Is there any consistent way to do the Shoryuken Imput?

Most of the fighters that have a Shoryuken imput like Jago or Fulgore have another move with similar imputs. Is there a way to consistenly do it without the risk of doing the other move by accident?

Someone with a bit more FG knowledge than me might have a different opinion than me, but in my experience it just takes practice to learn the difference in how a DP (Dragon Punch/Shoryuken) and a standard fireball move feels. One way I’ve taught my kids to learn how to do it is go into practice and aim to get as many DPs in a row as you can, my oldest son especially; a lot of forum members have seen him in action. He’s got a pretty wicked Shago.

Also, believe it or not, a few good nights of sleep help. No, seriously, during REM sleep when the brain converts short-term memory into “muscle memory”. Put in a good deal of practice, then sleep on it, and it’ll help you retain what you worked on. And honestly, it’s just good advice on learning anything.

Unfortunately there’s no silver bullet on getting the moves down. It’s all a matter of recognizing the feel of it until pulling off a DP is just second nature. Someone else might be able to present the how-to with a different spin that may help you differentiate the feel from a fireball movement, but ultimately it just boils down to practice, practice, practice.

1 Like

I’ve started playing a char with a DP myself and have run into this problem. Was walking forward and immediately after tried to S Triplax through a fireball. Got S Sammamish instead and died. I’ve heard this described as “classic shoto problems”. I think the input system prioritizes the DP motion, so anything resembling that will take precedence.

A lot of the solution has been thinking “do nothing + QCF” instead of just QCF, which is easier said than done under pressure.

Honesty, I’ve been doing dps since SF2 so I’ve thought about it. :joy_cat:

numbers key:

6 = forward
2 = down
3 = down,forward

try to clean up your inputs, its all in the execution. DP in the numbers format its 623 (if you look at keypad on a keyboard). if you’re aiming for the hadou, you can also accidentally do the DP because you were probably on approach to the opponent, so the game read your forward input then you threw in QCF, only now it read the 23 of the 236 input (QCF).

so whats happening here is you’re doing 6236. confusing i know. so the DP input is in there (623) in its entirety thus killing you. under duress this can happen often especially when you’re shimmying on the opponent goin for spacing or positioning so youre hitting forward, and back and forward, so forth.

then you’re like ■■■■ it time to hadou, but out comes the DP and you eat a full punish because you hit forward, then went for the 236 immediately afterward. i hope this makes sense, just try to slow it down a bit, relax more during the battle. eventually you’re gonna speed it up and pull off DPs real easy and hadous, just hit the lab and practice. turn on the feature that reads your inputs and clean it up best you can. you’ll be alright

1 Like

One way to avoid accidental fireballs when you want DP is to use the input shortcut DP instead. This is very easy to do on stick, where you just slam the corners to get (using Stormrider’s notation 1313+P). Not really practical on pad though, and it’s still pretty possible to get accidental DP’s when you just want a fireball if you’re not careful with your inputs.

Overall, that care with you motions (and time/experience) is what will ultimately reduce your accidental inputs in both directions. Really is just something that you have to work on and that gets better the more you play.

I started toying around with Fulgore, and have been having this issue as well. The Mortal Kombat franchise does not have this input, moves like this are usually executed with a Down, Back motion, for example.

I am improving though, and it’s simply going to take time and practice.

For what it’s worth, the issue for me when I was learning DPs was that I was dragging the stick down from the forward tilt instead of letting it recenter more. If you manage to do that right away the rest of the input (the quarter circle-ish part) input is actually pretty lenient.

Also, I think the best and least stressful way to practice it during a match is on wakeup. When you’re knocked down in the corner, there’s nothing the opponent or another movement option can do to mess up the input and they’ll probably get hit in the face if you execute it successfully since you should be invincible the entire time and they’re not typically thinking about blocking anything.

Others have said everything of value. It’s really just practice. The more you do it the more consistent you will become. I won’t say I never accidentally do a DP while trying for a fireball or vice verse, but it’s not something I do a lot. I’m not especially clean in my inputs, but I’ve just been playing fighting games for a long time.

As has been said, try to consciously focus on a return to neutral in front of your fireball and focus on not going passed the DF (3) corner for your DP.

Not to sound like a broken record in regards to the other replies, but it’s like the old joke about “How do you get to Carnegie Hall?” - Practice. The only way I found to reliably pull off the motion (and I still miss it more frequently than I would like) is to just put it into practice mode and bust them out over and over. Don’t neglect one side over the other, too - you need to be able to pull them off from both left and right. If you find yourself getting frustrated or making mistakes, take a break and come back to it after a while. Consistency is the key, and you don’t want to form bad muscle memory. Bruce Lee said, “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” - be the guy that has practiced that Dragon Punch 10,000 times.

2 Likes

Following up with the other folks who’ve said “practice”, I think it might be helpful to define what constitutes useful practice. Lots of new players hear “use Practice Mode” or “go to the Lab”, but don’t really know how to use these modes effectively.

If you’re a new player (which I assume you to be @Valky115Qc), then you probably don’t want or need to spend huge amounts of time in practice mode. I recommend that someone starting out and worried about move-specific execution spend no more than 15 minutes maximum working on that move at a time. Ideally you should only spend about 10 minutes or less working on your shoryu inputs in any one session.

The method I recommend is this: practice the input until you can do 3 DP’s in a row, back to back, on each side. If you can get that within your 10 minute window, then try for 5 back-to-back DP’s in a row, but either way don’t extend past your 15 minute maximum. Go play some matches or get dinner or otherwise get on with your life. The next time you play KI, head to Practice again and do 5 DP’s back-to-back on each side; after you get it or after 10 minutes then hop into Ranked or vs AI or however you want to play the game. Rinse and repeat this practice strategy, upping the number of consecutive DP’s you’re aiming for as you become more comfortable with doing them.

The goal isn’t to spend precious hours of your life at a time cranking out DP’s - that’s both boring and not super effective. Instead, space out smaller sections of dedicated execution training, and then use those training “nuggets” to ease yourself into being able to use these things in matches. You’ll get to your “10,000 kicks” eventually, but breaking them down into smaller and more digestible segments is more useful than trying to binge on DP training.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for the help. Although I played this game for more than 3 Years and that I’m not really new, shoryken imputs have been my second worst nemesis next to Rash.

This post may have some conjuction with my asking for help to beat Rash since I heard DPs are one of the best way to get him off you.

I’ll try out your suggestions and love you all!

This community is great as always.

5 Likes