Kan-Ra setups

I actually think there’s a strength in that.

2 Likes

agreed. I like to bait with it.

1 Like

Usually you can’t get crossed up in the corner.

But you can use the projectile version of swarm to suck your opponent out of the corner.

I have to play around with that a little more but what I already found is this:

combo your opponent into the corner, clutch ender, swarm, wait until they get up and get hit by the swarm projectile, j.forward.HP.

Depending on your jump timing the j.HP will hit cross up or not. Very ambiguous.

EDIT: I double checked the setup and it’s really good. I have to give BEAT STAR credit for it because he caught me off guard with it in a mirror match. Although I am not sure whether he did it on purpose lol

EDIT 2: Okay, it’s getting better. You can also get your opponent out of the corner with j.MK.

So whenever you have your opponent in the corner you can jump in with j.MK and depending on timing, the opponent’s hitbox and on what your opponent does it will have a different outcome.

Here is a setup:
Wall splat ender, j.forward.MK

against Jago I had 4 different outcomes.
j.MK hits in front, Ra lands in front
j.MK hits in front, Ra lands behind
j.MK hits cross up, Ra lands in front
j.MK hits cross up, Ra lands behind

This needs further testing.

1 Like

I already said that whirl/tornado block strings are very good but nobody really uses them.

j.HK, St.MK, St.LK xx whirl (tornado hits), back+MP

This is such a good block string…you guys need to test it yourself. I gotta admit, that it’s risky to use the trap for a tornado in a close quarter block string, but you are at least +4 on block with it.

You can condition your opponents to eat your counter hits with mixing throws in the block string.
You can throw after the j.HK (just wait a few frames), after the tornado hits and after the last back+MP.

Let me explain a couple of scenarios

Let’s say you pressure your opponent with j.HK, throw. They will probably eat the throw and try to tech the next time. This is when you counter hit them with St.MK. The move is +5 on hit and comboes into St.LK (1 frame link). That’s a very hard link but it gets easy if you get the additional +frames because of a counter hit. Cancel the linked st.LK into whirl and you have a very easy hit confirm into a full combo.

Even if they don’t fall for the st.MK, this move is +2 on block. So they will eat a counter hit st.LK xx whirl into a full combo if they try to do anything.

If they just block the whole string you now get the second opportunity to throw after the whirl + tornado connect on block. You are heavily +on block here and the opponent has to guess whether you throw or frame trap with back+MP.

If you decided to go for back+MP you are now at least +1 block and you can continue your pressure.

During the whole block string you can cancel your normals into clutch for additional mix up opportunities of course.

2 last hints:

1. That block string does not work in the corner because the tornado will wiff
  2. Make sure you don’t charge the whirl
3 Likes

In instinct you can loop:
back+MP, st.LK xx whirl (tornado) until it ends. If your opponent decides to hit a button during that loop he or she get’s hit. Easy hit confirms too.

I think you can replace the back+MP with St.MK, which I like more, but that is hard to test, because training mode is horrible. The gab between tornado and St.MK looks very short at least. The cool thing here, is that you won’t even see the tornado. It’s like whirl is doing a weird delayed second hit, which pulls your opponent in.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work in the corner vs most characters.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but I think Ra’s Instinct frame advantage is even better than Jago’s or TJ’s. Why is nobody using it?
Am I correct @Infilament ?

1 Like

I also noticed this and I dont like it because CB.HP covers a very specific area and is 1 frame slower start up

St.MK, st.LK xx whirl (tornado) loop in instinct

This is a video to show you how good whirl/tornado is in instinct.

Tornado makes the whirl not only safe, but heavily + on block. I don’t have the exact frame data but you can counter hit throws and light attacks with st.MK (14 frame move !) which is +5 on hit and +2 on block.

In other words, if your opponent presses a button or tries to jump away you land a hit into a full combo.
The second part of the video is just to proof the concept…

3 Likes

setup into infinite true block string

The setup itself is hard to block. Depending on your timing and the opponent the j.MK will cross up or stay in front.
In case you cross up you now have the shadow spike as an assist.
The cr.MK xx l.swarm, spike loop is an infinite true block string.
What does that mean?
Your opponent can only escape by standing up and getting hit by cr.MK or by shadow countering.
He CAN NOT mash DP, activate Instinct, jump or dash back.

5 Likes

whirl frame trap block string and why it’s good:

That’s a very good block string.
j.HK = +14 on block (minimum)
st.MK = +2 on block AND +5 on hit (+6 or 7 on counter hit I guess)
st.LK xx whirl (tornado projectile) = +5 on block (minimum, can be way more with different spacing)
back+MP = +1
tick throw possible after j.HK, whirl (tornado) and back + MP

5 Likes

Awesome stuff! =D

Nice setups Hagen. Any one thinks the start up on his scrabs is too much.

I started learning kan ra and I noticed his scarabs do not act as projectiles, is that how they were intended to work.

I also noticed horizontal forward moves like jago windkick or fulgore dash blade complety destroy any scarabs on thier path. Is this how it has always been with scarabs ?
Jago players just windkick through my scarabs like it was not there. Also the startup for windkick is much lower than that of scarab. So someyimes the jago will wakeup from a knockdoen with a windkick and catch me during startup frames of scarab. I dont even like scarbs cause they kind off leave me negative and open

That’s a question for the general or match up threads. I’ll answer it over there.

1 Like

St.LK / Cr.LK / Cr.LP xx l.swarm can get interrupted by throws or light normals.

St.LP xx l.swarm can not.

Keep that in mind when mixing up swarm or clutch

I just realized, you don’t need the c.HK to be cancelable for it to work. The hard knock down is long enough so that you can do c.HK, l.swarm, dash and the l.swarm will still hit cross up.

Stupid me…

1 Like

A sequence I was working on.
Includes swarm dash cross ups, flipout into cross up shadow whirl and parts of the unbreakable combo.

5 Likes

Why is this char being slept on again?

1 Like

He is boring to play and will give u very salty gaming sessions cuz u will lose like crazy against stuff u could deal with if u had picked someone else

I agree minus the boring part

With cr.HK fixed I say Ra is a pretty good character.
Medium linker into cr.HK xx clutch/swarm reset mixups are soooo godlike.
Suddenly this character hits hard.

2 Likes
2 Likes