Kim wu is too low tier

The problem I have with it is that I tend to press it more than once, so I end up backing away from my opponent. It’s hard to want to push a button to play the “neutral” game which can result in a short-ranged character giving up space.

I’m going to assume you mean Heavy Dragon Dance? Wouldn’t Heavy Dragon Dance miss entirely, and certainly not continue the combo?

Lol Skeletal, it does say that. You even quoted it.

Depends on your spacing, and whether you have a dragon.

1 Like

Somehow I read that as Dragon Kick - maybe I saw Kick below and inadvertently transposed it while reading the above section.

Either that or you corrected a mistake right as I was quoting you - I’m going to assume the latter because then I didn’t make a mistake.

:smiley:

1 Like

I have limited matchup experience because I have only played Tusk, but the folk who beat me with Kkm Wu are doing exactly this. “Jump back” Kim Wu and then punishing me when I commit to something. Tusk has a big profile and that dragon kick is fast. Once they get a dragon or two then it’s jump, quick dragon cancel cross up j.HP. Really hard to react to this.

I think KI is a very attractive game for rush down players because most characters are able to apply a good amount of offensive pressure. Heck, even “rush down Glacius” is a legit strategy. But Kim Wu, without dragons is clearly NOT a rush down character. I really think once people sort this out the whole complexion of the discussion is going to change.

1 Like

Aria also wrecks Kim

I LOVE this character but she has some glaring weaknesses

-Parry sometimes leaves you punishable in situations that it shouldn’t

-Shadow counter whiffs or misses a few of the normal 5 hits vs certain moves/certain situations

-AAs could be better (esp dragon kicks, cr hp not as bad as ppl say)

-damage on dragon ender is VERY poor (they try to make up for it by letting her shadow dragon kick cash out HUGE), and yes it SHOULD be the LEAST damaging ender, but increase the cash out just a bit

-Shadow Dragon Kick needs to be a few frames faster. Sometimes and opponent will throw a projectile, and you can’t punish in time with this move

-Shadow dragon kick needs an adjusted hitbox (whiffs in certain situations that if prob shouldn’t)

-firecracker sometimes gets hit by projectiles and Kim takes damage from projectiles instead of reflecting

-firecracker cannot reflect Glacius’s shatter (which is now a projectile)

-THIS IS A BIG ONE—shadow dragon dance is too slow to punish opponents appropriately on reaction

****Honestly, most of the tweaks seem very minor and would help the character play more true to her concept

3 Likes

I mostly agree with everything you’ve posted. She really only needs some tweaks to be very viable against the majority of the cast. I think she may be the most buggiest of the S3 characters released in things that shouldn’t whiff, but does. A big one that happens often is shadow counters.

I would also add that dragon kick has terrible priority for the amount of frames vulnerable if blocked. I know that I have been hit out of it by many characters normals where it didn’t make sense (Glacius, Tusk, etc.) I think it should be something like Jago’s windkick in priority.

I really like the character and will continue to play her even though I’m going to be playing the heck out of Mira soon.

That’s why I’m hoping that by Mira’s release we can see a couple hi note changes in Kim, if not she’s still fun…

The chat in PAX stream went hard on Kim’s “apparent” low tier status. Kind of funny to read that.

counter hits do not constitute skill any more than counterbreakers do. to be honest, i dont even know why they thought kim wu needed a counter, but thats besides the point. im not a designer for fighting game characters but i think its better to have a character thats easy to pick up and play rather than making a character that very few people can play well.

I think it’s good to have a combination of both. Simple characters are well and good, but I enjoy characters whose abilities I can explore. I really enjoy playing a character who challenges me and offers a high skill ceiling.

A game should have characters that appeal to players who want a simple character and players who want a complex character. I think KI has a pretty good variety of both. Rash and Tusk were very straightforward characters and Kim Wu and Arbiter are a little bit more complex.

thats true, but its easy to mess up a very technical character, (hense kan ra)

i just feel like kim wu didnt need a lot of these random resources like counters and techable command grabs.

I don’t think Kim is low tier. She is one of those characters that will take a bit to master, like a Kan-Ra, or an Aganos.

Sure, it’s easy to play them, but when you get into the advanced stuff, it’s like driving 90 degrees straight up.

If I’d have to pick, Kim is Mid tier. She is a Whiff-Punishing Monster with a lot of Mixups and tools at her disposal.

Where are you at in ranked by the way, Ostrich? I remember I had a Kim mirror with you when I was still like a level 12 or so. Have you continued using her against high level players? Once I got to Killer rank with Kim Wu I reset and started playing Tusk to see if I could get to Killer with him, but I felt really good about my Kim Wu against the Killers at the time of my reset.

Yeah, I’m a Killer now, using nothing but Kim. I am going to stick with her, as I love her playstyle, and she means a lot to me, as I played with her as a Kid. I play Kim a lot, but I do switch back and forth from time to time with Jago and TJ.

2 Likes

Haha, nice. We have similar tastes in characters. That far-left side of the screen is my go-to as well.

1 Like

Consensus at TX Showdown was that Kim was dead last on the tier list

Smh such a beautiful character.

I wanted to pull this out because it should highlight for people the fact that the character is less important than the player until or unless you are operating at a very high level of competition - where people can be expected to make a lot of good reads, disciplined choices and optimal punishes etc.

I still think it’s early to make these kinds of statements. I just don’t know if people have really solved her play style yet.

Having said that there are a few things that I think are fairly reasonable consensus suggestions.

1. Her shadow counter has to get better
  2. There’s no need for a gap in her firecracker deflection
  3. Some form of assistance in obtaining dragons

We’ll see if MS and IG take a stab at adjusting her. Still, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone find some tech that changes people’s perception of her.

1 Like

I definitely agree that her complete joke of a shadow counter needs to be fixed.

That’s not even me saying “she needs buffs”. Shadow Counters are an important part of the KI metagame- a functional Shadow Counter is always needed.

2 Likes