Killer Instinct officially announced for EVO 2016!

So I guess you didn’t like that Sleep vs MyGod moment last year?

Apparently I was the only one who considered KI at EVO a foregone conclusion? :open_mouth:

Definitely excited about the news, but I was never too worried about it. While I didn’t think it would make a Sunday finals (and it didn’t), the fact that S3 was coming when it is made me pretty sure it’d make it. EVO seems to prioritize games with active installments or updates being made to it, and they like to have a variety of game types in there as well. It’s good for production to have a bunch of games with a variety of styles and flows, and KI is definitely not like anything else out there.

And happy USF4 is being put to rest as well. Kind of surprised how many people seem salty about it - the logistics of running another 1000+ man bracket for the tournament are a headache not worth going through, especially since Capcom has definitively put their support behind SFV.

What I didn’t like was the fact that MyGod gave into the crowd and went on the offensive, and lost because of it. I don’t like zoning/runaway generally, but considering he had all but won already, and the amount of damage Kan Ra can do with setups and recaptures, I think he should have stuck it out in the corner and either waited for Sleep to get close, or let the time run out.

Might be worth rewatching the footage closely. I don’t think this is quite what happened.

1 Like

I haven’t seen the matches since a rewatch in October or so, but I’m guessing you’ve watched the EVO archive more recently? Care to share your views so I can look for that on another rewatch?

From what I remember, he had Sleep in Danger or even as far as the magic pixel, and was sitting in the corner letting Sleep chip away at his full 2nd bar, and the time was short enough that Sleep couldn’t chip him out. The crowd didn’t like that Mygod was hanging back with Sabrewulf, and he eventually went on the attack, but ended up losing because of some really skilled offense from Sleep.

Well, Sleep built a full supply of meter with all of that chipping while MyGod was trying to impart his lesson. After that Sleep moved in, and my sense of it is that MyGod just downbacking is just giving Kan-Ra free reign to set up traps and grab him, with sand already underneath him for the recap. So I think MyGod tried to do something about it, had the tremendous bad luck of losing a succession of costly bets, and just like that Sleep clutched out a massive comeback.

1 Like

I’ll have to do a rewatch of that match at least, with this point of view. I think Sleep would’ve been SOL if Mygod had stayed in the corner, but again, I haven’t watched it in a few months.

Just rewatched. It’s a lot messier than I described, but I think it’s morally correct more-or-less. There’s some frantic decison-making towards the end, but there were also a lot of “scarabs next to Wulf and sand underneath him” situations, and similar awkward situations that you want to avert lest you get grabbed. Certainly I don’t think MyGod could’ve literally continued to downback through it.

When MrWizard announced Melee, my heart sank a bit. Not cause Smash was announced for Evo, but because Melee pretty much guaranteed Smash 4, and I thought it would also make USF4 a shoe in too, which would only make it harder for KI to be included.

I’m glad to see that I was WRONG!

I like this line up, and I’m even more hype for the venue changes. I really wanted to go last year but couldn’t make it…I’ve GOT to go this year.

My only gripe is that KI isn’t a Sunday game…but beggar can’t be choosers. KI is at Evo for another year, which only means the HYPE train is still going…

I’m with you on this take. Down+back is not a viable long term strategy against Kan-Ra, particularly not when he has meter. Kan has plenty of ways to quickly get on top of you with a nigh unreactable overhead, a half screen command grab, and long normals to catch you trying to jump out. He can set up a lot of duty at unpunishable ranges if you just give him the space to do so.

You can (and should) down+back against him in certain situations, but twenty seconds is a lot of time in KI, and a solid down+back gives Kan the space to set up all kind of nonsense. I thought Mygod lost it when he decided to use shadow eclipse instead of shadow leaping slash - I know why he did it, but the range and projectile invulnerability are far more useful to Wulf in that MU.

Soooo excited that KI is returning! though im surprised that pokken is there. Though I feel it will make Evo a little more interesting.

1 Like

I wish I was good enough to even compete, :c

Tell that to the skullgirls community.

Wow, Pokken’s on that list? That’s another game I’m gonna watch. I don’t even watch smash and I’m saying that.

1 Like

If only it was that easy to get there.

Save now do make it happen! In all honesty, with the right allocating of your funds anyone can do these trips with the right plan. It’s definitely doable.

Anyone have general information about EVO? Like dates, ticket prices, passes, and nearby hotels?

Not going to compete anytime soon, but just as an attendant, maybe someday I’ll be good enough.

Even if you have no intention of winning, if you’re planning on attending might as well sign up for the tournament. It increases entrant numbers which gives KI a better showing, plus who knows, you might make it farther than you think.

Fair enough, if I can just walk in sign up to play than I don’t mind. Still, I would need general info about it though lol

Last year, EVO’s weekend pass was something like $70-80 USD. If you wanted to compete in games, it was an extra $10 per game (or maybe it was $20 I forget).

EVO is July 15-17, 2016. They are expanding outside of hotels to the Las Vegas Convention Center this year, and the finals are being held in Mandalay Bay, which is a hugely impressive move for them. I think the official hotel is the Westgate, which they said was a 5 minute walk from the LVCC.

If you like fighting games at all, you should definitely go at least once in your life. This year might be one of the most fun, too, with SFV being the headliner (a brand new game where anything could happen), and of course KI making a return.