Killer Instinct Season 3 Details

I know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, he’s dark around his eyes! That’s what I want for Tusk!

1 Like

WOOO! That means they can release this ona HARD DISK! and they can do that easy. Basiclaly it’s the price of a standard game.

And 10 dollars less in the Ultra-pck’s price, kind of makes since. Since well, we’re not really getting anything extra here.

Where’s my weekly story!!! AHHHHHH Viking war cries!!!

I think it looks awesome - his blood is boiling! :smiley:

Anyone saw that new lighting in Spinal’s stage during the Arbiter stream? My God, 11/10 :heart_eyes:

1 Like

To simply mention the Tusk vs Hisako counter thing briefly, Hisako’s counter is active on frame 1, whereas Tusk’s deflect window happens in the middle of an otherwise really slow move. With Hisako, you counter with intent (often on reaction) and with Tusk, it’s part of a general “please don’t press buttons in my space” gameplan. You definitely couldn’t, say… react to a reasonably fast move and deflect it with Tusk. You couldn’t use it as a reversal. To me, the two seem totally dissimilar.

As for all of the news itself, a lot of it is cool! Tusk and Arbiter’s gameplans seem really neat. Some of those screenshots of Tusk’s face are a little lol, but it seems unlikely to change much. Oh well, there are lots of average/ugly fighting game characters (Ken’s SFIV and SFV face on character select is laughably bad), it’s probably something we just have to live with. I don’t think he looks that bad most of the time anyway. Tusk’s back tattoo and sword effects are really cool. The one thing that really stood out to me from Tusk gameplay, though, is how weird his level 4 Conqueror/DP ender looked. He just kinda floats up to the top of the screen and the other guy floats with him while taking massive damage. Compared to how much impact all his other swings have, this one stands out as weird to me.

My first reaction to the new shadow effects was really bad. Like many others here, I loved the old shadow effects… they were really subtle, and they often imparted the color of the fighter (Orchid’s shadow moves were green and yellow, for instance). The after-effect of the old shadows made it look like they were just moving too fast for the world to keep up, and I liked that. There’s nothing subtle about the new effect… it is a giant purple smoke cloud that is very in-your-face and not subtle at all. They are so aggressive that they actually get in the way of the fight and become the focus of your attention, rather than the character doing the move.

After watching a bit more match footage, I grew to tolerate them a bit more; they sometimes look decently cool. But still, my main concern with them is just how much they stand out and take away from the fight. The purple tint is way too much and makes the game look ugly at times… the characters themselves should definitely not be tinted purple, because it looks like they’re poisoned (maybe this is actually intended for some story mode reason, but when it impacts gameplay so substantially, it’s not good). If the team were to tone down the shadow effects a little bit, take away the purple tint from the characters so Jago doesn’t randomly fluctuate between regular and purple when I throw a shadow fireball in neutral, and make the purple cloud behind the character a little softer, I think it will go a long way to helping it look better.

5 Likes

My reaction, even after seeing it in motion, is that it still looks bad.

But I’m not surprised. It’s more of the same stuff from MS/IG, changing things that didn’t need changes. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”? Nope. “If it ain’t broke, ‘break’ it, and ‘fix’ it no less than 30 days later”.

What, exactly, was bad with the original shadow move graphics? Who complained about it? Did it negatively affect gameplay, somehow? It’s been in the game since the beginning, and MS/IG certainly had no issues adding the effects to their own characters for S2. Now, we have this purple cloud… thing. They look “poisoned”? Yeah, I agree, and it doesn’t look good, at all.

This reminds me of the character customization nonsense MS/IG did at the start of S2. There were no issues at all with the customization we had in S1. They were easy to view and apply, and they stuck and were saved with no problems. When S2 was released, they simply deleted what we had, and didn’t immediately replace it (because their version “wasn’t ready”, or something like that… where are the archived S2 forums?). When we finally received their new customization options (which is what we have now), we lost the ability to zoom in/out when viewing the characters. Also, all those item slots they gave us don’t hold lots of new accessories; they simply hold palette swaps of the accessories we already have. The original customization system, which was OK, had to be changed… for that? Really? All we wanted were more (unique) colors and accessories.

Every new announcement or change I see makes it more difficult for me to get excited for S3. I don’t care about the new characters. The new lighting effects aren’t that great, to me, and are even distracting in some areas. And why are they still silent about adding story to the S1 characters?

4 Likes

I would say that is extremely unlikely.
I own the seasonpass for Forza Motorsport 6. I am also a VIP in that game. Yet I have to pay for the recently released Porscheexpansion.

MS want their $$. Consumers get bashed for survivability.

My problem with your idea of the deflection window, @Infilament , is when the window is on the move, and we don’t really know that. Is it on startup? Is it late startup? Early active frames?

What I’m trying to say is that, if the window is early enough in the move, will Tusk just be able to press a button on wakeup because he has a deflection window on the start of his HP and can beat meaties by using that?

It seems pretty unlikely that deflect window is active from frame 1. In the videos you can clearly see there is some startup to each move before the white flash. How much startup exactly, I’m not sure, but I really doubt it’s going to beat meaties, and I think pressing a normal with 20+ frames of startup on your wakeup, hoping to deflect a move, is probably not gonna be a super good idea.

Hisako’s counter, on the other hand, is a fantastic reversal for beating predictable meaties or on-reaction punishes to almost anything that isn’t a projectile or throw. Shago goes above your head? Press high counter immediately and it always works. Doesn’t matter whether it’s crossup or not, whether he surged it or not, etc. That won’t work with Tusk’s stuff.

1 Like

It’s going to be fun, smacking around Tusks that think Deflection will save them. :smiling_imp:

It’s not active immediately on startup, and they vary in length by move, but the frames generally begin around… 1/3rd to 1/2 of the way through startup?

If you’re really in your opponent’s head and you know they’re going to throw a limb out as they close at a certain distance, you can gamble on it and be rewarded.

Like much of KI, even landing it once or twice in a match (aside from the ludicrous damage you can convert that into) will condition people out of their typical poke strategies and make them play your game instead.

6 Likes

That’s what we wanted to know thanks for the info Adam :smiley:

I can agree with this one, I don’t so much mind the new shadow aura effect, but I’m not keen on the character themselves turning a shade of purple. It is a bit distracting, but mostly goes against the reasoning we pick the colors that we do in the select screen. I pick blue Cinder because I like the blue flames, but that hint of purple would probably take away aesthetically pleasing blue, which is my reason for picking it. Even if it’s only temporary for the duration of a shadow move, it’s still something that bothers me.

Other than that and @Infilament 's reasoning on the matter, I can’t add much more at the moment.

2 Likes

Mr. Isgreen to close out the question, like always. Woo!

@TempusChaoti said there’s going to be a vampire. Hope he’s right. But the question is… how will they make it the best one in video game history?

1 Like

I have a question:

The FAQ for Windows 10 / PC says that in order to access “all my content” I need to log onto my Xbox once it is patched on March 29th. Once I’ve done this, all my content will be available for me on PC…

But I don’t have an Xbox. I purchased Season 1 and Season 2 because there were special deals and I wanted all the characters when PC version launched.

If I have never logged on to KI on Xbox one, and I don’t do it on March 29th… will my PC version not have the characters, costumes, etc, that I paid for?

I could always have someone with an Xbox One log in for me, but it seems counter-intuitive to have to do that.

Please advise, I would like to be prepared when the big day comes!!!

P.S. If anyone knows who this question could be directed to specifically, I would be much obliged.

2 Likes

@rukizzel can you shed any light on this?

1 Like

I second Pain’s question.

Kinda worries me. I have S1 (Thanks to Games with Gold) + Shago, but I don’t have Xbox.
I have an 8 years old cousin with an Xbox with KI, but I’ll need to wait until the weekend after launch. I don’t want to wait, just install the game and play :sob:

Edit: Obviously, I’m planning to buy S2 + S3 before it launches, I hope we can get a reduced price for owning S1 :grin:

1 Like

Hey guys, in regards to Arby’s ultra, was I the only one who couldn’t hear a significant portion of the notes due to the background sound effects?