KI on Steam: Approve or Disapprove

Pretty much the internet in a nutshell minus the memes.

Yeah, Iā€™m a bit worried about this actually. The company that considers a 4K update for KI being ā€œfreeā€ for Xbox One X to be newsworthy would probably make ā€œwith crossplay!ā€ Part of the announcement. So Iā€™m a bit concerned that it wonā€™t happen.

1 Like

itā€™s been sooooo long since Iā€™ve felt any sense of ā€œwow, theyā€™ve really hit that 100%ā€. itā€™s always half assed this and half assed that. the only thing theyā€™ve really concentrated on are the characters. which is a great thing by the way. ultimately this game is just a garbled mess. the stand in announcer is horrible. the game hub hasnā€™t been updated since gold pack 3 launched. I can go on and on.

I wanna see all games available for all platforms with crossplay between every device possible within my lifetime. I mean, you can use an Android to call an iPhone, a PC to chat with a friend on a Mac. Why shouldnā€™t we be able to use an Xbone to play with a PS4 if we have the same game?

But I like to dream, and Iā€™m a patient dreamer. This is a good step towards the future.

1 Like

It seems like a strange move that people will make a lot of noise about in the short term, but which wonā€™t matter much in the long term if Street Fighter V sales on the platform are anything to go by. At least itā€™s good for PC gamers who stubbornly refuse to upgrade their OS, I guess?

Nevertheless, I donā€™t see why Iā€™d disapprove, aside from maybe being concerned about what this means for content creation ā€“ I think IG people are on record stating that the PC port diverted a lot of resources. But those resources (mainly staff effort really) donā€™t map one-to-one to the resources that would go into content creation/enhancement, and I did benefit from the PC version (I went out and built myself a Skylake/Pascal machine around that time, so PC is my main platform for KI), and the game is bursting at the seams with content as it stands, so that turned out okay. Thereā€™s even a slim chance that I might find some use for a Steam port. I do think Microsoft is extending one mighty large olive branch to a certain kind of gamer, but Iā€™m not here to audit Microsoftā€™s business decisions.

wrt crossplay, I think itā€™s all but guaranteed. Not only are Minecraft and Rocket League crossplay beyond the borders of Xbox Live, but Phil Spencer et al have made a point of emphasizing this opening of the gates as a company-wide policy. Iā€™ll be very surprised if Steam KI players are walled off from the Xbox Live matchmaking population.

2 Likes

Well, we are all speculating about crossplay on Steam, I suppose we can ask directly.

@TempusChaoti; @rukizzel; @developers - can you tell us if the Steam release will have crossplay with the Windows Store and Xbox One versions of the game?

2 Likes

Sfv has cross play , sfv is a ps4 exclusive . By that logic ki should be cross play

yet SF5 uses its own multiplayer infrastructure called CFN. KI on the other hand simply uses XBox Live. I donā€™t know if the comparison applies here but I sure hope so.

Not voting because itā€™s not obvious what the positives/negatives are yet.

If it has crossplay (and hopefully crosssave), I definitely approve. But I donā€™t think thatā€™s likely.
If it funds a Season 4 (and maybe beyond?), I approve though slightly less. Not sure how likely that is.
If it does none of the above but is free for existing owners, then Iā€™m neutral. This seems very unlikely.

If itā€™s just a cashgrab because KI is at End-Of-Life and they canā€™t help but squeeze a few more pennies out of it (see: Quantum Break and Halo Wars: DE), then I disapprove because ultimately itā€™s not doing anything for the existing community besides letting them buy the same product again and maybe letting them play with the few people who are interested in the game but hate the idea of Xbone/Windows 10/the Windows 10 Store.

FIghters on Steam sell well enough but the people playing them donā€™t stick around long, so if itā€™s not crossplay, the money isnā€™t being used for more content and itā€™s not free for existing owners, it might as well not exist imo.

whereā€™s the ā€œmehā€¦ā€ option?

Why would ANYONE disapprove of this? Where are the ā€œI hate game preservation?ā€ secret colonies?

1 Like

If someone thinks MS cares about extending KI lifespan, he is gullible.

Okay you gotta be joking with this one friend.

If Microsoft didnā€™t care about KIā€™s lifespan we wouldnā€™t be seeing new content nearly 4 years after release, we wouldnā€™t have gotten three seasons of content, a PC release that people begged for and then ANOTHER PC release because people didnā€™t think that was good enough. I mean @TempusChaoti who works directly for MS said on stage during the Eyedol reveal that they want to keep making KI as long as we want to keep playing it, by the very definition of his statement that means Microsoft does indeed care about the longevity of this game.

Seems to me like theyā€™re doing all they can to prolong the gameā€™s life cycle and keep us happy. If they didnā€™tā€™ care the game would have stopped a long time ago.

4 Likes

Just to aid everyoneā€™s sanity, there is a lot to cover in the coming months. We will be sharing more details as we go along, and will do what we can to answer each and every single one of your questions.

17 Likes

I approve, but only if Ki grows for all users, if mods hit KI, I would like the mods on xbox too. But the most important thing is to ensure a good online game, avoiding getting into playing with dirty cheats.

1 Like

At this point who would be against it?!?

1 Like

Sounds Promising!

I think obviously the move to port to Steam is great, if for no other reason that many people havenā€™t upgraded to Win10 and/or donā€™t trust the MS store (whether itā€™s a rational thing or not doesnā€™t really matter). Getting the game visible on the Steam top sellers list, or getting hype during Steam summer/winter sales, is no trivial thing.

However, because of all the questions people have about the port (are cross-play and cross-buy in effect? how will the DLC/pricing model work? etc etc), itā€™s actually very difficult to get excited for a Steam port.

I think MS should answer these questions very soon. If they put this information off to a later date, trickling out small details about the Steam version once a month until later this year, I think they are going to burn through a lot of goodwill and community excitement. A person who is excited about the Steam version today, but wants to know more, isnā€™t necessarily going to be excited to the same degree 3 months from now if they still donā€™t know very basic information about the product. Especially with yet another big FG release (Marvel) in that window of time.

Thereā€™s no particular reason MS should care about what I thinkā€¦ I am just a random consumer of their product, one of many. But I feel it necessary to warn them that their strategy of trickling mostly meaningless information about KI over the last 6-9 months has seen some of their loyal fan base become more than a little irritated with them. Even taking myself out of the picture, Iā€™ve seen it a lot across social media and in chats with friends, people who once really liked being excited about KI news becoming more and more jaded. Sitting on information about whether the Steam version is cross-play with the Xbox version for months at a time feels like a particularly bad move, and I hope they inform their potential customers about what they are getting while the iron is hot, not after people have stopped caring.

10 Likes

I trust you guys.

I actually donā€™t mind. I mean yes KI is an Xbox exclusive fighter in the sense that you canā€™t get it on PS4. Thatā€™s the only way that matters imho. Not to truely hate on Sony or anything but their accessibility efforts for those without sight have been, to say the least, extremely lacking. Letā€™s see where Steam takes KI.

1 Like