JagoBlake's outlook on Jago's 3.7 changes

Agree to differ. I have yet to see a player successfully defending against a TJ that knows how to be dirty, even the lower-level ones.

What’s your definition of “successfully defend”? Beat them in a match? Avoid every possible mixup (not really possible no matter what character you’re talking about)?

I’m pretty sure you’d have no trouble avoiding enough of TJ’s mixups to beat a low-level player in a match. It’s gonna be pretty hard avoiding level 3 X-factor Vergil (and not losing the round) no matter who you’re playing though.

Sadly, you’re mistaken. Even lower-level TJs aren’t concerned with opening me up.

I say “successfully defend” as in finding some trace of consistency in blocking/avoiding his grabs even if it’s not 100% of the time. It’s like against him, you just aren’t allowed to be defensive. That’s typically the case with command grab characters but that doesn’t mean they should have it easy with getting in (let me point you to Thunder as an example).

For some reason, the popular opinion is that TJ isn’t as quite as good in Season 3 as he was in Season 2 and that is just not true.

EDIT: We do seem to be getting off-topic here and I don’t want to attract the “TJ downplayers” any more than I probably already have, so if you’d like to continue discussing him, my inbox is open.

I think TJ is a good character too. But his command grab is 25 frames and interruptable when canceled off normals (there is OS timing for interrupting normals and not getting hit by immediate backfist or powerline; if you want to learn this timing, it might help you in the match).

Don’t really know what to say, I suppose. If you are losing to a lot of low-level TJs then you should maybe ask for help in the matchup (discuss with TJ players) or try TJ for yourself for a bit and see if you can identify weaknesses from the other side.

See the edit to my last message. I was a little late on it. :slight_smile:

There was certainly a lot of this when the season started. Those people were wrong (and for the most part, I think this sentiment is much less prevalent now).

But yeah, Jago 3.7 is still a dynamic character, and still strong as well. I wouldn’t personally have adjusted him the way they did, but it actually has been interesting seeing how Jago players are adapting to the extra effort required to get in. Ironically though, in some ways medium wind kick has become much more effective against me personally, since I’m not really looking for it all the time anymore :sweat_smile:

The only tj players that consistently open me up are devil hankhill and rebelo. Now I agree tj is strong in s3. It took me a bit to see that as well. Far as his command grab goes many characters can grab him out of it. Especially those with longer grab ranges such as fulgore Aganos etc. Most lower level tjs
like most lower level anyone’s don’t know how to properly set anything up.

Zero has mixups that are so good that he has mixups that not even his player knows how they will land :laughing:

Wulf has good conversion off his ■■■■ but Raam his normals are very exceptional for his archetype and I think in ki as a whole but that may be a bit of a strethch. Only button I can think he has that is in the okay cater gory is his cr.mk but that has range and spacing to abuse with and the guy AA’s like a god standing or crouching.

Against foes that establish zoning they do have issues but they each have some sort “moment of truth” schtick where if the enemy messes up at key points they can bum rush in and score a hit.

Been actively working with these Jago changes. Not totally amazing, but getting to the 100th mark in ranked against some horrid matches is a great feeling. I have maintained my windkick tendencies outside of endokuken and hit confirms. I rely more on a distanced roundhouse to get one leg block and heavy laser sword to bait its initial hit for a punish.

DPing still seems to be my main issue. I know it won’t work, but I guess I am just playing mind games at this point like full screen windkicks. Most times it fails (as you would imagine) but sometimes it actually lands.

Eyedol, Glacius, RAAM and Tusk are hard counters. Maybe no so much Tusk but not being able to punish whatever he throws at a mid-range makes it difficult.

It’s tough, but it’s a nice change of pace. Though I still miss medium windkick.