Kan-Ra Matchup Discussion

Yep, rushing Gargos down seems to work well.

Whenever he gets some space stay calm and just block his portal punshes. Wait until you get a bar and use shadow spike as soon as you leave block stun. Than get in

He is only a thread when he has minions on the field. His game plan is quite similar to Kan-Ra’s game

I’ve done the whole “Shadow Spike, then j.HK into air Scarab” tactic vs Gargos, and not even the really good ones know how to deal with it, other than to waste Instinct, and explode. The great thing about this shameless tactic is that you can mix it up with Clutch, or phish for a low and combo from it.

If Gargos does hit you with the portal punches, look for the one coming from the ground, that’s a Low. Eventually, they might want to mix it up, or force a CB situation, so look out for that. Here’s portal punching 101 real quick:

Light: punch from the ground (doesn’t actually hit low)
Mid: punch from the side
Heavy: Angled punch from above (doesn’t count as an Overhead though)

Not sure what the break timing is for Shadow Punches. I try my best to follow the hits and break accordingly.

I would only worry about minions if you’re getting ganged up in the corner, or if you’re sandwiched between them. Sacrifice helps, but as always you have to be sure it’s going to hit.

Do the minions count as projectiles?

The low punches do not hit low and the shadow punshes can be mashed

1 Like

Thanks… Changed the wording, I didn’t specify certain aspects of the portal punches… Yes, Shadow Punches do seem mashable.

1 Like

OP has been updated. Looking forward to more input as well. As always if there’s any erroneous info posted, please let me know, and I will change it. Thanks :thumbsup:

vs Mira

Don’t even bother doing setups. It will get you killed. She has an unlimited get out of jail card. This matchup is so stupid I am literally jumping around all day on her wakeup trying to catch her with j.HP’s huge hitbox.

@TheKeits please lol

vs Gargos

@JINXHAND do not get fooled by early gargos players. This MU is a 5-5 IMO. Whoever get’s on top of the other first has a great chance to win. Both have bad wake up and both have similar tools to lock each other down.
Just wanted to say that, but I don’t like this thread to become a general match up number discussion but a thread where we help each other with useful information. (my opinion on Mira wasn’t very useful neither)

In my experience, fighting Mira is like trying to catch a greased pig. You can’t just chase it all day and expect to nab it easily.

What I mean is for this MU, you have to allow her to fall into your attacks, rather than you force your attacks on her. She’s always going to have a means of escaping, and while it sucks, you just have to play the patient game moreso than any other character when fighting her. By doing this, you’re changing the pace of the game, and eventually you’ll make that player want to get “fancy” and attempt more unsafe attacks. j.HP and a few other attacks can get SC’ed easily, too. I’m only speaking from experience.

@lHagenl As for the Gargos MU, I don’t believe this is a 5-5 MU. You have better wake up options that Gargos. His means of escaping rushdown also sucks, considering it has tons of negative frames on block, whereas you have Sacrifice which works against Gargos even if he uses Instinct. Things only turn sour when Gargos summons his minions. Clutch also beats out alot of Gargos’ air tactics. Aside from that, just keep momentum for the duration of the match. I’m not looking at the new Gargos players when I say this. I’m talking about going up against those who are actually really good, as in they could enter a tournament with him and place top 16 good. I’ve fought several of them and did pretty well against them. I won most than I lost, but the point I’m getting at is, despite Gargos being a fairly new character, this MU definitely seems in favor of Kan this time around.

For the love of Gargos, please upload your matchup footage!! I think I can lern a lot from you.

Oh…and they nerfed Mira :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I go to record some matches last night, and because of the patch, the replays get wiped, so I’m left with nothing but General Raam matches, since I’m working on learning him.

I will work more on recording as I’m playing rather than recording the replays to prevent this from happening again.

Speaking of General Raam, how are you guys fairing out in this MU?

I haven’t played much lately, but IMO this is a very good MU for Ra. You have to mess up majorly to loose this. Raam has no mobility, so you can zone him all day. And stop his armor moves with Kan’s many multi-hitting moves.

1 Like

I agree. This seems like a favorable MU for Kan Ra. It’s just a matter of playing keep away and picking your spots to attack.

I think Kan Ra wins the raam matchup. One of the few mu’s you can play a trap spacing game. I think Gargos fairs better, gargos is a hard counter for raam

2 Likes

Any advise for the Gargos MU?

@JINXHAND ? Do you still think it’s in Ra’s favor? On paper Ra should win this, I know. But dem minions… they haunt me…

1 Like

I still believe that the Kan-Ra v Gargos is still in Kan’s favor until both minions are out. Even still, I’m convinced that Kan with meter can still put in work to deter Gargos’ “buffoonery”.

Kan’s standing and crouching mids can stop both the minions and Gargos if timed right. This MU imo is more based on timing in terms of dealing with knocking out the minion(s) and locking Gargos from mid-range just long enough to regain some type of momentum. In some cases it may require popping Instinct for the dash cancel and tornado projectiles, but they’re well-needed tools that can put Gargos in his place. Sacrifice also comes into play more often when Gargos attempts to overpower with minions and j.MP. Portal punches aren’t even a real threat, unless IG decides to make HP portal punch an overhead.

EDIT: Eyedol info added to OP.

vs Glacius:
When he is in instinct and the obvious liquidize/puddle teleport mixup is coming you can see on which side he appears.
normal liquid: in front
spiked liquid: cross up

vs Spinal
j.HK is a pretty good move vs him. It hits both sides, destroys projectiles and has a lot of active frames. Sometimes instead of mixing Spinal up on wakeup which is quite unsafe due to his teleport I just do j.HK. I also do several j.HKs in neutral just to send a message. “Don’t you dare trying those stupid teleports”.
When there is a Shrap on the field I switch to a delayed j.HP instead on his wake up. It also hits both sides

vs TJ Combo
You know he is going to roll. I know he is going to roll. He knows he is going to roll. We all know it because that’s what Combos do. So put out that back+MP and OS it into whirl. You just need active frames to catch him. And back+MP delivers

1 Like

You Glorious ■■■■■■■■. i learned so much from reading all of your replies and hell. The original post is KILLER! I love the Kan Ra Community. I love the Killer Instinct Community.
I will be adding a few new things in maybe a few hours. Gotta scour my mind for what you guys forgot.

1 Like

Sorry for the hiatus, but I’m back!!! I’ll try and update the OP as much as I can.

@admins Is there any way to make specific posts editable by multiple people (i.e. - “power users”)?

In the meantime, how have the current MUs changed since the most recent update?

I feel like the Mira-Kan MU has changed a bit. She can’t just use projectiles when Kan is in the corner when he has shadow. The Shadow Clutch helps a lot! Same with Omen and Spinal.

2 Likes

Alright guys, now that Kilgore is in the ring what can we do about it? his long range bullets are super quick so long ranged attacks are mostly going to be outdone, its normal damage (as well as everybody else’s) has got Kan-Ra’s beat, and can easily rush him down in Overheat Mode not to mention the rockets that can just be targeted anywhere to destroy Ra’s scarab shenanigans. Any strategies against this? I do know that the bullets don’t cause chip damage but hit so quick and can hit confirm that it doesn’t matter much and just stuff out Ra’s moves.

Kilgores coming bullets do no chip damage. Block them until you overheat then zone him out.