Let's talk about the metagame, seriously

It’s still a thing too, that’s what makes it funny :joy:

Well, I know what to go for to play mind games with you when playing Jago :joy:

1 Like

Jago was a part of the reason I didn’t like s3 for a bit. Dude was too stupid.

1 Like

I will admit, he was pretty powerful. But, he seems to be a bit more fair and balanced now.

Remember when Jago was able to DP after a light blocked DP? The Thompxson special, it was nuts.

Or when you would combo break and Instinct cancel into your health gain.

Ah, Jago was fun… but really really stupid. In before they remove his DP damage by 20% or reduce range even more lol.

I’m fine with shadow fireball being -6 (it’s actually still pretty hard to punish), but the situation Storm described is not even close to how bad safe reversals can get, heh.

I remember a match in SF4, Ryu vs Sagat, where both players had full super meter. They went back and forth with safe DP FADC mixups on each other until they were out of meter (so Ryu did DP FADC, then Sagat did, then Ryu did, then Sagat did), and then Sagat did unsafe uppercut at the end of all that and it worked. And if any of those 4 DPs hit, it was 600 damage with ultra.

3 Likes

True enough, but that sort of thing added value to how nuts Street Fighter once was as a player when you could exhaust resources to force a safe situation. To the spectator it’s no different to SFV, but it shows how much of drag the new iteration has become because of the intense balancing that came with it.

I know it’s a bit extreme, but I sincerely hope KI never reaches that level. Clearly the devs understand that characters need balancing to prevent from being absolutely broken in certain scenarios, but it can get dangerous if it gets too balanced.

Actually a really good video to this.

1 Like

Eh, what it really showed was that defense was too good in SF4. You would work your tail off to get close to Sagat, navigating tiger shots and 180 damage DPs as he built a ton of meter doing that, and then when you finally get close, he just DP FADCs outta there. Your only option (on the surface) to stop it is to try and be out of range of DP, which basically forces you to give up huge space and, depending on how you stayed out of range, Sagat might be able to avoid doing DP on reaction.

The only reason SF4 continued to have popularity was because we figured out some really strong ways to beat wakeup DP involving ambiguous crossups and unblockables. Without those discoveries, the game would have fallen out of favor quickly, I think.

Exhausting resources to force a safe situation is fine (and I like that stuff), but not when the option being made safe is invincible, and especially when it’s hard to make the invincible move whiff. Street Fighter’s relatively slow pace of play also matters a lot too, since it could be 30 seconds before you get close again. In a game like KoF (say), it might be a bit more tolerable because of all your movement options, but even theeeeeen I wouldn’t put it in the game.

Oh man, you could do that? Oh, how I wish I knew to do that before those nerfs! That would have been great!

OP, try tusk. His crouching hp is the best (easiest to use with a huge hurt box). It deals out some 18 or 20% damage in one hit. You have to be careful though cause it’s punishable on block.

Wow, this thread turned good. Thanks guys.

1 Like

Yeah I used to get caught by the follow up standing heavy punch. It does some gnargly damage. Luckily enough, I learned to just stuff it with an Endokuken or just block the follow up.

I’ve only seen a few Tusks take full advantage of his instinct where they actually utilize his “anti-punish” by canceling out of what would normally be punishable into something that will catch you. It looks amazing during an actual combo. Somewhat a shame that I don’t see enough of it nor is it posted in his tech thread.

Play @DoomguyEx2 for a couple rounds, he will get you up to speed on all those tricks @oTigerSpirit

:slight_smile:

1 Like

If I can get him in a match it would be nice to use as a reference to Tusks potential and potential tech on the forums. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you’re looking for a good tusk try street ns.

So long as he takes full advantage of his instinct, I don’t necessarily need to see good neutral or pacing as much as I just want to see some crazy instinct shenanigans.

I think the craziest use of Instinct I’ve seen (and there aren’t a lot of Tusks so I haven’t seen much) is from Wheels. There’s gotta be some tournament footage somewhere.

1 Like

I think @UABass has a good Group set session with Wheels vs Rico where Wheels used Tusk. There was lots of Instinct shenanigans if I recall correctly from Wheels. It was a great set of matches.