Kim matchups

A lot of the matchup threads that I’ve seen have been pretty dated.

Is there a fairly accurate Kim matchup list out there that highlights she excels against and is a poor matchup for her?

There really doesn’t seem to be any bad characters in ki in the right hands… with Kim I do well against Riptor rash, I do okay against aganos

I get wrecked by FG, I get really wrecked by orchid and well I get wrecked by a lot of people to be honest but it would be nice to know I had a Time how wrecked I’m going to get by matchup :relaxed:

Kim has surprisingly few truly bad matchups. Between her good footsies, advantaged blockstrings, layered mix-ups, overall decent defense and anti-zoning she can hold her own against almost anyone, even if she has to put the work in. She can struggle against Kan-Ra’s unique style of zoning, or characters with really oppressive and unpredictable offense like Fulgore and Aria, but she’s far from alone in those.

She does have easily one of the worst in the entire game though: Aganos. Aganos overwhelmingly counters or outmaches all of her strengths almost like he was deliberately designed to. Personally, I strictly refuse to play this matchup and use another character.

2 Likes

That sounds about right. I don’t face a lot of Arias but it doesn’t tend to go well. Same with fg.

Interesting about agons. I’m going to see if I can come up with the strategy then because I have something that works against AG and it seems to work from time to time.

I’m probably just getting lucky then

The best advice for characters like Fulgore and Aria is to learn their offense and the patterns of the player using them, because if they’re good they’ll make life on defense rough no matter what character you’re playing.

And I hate to say it, but against a genuinely good Aganos the most Kim can do is guess milliseconds ahead with HK or HP or go for a grab for a chance get in. He outranges her and she has no moves that have a fair chance of stripping his armor. From a pure MU standpoint, her reversals and style of mixups just can’t threaten him.

That makes sense

I agree about Aganos, except for noob and even advanced Aganos players can get wrecked by her heavy nunchuks abused. Granted, no skilled player would be defeated so easily but it is still funny to beat him by just mashing heavy punch.

Ok, after 1000+ matches as Kim going to give my opinions, which are not of a killer rank player but just a low level gold one:

Jago: Kim has a fighting chance here. Jago does have a very well rounded and easy to use set of tools so it will be a tough match.

Shago: Again, Kim has a fighting chance here due to her dragon kick’s movement being able to derail Shago’s movement shenanigans.

Aganos: Aganos players can be rolled by abuse of heavy nunchuks if not prepared, but yeah overall it is like a gnat trying to fight a mountain. Her dragon kicks are almost useless if Aganos blocks. Best strategy is to leap to the other side and heavy nunchuk.

Raam: Hard one for Kim b/c fighting a mountain lol. Hit and run seems to be the best strategy here.

Maya: She’s my other main. Kim is on pretty even footing with her.

Gargos: Kim usually has the advantage here. Her dragon kicks make flying very risky for him, so he is on the ground which is not as good for him.

Aria: Aria usually has the advantage here, but might just be because in expert hands she is so deadly.

Sabrewulf: Slightly difficult for Kim, because he does not jump much or anything which makes her kicks not very useful.

Riptor: Same as sabrewulf pretty much unless the riptor player uses too many fireballs which Kim can deflect.

Orchid: Pretty even match for her I think.

Tusk: Tough one for Kim I think. Hard to jump in and get close because of his 360 sword swipe. Might be possible to dragon counter it but hard.

Thunder: Tough one for Kim again. Most of her tools are useless against him, and his combos will eat almost an entire life bar.

Mira: Pretty even for Kim I think. Dragon kicks reduce Mira’s mobility quite a bit.

Rash: Hard one for Kim. His unconventional attacks work well agains her and his ball resists the dragon kick.

Arbiter: Hard one for Kim. His repeated sweeping strikes hit hard and far and her reach is too short to counter effectively.

Cinder: Kim has a fighting chance here. HIs extreme mobility can be countered with dragon kick.

Eyedol: Tough one for Kim. His attacks hit hard and far and it is difficult for her to retaliate. It is hard to get close to him because of lightning, meteors, and ground electricity.

Fulgore: Pretty even. Kim’s kicks and good jumping get out of the way of his teleport.

Kilgore: Same as Fulgore.

Glacius: Kim might have a bit of an edge here. She can dragon kick him while he is casting ice projectiles or dragon kick him. She can get out of the way of his underground teleport.

Kan-Ra: Hard one for Kim if they know what they are doing. Which is hard since he is such a difficult character to master. Once he sets up traps not much she can do though.

Omen: Pretty even for Kim I think. Her dragon kicks counter his flight but he is very fast and can easily outpace her.

Spinal: Pretty even I think. He does not jump that much so kicks are limited in use except for escaping his warp.

Hisako: Pretty even I think. Her kicks are not that useful, but it can be hard for Hisako to close in.

Shin Hisako: Same as Hisako

Sadira: Pretty even I think. Her jumping can be shut down by dragon kicks, but she is so fast that it is difficult.

TJ Combo: I think combo has a slight edge here. Most of his attacks blow through anything Kim has. However, his movement is pretty stinky aside from power moves, so she can dragon kick/jump around many of his moves.

Eagle: I think it is pretty even. I have never played anything less than an expert Eagle player, so I always lost against him. However, logically her projectile deflect should counter arrows which are his main thing.

Anyway, I could be incorrect in some of the above so feel free to weigh in.

A good Aria player is going to be tough for Kim I think. She just has too many tools available for different situations.

Now, fulgore on the other hand relies on his warp heavily, which you can jump or dragon kick away from or ideally dragon kick right into them when they appear.

All right I’m going to respond in line here at least with my experience just because I’ve had enough coffee that I want to do it.

-_--------

Jago: Kim has a fighting chance here. Jago does have a very well rounded and easy to use set of tools so it will be a tough match.
— j defeats my Kim more then anyone. Part of that might be due to the amount of Jago players.

Shago: Again, Kim has a fighting chance here due to her dragon kick’s movement being able to derail Shago’s movement shenanigans.

–shago normally gets me. I haven’t spent much time with shadow learning his combos or his moves so generally I’m just trying to figure out what just happened.

Aganos: Aganos players can be rolled by abuse of heavy nunchuks if not prepared, but yeah overall it is like a gnat trying to fight a mountain. Her dragon kicks are almost useless if Aganos blocks. Best strategy is to leap to the other side and heavy nunchuk.
–I thought a good AG last night and yeah I didn’t have much against him.

Raam: Hard one for Kim b/c fighting a mountain lol. Hit and run seems to be the best strategy here.
–I haven’t fought too many but I did okay against a high-ranking Raam but I felt like I was playing her like a Street fighter character… maybe more like a mortal Kombat 2 character so on to something there

Maya: She’s my other main. Kim is on pretty even footing with her.
–I almost took out a 36 Star killer who was playing Maya and he gave me a nice compliment I only got down I think his first life bar maybe a little bit more I generally lose to Maya I have difficulty combo breaking

Gargos: Kim usually has the advantage here. Her dragon kicks make flying very risky for him, so he is on the ground which is not as good for him.

-I’ve only fought a couple

Aria: Aria usually has the advantage here, but might just be because in expert hands she is so deadly.
–I agree

Sabrewulf: Slightly difficult for Kim, because he does not jump much or anything which makes her kicks not very useful.
–I do have trouble with saber wolf.

Riptor: Same as sabrewulf pretty much unless the riptor player uses too many fireballs which Kim can deflect.

–raptors my second so I know generally what they’re going to do I’m probably 50/50.

Orchid: Pretty even match for her I think.

-I lose to orchid quite a bit.

Tusk: Tough one for Kim I think. Hard to jump in and get close because of his 360 sword swipe. Might be possible to dragon counter it but hard.
-I don’t fight a lot of tusk. I think you and I had a match we got pretty close. I’ve actually been putting in some time against tusk so I’m curious to see how my next tusk matchup goes. The amount of life he takes away is ridiculous.

Thunder: Tough one for Kim again. Most of her tools are useless against him, and his combos will eat almost an entire life bar.

-if a good thunder gets you in the corner it’s like being in a blender.

Mira: Pretty even for Kim I think. Dragon kicks reduce Mira’s mobility quite a bit.

–I have faced so few that I can’t even comment. I think I’ve only fought maybe one or two.

Rash: Hard one for Kim. His unconventional attacks work well agains her and his ball resists the dragon kick.

–I do pretty well against rash. I think I’ve defeated one killer rash maybe two. Both disconnected RQd

Arbiter: Hard one for Kim. His repeated sweeping strikes hit hard and far and her reach is too short to counter effectively.
–off of any throw I do a heavy kick cross up meaty (allegedly it’s a meaty) and if it connects medium or high kick dragon kick (the YOLO kicks not the q cb version) because he’s so big it connects and you can juggle off of it.

Cinder: Kim has a fighting chance here. HIs extreme mobility can be countered with dragon kick.
–the only senders I fight quite good and I’ve noticed that everyone that is really high ranked with cinder is on point with their counter-breakers and combo breakers.

Eyedol: Tough one for Kim. His attacks hit hard and far and it is difficult for her to retaliate. It is hard to get close to him because of lightning, meteors, and ground electricity.

-only fought a couple

Fulgore: Pretty even. Kim’s kicks and good jumping get out of the way of his teleport.
–I have to figure out this matchup because generally speaking I get bodied pretty hard. For the most part I’m on defense here and that doesn’t seem to work very well.

Kilgore: Same as Fulgore.
-I don’t think I’ve fought any

Glacius: Kim might have a bit of an edge here. She can dragon kick him while he is casting ice projectiles or dragon kick him. She can get out of the way of his underground teleport.

–cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder hail teleport cold shoulder tail teleport medium punch Lance cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder teleport…

Kan-Ra: Hard one for Kim if they know what they are doing. Which is hard since he is such a difficult character to master. Once he sets up traps not much she can do though.

-laughingly difficult match for me

Omen: Pretty even for Kim I think. Her dragon kicks counter his flight but he is very fast and can easily outpace her.
–haven’t faced many

Spinal: Pretty even I think. He does not jump that much so kicks are limited in use except for escaping his warp.
–doing better against him

Hisako: Pretty even I think. Her kicks are not that useful, but it can be hard for Hisako to close in.
–I’m doing well against sako

Shin Hisako: Same as Hisako

• same

Sadira: Pretty even I think. Her jumping can be shut down by dragon kicks, but she is so fast that it is difficult.
-I lose

TJ Combo: I think combo has a slight edge here. Most of his attacks blow through anything Kim has. However, his movement is pretty stinky aside from power moves, so she can dragon kick/jump around many of his moves.

-combo definitely has an edge. Especially if they’re really good a really good TJ combo is pretty fun to watch actually

Eagle: I think it is pretty even. I have never played anything less than an expert Eagle player, so I always lost against him. However, logically her projectile deflect should counter arrows which are his main thing.

-same. Whenever I face an eagle they always know exactly what to do I feel like I’m fighting someone who knows my button inputs before I press them.

— j defeats my Kim more then anyone. Part of that might be due to the amount of Jago players.

Yeah, it’s just the amount of Jago players. I destroy Jago qualifiers, defeat Jago bronze, usually beat Jago silvers. Gold ones usually kick my ■■■ and killers always demolish me.

–shago normally gets me. I haven’t spent much time with shadow learning his combos or his moves so generally I’m just trying to figure out what just happened.

Me too, but is usually the gold or higher level shagos that do. Blocking low helps a lot, plus use your dragon kicks mobility to mess up their plan and possibly knock them out of the sky.

–I thought a good AG last night and yeah I didn’t have much against him.
Yeah, had a matchup tonight where I basically could not do anything. Set my controller down, and the Ag player was nice and let me get some hits in before he finished me off.

–I haven’t fought too many but I did okay against a high-ranking Raam but I felt like I was playing her like a Street fighter character… maybe more like a mortal Kombat 2 character so on to something there

Hit and run had some success today although I did not win 2/3 I won one match.

–I almost took out a 36 Star killer who was playing Maya and he gave me a nice compliment I only got down I think his first life bar maybe a little bit more I generally lose to Maya I have difficulty combo breaking

I can beat silver or below Mayas. Once you get to gold skill increases exponentially.

–raptors my second so I know generally what they’re going to do I’m probably 50/50.

Ah. That’s probably the answer in a lot of these cases, is knowing the enemy very well.

-I lose to orchid quite a bit.

I don’t see many orchids ranked below gold though.

-I don’t fight a lot of tusk. I think you and I had a match we got pretty close. I’ve actually been putting in some time against tusk so I’m curious to see how my next tusk matchup goes. The amount of life he takes away is ridiculous.

No, it was someone else I have never played Tusk just Kim and Maya. Aside from that time I forgot to select a character and played boring old Jago…

Yeah, Tusk does major, major damage. Guess parry might be Kim’s only hope.

-if a good thunder gets you in the corner it’s like being in a blender.

Yeah. I think that the key with thunder is honestly not to get close to him at all. I had some success today with running away from him after taking some life off. Still lost, but not as badly.

–I do pretty well against rash. I think I’ve defeated one killer rash maybe two. Both disconnected RQd

What’s your secret against rash? I really hate that the dragon kick just bounces off the ball, that is so incredibly broken.

–off of any throw I do a heavy kick cross up meaty (allegedly it’s a meaty) and if it connects medium or high kick dragon kick (the YOLO kicks not the q cb version) because he’s so big it connects and you can juggle off of it.

Will give that a try. But how do you get in close enough to do the throw?

–I have to figure out this matchup because generally speaking I get bodied pretty hard. For the most part I’m on defense here and that doesn’t seem to work very well.

Yeah, you need to be mobile. If you sit still he teleports next to you and murders you. Also keep in mind that he is likely the best character in the game.

–cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder hail teleport cold shoulder tail teleport medium punch Lance cold shoulder teleport cold shoulder teleport…

Blocking cold shoulder and countering with nunchuks helps turn the tide. It is very fast though, so easier said than done.

-laughingly difficult match for me

If you jump around you should be able to crush bronze and below level Kan Ras.

Sadira:
-I lose

When she flips and tries to web pull you block it and counter with a dragon kick.

-same. Whenever I face an eagle they always know exactly what to do I feel like I’m fighting someone who knows my button inputs before I press them.

Yeah. If a character is only played by people of very high skill it is hard to determine whether the matchup.

I just got tanked by a level 1 level 2 qualifier with saber wolf :joy: I have to remember how to block

1 Like

@MemorialOak I just beat a five star agonos with Kim. But I lost it pretty much everyone else I I faced tonight :relaxed:

What’s your strat against aganos?

Yeah wulf hits very fast and hard, you do have to block his initial string. Though I think it helps to avoid being directly in front of him, I think at rushdown he beats Kim in general.

duck and cover!

2 Likes

lol

Never block smash buttons try not to get by rocks mostly

Let me get back to you on that I’m going to try to see if I can figure out if I have a strategy or if I just got lucky I’m not entirely sure yet.