Iron Galaxy Would Definitely 'Consider' A New Killer Instinct ‼

I wasn’t “making stuff up”. You refuted the notion that the first drawing was what Riptor looked like. I, however, told you multiple times that this had always been the intended design, especially for a future KI.

So, you are suddenly the gatekeeper of the KI community now? I’ll tell you where I’ve been - I’ve been here since the game had been released back in 1994. Who the hell are you to tell me I’m not a fan? I’ve made drawings and sculptures based off of Riptor and Fulgore, still have the former in my basement to this day. When Double Helix had been working on the game, I’ve been keeping my eye on the forums. I joined in about late Season 1/early Season 2, when IG had been working on it. I used to go by the user name “Evolve”. The next thing I know, the site underwent a change, resulting in my not being able to access my own profile. Add to that both of my grandparents getting strokes multiple times before ultimately dying, one several years after the other, combined with very heavy university workloads and schedules, my getting surgery, I had to take a break from this, but I have always kept an eye on this site regardless. I wasn’t “banned” for anything.

Since the end of Season 3, I have been doing KI drawings and stories, because I happen to give a damn about this series and think more can be done with it. While Microsoft seems content to let it slide back into limbo, I have been trying to promote the KI section on Fanfiction.net, because I WANT more KI stories for that site, good ones especially. So tell me then, does this make me a KI fan or not? You have a lot of nerve saying that.

Not at all. But you’ve told me to educate myself several times and said “if you were a fan of the original you would know,” called me “junior” (:joy:) But I’ve been on this forum since the day it launched and on the previous one since before the game came out. I played the original when it came out in the arcades, and followed the game before its release. I’m sorry your life has been so tragic, but if you’re Uni workload is keeping you off the forums you probably weren’t there. Which is fine. But don’t tell me to educate myself about this great game called Killer Instinct that you’ve seen on YouTube.

If you think a generic snake man is a better design than a cybernetic dinosaur then that’s your business. You can write whatever you want in your fan fiction. But I wouldn’t mistake a bizarre obsessiveness with being a better fan (or having better judgment about design).

1 Like

Since we’re on the topic of the potential of Iron Galaxy returning to KI, I’ve been thinking A LOT about Double Helix recently.

I mean, I’d be really interesting in learning exactly what happened after their studio was bought out by Amazon, but just in case any of you were wondering what the status of DH is these days… most likely a dried out skeleton at this point, but less lively than Spinal.

‘Rivals of Aether’ creator unveils ‘genre-defining’ Aether Studios in Seattle - GeekWire

After all, the lead designer of Season 1 of KI is now throwing all of his weight behind the new 3D Rivals of Aether game. Good for him, and I wish him a ton of success on the new game- but I’ve always wondered how things could’ve been if Xbox bought Double Helix when they had a chance, or if Xbox could reassemble a new crew from the leftover bones of Double Helix to make a new permanent KI Team… (That’d be awesome!)

What do you guys think?

-Zenek

Amazon games studios, so far, is pretty much a disaster. I imagine there’s not much left of what we would recognize as DH.

Hopefully all the staff landed somewhere they like and are prospering. I heard something about Berserker Mike but I don’t remember what it was…

1 Like

I said to educate yourself twice.

I’ve been there. I was there when KIG666 was calling the game by DH a “Street Fighter 4 clone” and “generic ape$hit”, a sentiment I highly disagree with. I was there when some of his other butt buddies were making snide remarks about the game, a lot of them unwarranted, and when he and his buddies were bullying people for even liking the 2013 game.

OG Riptor was hardly a “generic snake man”. There have been extremely few snake/human hybrids in movies, video games and comics that have them, especially ones that look distinctively dinosaurian or raptor-like. The only creature that comes to mind that is both dinosaurian and snake-like is Vertigo from “Primal Rage”. If you can think of others even remotely like Riptor, though, feel free to tell me - I’d be interested in hearing about it.
Being a fan means appreciating what the creators did, using that passion and expressing it in various ways, be it through art or writing. There have been examples in the latter that aren’t great, admittedly, but that doesn’t represent the quality of fan writings as a whole. Funnily enough, there are some fanfics that are better written than what’s featured in the game, which feels very amateurish. What IG did to Riptor was disrespectful to the original character and creator - by taking away the snake aspect, they took the uniqueness away from her. Okay, fine, they want to make another raptor creature, then they could have made another character rather than call it “Riptor”. They could have just called it “Stalker” rather than have this nonsense of naming the leader “Riptor” (bloody stupid). The least one could hope for is something distinctive and good, if not great. Ideally they would want to stay true to the character. What they delivered, in comparison to the various raptors depicted in media, however, was neither of those. It wasn’t respectful. It disregarded and spat contemptuously on the original. Even worse, when compared to raptors in other media, comics, games, etc, it’s mediocre at best. In terms of judgment about art, my background is in art, thank you. While I don’t claim to be a “great” writer, let alone “good”, at least I respect the material and try to find ways to make it cohesive. KI2013’s biggest problem, story-wise, is that it’s extremely inconsistent and lacks cohesion, especially in its design. It has nuggets of brilliance, but a lot of the time its story is either half-baked or extremely underdeveloped, even poor at times, making it resemble really, REALLY bad fanfiction at its worst. DH’s approach was that this game was KI3, whereas IG’s was that this was a complete reboot of the first game, making it extremely confusing. If a new KI were to be developed, I’d want a more thought-out, well developed and cohesive story.

It’s definitely an interesting question worth pondering. I’ve also wondered how KI could have been had DH did all three seasons, or if IG had been there for Season One onward.

I’d LOVE it if DH came back to do another KI personally.

True, unfortunately. Whatever happened with that game “New World”? That seemed like a game with some promise.

Google tells me it’s releasing August 31. It’s an under explored setting but I have my doubts they are going to pull off anything good. I’m not really in the market for a PC only MMO at this point.

Touché. It’s shame what happened with DH and the state of Amazon. One would have thought that the latter would have been able to do wonders with such talented folks in their employ.

It wasn’t a jab, I just wanted to make it clear that it wasn’t knowledge I had at my fingertips. I haven’t followed the game.

As far as Amazon, I think the issue is that game development is a hard business. And it’s especially hard to break into. It seems like Amazon’s developments have failed less because they don’t have the talent and more because they are swinging for the fences. Instead of trying to make games, they want to release the next big e-sport. But there’s a lot of luck in what games “blow up” and a lot of power in being the incumbent. You aren’t going to just make a game (even a better game) and dethrone Fortnight. League of Legends isn’t huge because it’s the best designed MOBA of all time. But there have been many attempts to dethrone it and all have failed. Because that massive fan base isn’t just going to hop to a new game. It’s why SF will always be big in the FGC - even when SFV releases and people generally claim to not like it.

The point being, Amazon can’t just throw money at an esports environment and a esports game concept and make magic happen. They should have tried to release a series of less ambitious but high quality titles to establish some credibility, build a brand and a fan base among gamers, instead of trying to toss out an eSport and hope to hit the jackpot.

Oh definitely! Making games is a very hard business, undoubtedly. Personally I think they should have aimed low with smaller projects rather than go for something like e-sports off the bat, maybe gradually build up their portfolio before moving onto bigger and more ambitious projects. I kind of thought they would have done a horror game or something given how popular a lot of those tend to be. Admittedly, I’m a little disappointed “Breakaway” was cancelled - I don’t know, I like the idea of it with this bat$hit insane game of basketball with all these historical figures, guns and traps.

@BigBadAndy and @Evolution chill guys, its okay to have an opinion
As a Riptor fan myself I love the classic design as much as the new one.

The same way that I can appreciate Reptile’s classic, MKDA and MKX designs which I think are the best.

On one hand I do love the snake features that were added sense it is basically a combination of my two favorite animals of all. The Raptor and the Cobra (because of the hood)

While I welcomed the cybernetic enhancements for Riptor she was still mostly organic and while the tail was slightly off for me at the time it grew on me. I saw no flaws in each design and both do still do a good job in telling me about her story.

Sure some will say the old design is out of date, but hey those were top notch graphics in their day.

Any nitpicks I had for the new design, are gone, and I can see why they had to use the cybernetics sense they wanted to add some realism to the design but not push that realism to the point were it would make her impossible to exist.

Overall, i love Riptor, I love her designs and that’s my opinion. You both could say you love both

Is there a drawing of this riptor design? I’d like to know.

The point is like both versions of her equally and they each tell her story in a unique way.

2 Likes

Kev Bayliss drew this back in 2013, I believe just slightly before DH’s announcement at E3 with KI.

Ah, well yeah, I think it would’ve been for the KI they wre talking about. Its still a cool design and who knows. They may even make this one an alt skin for Riptor if she makes it in the new KI game (if that game gets announced)

Here’s hoping. I’d LOVE to see this make its way into a future game - it’s just too cool.

I do remember this. this was before KI 2013 was released. Back then Riptor hadn’t been announced yet.

I guess if Killer Instinct is done at all, then Iron Galaxy would be a logical choice. I think we are all apprehensive about Killer Instinct getting the right treatment and capturing the essence. I do wish Double Helix was able to carry the game through development, I believe their vision is still what flew the project so high. I definitely felt some awkwardness when Iron Galaxy was making the content from scratch to match up with Double Helix’ vision. I think we were lucky to have it work out, even though it wasn’t exactly smooth sailing. I wish Microsoft gave a ■■■■ enough to properly budget the project and make an actual in-house dev team (KI Team). Why not hire the best talents and “Avengers Assemble” when it’s time to make the game? Idk, business sucks.

2 Likes

Definitely.

My guess is because at the end of the day, fighting games are still a niche market for games and while we’re all into it, the majority of gamers are not.

So Microsoft is going to invest their money and development into franchises and genres that will pay back big returns.

Considering that Killer Instinct was actually an Xbox LIVE Arcade title, it did really, really well.

I’d love to see a new KI, but in the hands of a new company. DH did a great job, a lot of what made KI so much fun was in their core design. While IG did a good job, for me I didn’t like a lot of the decisions and direction of S2 and S3. Especially with how new characters were added with all new ridiculous stuff and the characters that came before were just tweaked, when they needed a lot more to compete.

3 Likes

Same here.