JagoBlake's outlook on Jago's 3.7 changes

That’s the issue though, getting up close. It’d be nice and dandy to use the move, but windkick is just not an option. I think some configuration with the distance of light would be nice. It would keep from abusing it but still be a good tool for moving in at a relatively reasonable range. It makes sense that Jago had it too easy getting in, but now it is just rough against zoners who abuse the range.

Play Raam or sabrewulf then talk about having it rough with zoners lol. Wind kick is still useful. But as a read based move. Jago still has a forward advancing 2 hitting normal that’s plus. Jago now simply has to be patient and walk a stronger zoner down. Which might take some getting use to after being able to abuse windkick for 3 years.

1 Like

His forward roundhouse? Easiest move to shadow counter though. I’ll admit I’m still getting used to windkick, it’s just an excruciating process closing the distance against zoners. At least with RAAM he has great normal range and Wulf has fast mobility.

It’ll take time and patience before I figure out my place.

@JagoBlake iam happy that a great pro player like you openly and indirectly reveal whats wrong and whats unbalanced in this game,

thats so true what you said there, if jago is now less brainded and yolo windkick " because its negative now" so why do all others characters still allowed to to do braind dead moves and still stay safe ? like " glacius coldshoulder" just for example.
i like it so much this thread.

IMO if they put all these characters with the same rules, i think peoples would play it this game like real professional .

Space it. The move can be made to hit Only once. And you’re still +2. Jago and Raam’s normal range aren’t that far off from each other.

2 Likes

Cold. Shoulder. Is. Not. Safe. Stop. It.

@SonicDolphin117

Go to Training Mode.

Pick Jago and Glacius.

When the match begins, set the Glacius AI to do Heavy Cold Shoulder.

Switch control back to Jago.

Block the Cold Shoulder at the furthest possible distance, then try to reversal with Shadow Wind Kick.

What should happen: Glacius blocks it and there is no punish.

Spaced Cold Shoulders are safe. Those that aren’t spaced are unsafe.

6 Likes

No longer a pro player, but thanks.

And ultimately, we’ll never know what happens if the rules for all characters were to be made completely equal. As one of the biggest appeals to fighting games is how differently each character plays, I doubt any designer would be eager to take such an approach. This has its strong points and weak points, so take it as you will.

4 Likes

I see where you’re coming from, but grappler characters are not supposed to have it easy when closing the distance (seriously, TJ Combo? Seriously?). And although Thunder has evolved to a character that functions as more than just a grappler, the fact he has a command grab still gives me reason to place him in that category.

Nevertheless, I suppose I can agree about the Ankle Slicer. It does cover more distance than Triplax and seems to be just as safe.

1 Like

TJ’s not really a grappler if you ask me. More of a rushdown character that has little trouble getting in but, because of his crap normals, has trouble holding space and controlling the pace of the match.

I know you said this

Eh, we can agree to disagree on that one.

Yes, we definitely can. Because TJ struggling to control the pace of the match? If anything, TJ players should be blessed.

They can speed it up. But they can’t slow it down.

I don’t know why people still say this. TJ’s normals aren’t best in class, but they’re nowhere near bad. Even before his TJ combinations this was true, and it’s even more true with their inclusion.

2 Likes

Becausec they’re negative. But tjs buttons are excellent for whiff punishing and him being able to cancel makes up for being negative. So they’re bad on paper but a different story in actual play.

i dunno if being minus on block is really enough to call a normal bad. if that were the case you could say that about a lot of characters’ normals.

Less about being negative, more about being hugely unsafe on whiff. I agree they’re not bad buttons, he’s got good reach and advantage when cancelling into feint, but they’re definitely risky if they don’t actually connect.

1 Like

TJ’s normals carry him forward an almost absurd amount, and the character clears horizontal space better than most (while powerline serves as its own deterrent on the opponent whiffing normals). There is literally almost no reason a TJ player should be whiffing normal strings o_O

2 Likes

If you’re whiffing buttons with TJ or you’re not cancelling his strings with Powerline, you deserve to get bopped. He has one of the most suffocating pressure games one can ever see in a fighting game, especially when you factor in his command grab.

Every time I see someone say he’s bad (not referring to any of you in here), it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

6 Likes

Right, they’re not going to be whiffing often. That’s why they’re good normals. I’m not actually disagreeing with you?

1 Like

In instinct it’s especially good. Outside instinct, I’d say it’s “pretty good” but… I dunno if “one of the most suffocating ever in a fighting game” is accurate. There’s some crazy stuff out there.

TJ really just is semi-reactable unsafe overhead with a few decent low buttons and a good (but punishable) command grab. Powerline helps with challenges but is also negative (or unsafe, depending on your char). Really, TJ’s pressure game boils down to one mixup that is pretty good but the end of his turn, and he doesn’t have any real left-right stuff so the mixups are limited to one side. Meanwhile, you have Zero in Marvel that can layer 4 or 5 multi-way mixups on you and STILL have frame advantage if you somehow blocked it all. Characters like Millia or Eddie in Guilty Gear kinda make TJ’s pressure look small time.