies you will have time to break literally every Autodouble or linker in the game every time. Counterbreakers cant make up for this, at least not in current form.

3 Likes

BigBadAndy. Thank you for the best and most insightful comment on this subject. And don’t worry, my experience didn’t sour. Certain types of people like to talk big behind a computer screen, it gets them in their feelings.

Happy gaming–

These suggestions aren’t based on a full grasp of the game. You need to play more and understand the system first.

If you didn’t have lockouts you could simply do a quick 360 on the right analogue and instantly break any combo.

You could counterbreak, but you’d get no punish because once again, all combos are now insta-breakable.

If you can’t differentiate by speed then you can look at your characters hit reaction.

Just wanted to point out that the KI 1 and 2 were both fairly terrible games from a competitive aspect and part of that was in due to the restrictive nature of the combo breaker system allowing for some abusable combos such as Cinder loop and such.

I feel that lockouts are in a perfectly reasonable place at this time simply because it is up to the player on offense to make the lockouts as hard as possible to predict which leads to overall lower damage combos and the lockout can serve as a reward for tricking the player on defense.

Removing locking entirely with the combo system in its current form would just allow players to mash every combo breaker until they succeed.

sigh Again it has nothing to do with whether or not someone understands the game.

I thought about it some more…and truthfully I really think I just don’t want Killer Instinct to die sooner than it needs to. I mean I don’t want its survival to be based on they hype for new seasons.

I gave 3 suggestions. Yes maybe 1 or 2 of them were way left field but, I’ve seen really good games such as this die off because the general appeal couldn’t survive beyond the dlc.

Sunset Overdrive I said, “hey add in a pvp mode for longevity because AI gets easy after a while”. I was shot down, now look at the game.

I don’t know maybe I’m thinking accesibility. Maybe I’m tired of my casual friends and family playing the game with me and can’t touch me because they don’t own the game. Because there is so much to learn.

Maybe I’m just getting old. Maybe I don’t have the time to spend in the lab anymore since I graduated and working now. Maybe there is a scene today for Killer Instinct that is just as strong as when I was into Street fighter 4, Mahvel 3, Tekken Tag 2, and Smash bros. Maybe I am out of place here.

Does no one else feel this? Even a little?
Are there things on the game you would change?

Welcome and cards on the table. I think the negative reactions you’re getting come from a combination of things.

First, this post fits a format for posts that usually don’t get well-received here. And I’m not trying to be mean, I’m just calling it by how it looks. New poster comes in and posts a drastic change to gameplay that doesn’t seem to demonstrate a fundamental grasp of the game. Now, the reason this seems this way is that you seem to be ignoring why lockouts exist in the first place. In the original Killer Instinct games, there was no lockout because breakers were difficult to execute. The current Killer Instinct incorporates lockouts as a check and balance. Breakers are easier to execute and it is also easier to read what your opponent is doing with the combo system that is used. It makes jumping in as a new player fairly accessible due to the easy nature of opener-stuff-ender while preserving incredible depth with things like counter breakers, manuals, etc.

Thus with the basics of the game easier to understand and there being no downside to attempt a breaker (such as a meter cost), a lockout is necessary to balance that aspect. Just as proper reads are rewarded and bad reads are punished when initiating offense, the same is true on defense this way. Because of this, lockouts seem like a no-brainer and glossing over this necessity does make it look like you don’t quite understand why they’re there.

Second, getting rid of lockouts for any reason would hurt the game in the long run. People aren’t going to be more interested just because lockouts are easier. Lockouts being easier would invariably make it harder for newbies and casuals because then they get broken by better players easier as well. Except their combo potential won’t be optimized, they won’t know set ups or match ups and they won’t know how to counter break, like the people who they will be facing. I understand why you suggested these changes, but they ultimately won’t make it more appealing. Any aspect of the game’s defense that is made easier for casuals will automatically benefit more experienced players more.

Last, I’m there with you. I want this game to last as long as it can because I got into it late and it is just wonderful. I love how it’s one of the only games that never lets you rest. On offense, getting combo’ed, or whatever is happening, you have to be thinking and participating fully. From match start to match end, you are going full steam. I, and I think all of us, can appreciate what you’re trying to do. But it needs to be done the right way. Tackling something as necessary and balanced as the lockouts without offering a true alternative doesn’t really push that goal forward. Shortening or removing lockouts will make breakers much too strong. Shortening combos will extend matches and affect lockouts negatively, but won’t really promote the usefulness of some tools, set ups and tactics if super short, low damage combos is the only game in town

In summation, welcome. Much love. None of us mind suggestions, but you should be prepared if they seem a little ill conceived. I found this one out recently myself in humbling fashion.

2 Likes

Yeah, I see what you mean about it all. Great summary and explanation of what to expect on the forum too.

I’m probably just wanting to make fighting games a household name again like the 90’s and 00’s before everything was about tournament this and tournament that. Hell Street Fighter V thought it didn’t need a good arcade mode because it catered to the tournament scene.

I guess I’ll be quiet and wait for Shadow Lords mode in killer instinct. That might do the trick.

1 Like