Iron Galaxy Would Definitely 'Consider' A New Killer Instinct ‼

I don’t know what to tell you. If you think the KI1 designs are better than the KI2013 designs I don’t have anything to add except “nope.”

2 Likes

Some of the designs such as Maya, Eyedol, Glacius, Spinal and Fulgore are fantastic updates of their original designs. Sabrewulf, Jago and Orchid are also good in terms of their respective stories. Kim Wu and Tusk are pretty good. Cinder’s is…okay. Riptor, TJ and Gargos, though? Extremely generic and disappointing. Those three could have been SOOO much better.

I can see why you might not like some of them. But the designs you picked as poor designs are objectively better designs than the originals they are based on. Cinder was as generic a fire man as you could have. The new design is infinitely more individual. The original Gargos is unbelievably generic. You can dislike the new one (I do) but it has tons of character and a unique look and feel. This carries over to the fighting style and moves - which all make sense with the design.

1 Like

Not really. TJ’s was generic as hell, like Balrog but even more boring. This was a guy who wore the American flag for a shirt and was this larger than life boxer who won a championship for 20 years, and the best they could do was make a blech version of Balrog? Even more, his design doesn’t make sense - nothing in his story suggested that he became involved with MMA, and yet here he’s wearing MMA apparel. I get the guy’s trying to redeem himself, but come on! This was the flashiest and most over the top character in the original KI games, and this was the best IG could do? I like the scars on his arms, the glowing veins and the goatee, but other than that? What a waste.
The new Gargos isn’t even any better - that’s even more generic, worse than his original design, like one of those goblins from the recent Snow White movie. I mean, this was a being that was supposed to be the Tiger Spirit, this Lovecraftian entity of terrifying proportions - you’d think those aspects would influence his design. Even the design in the comic, as generic as it was, was kind of better since it looked like a Tarkatan had a baby with a Shokan. On the other hand, though, the comic kind of does allude to the idea of Gargos having multiple forms.
Cinder’s is okay. I like the idea of the containment suit, and the grid lines do look better on him, plus I like the jack-o’-lantern face underneath his mask, but the movable fish lips aren’t exactly doing him any favors. The mask should have remained featureless like the original. Even if IG wanted to give him a mouth, they should have done it in a way that made sense - it’s a mask made of rock/metal. It’s sort of like giving Fulgore lips - it’s stupid. In terms of Cinder as whole, he should have been a visual spectacle like Jago’s fireball or Glacius, with perhaps more tell-tale signs (eg more transparency or layering showing his inner organs/skeleton like Glacius’ design, those strange glyph symbols that shimmer along Glacius’ “skin”/shell, etc) but as he is? He’s just…okay.

Riptor’s though? Definitely not better, not by any stretch of the imagination. I’ve seen various cyber raptors that were done waaaaaaay better, including some concept art by JP artists that intended on having cyber-raptors for a JP4. The original Riptor had really unique features that made her distinct such as her snake-like look with four scythe-like claws on each foot rather than the one like on a typical raptor, but here she’s just the JP3 raptor/Talon but even less interesting and scary. Also goofier with the oversized teeth - it looks more like a dork lizard than this intimidating bioweapon. And don’t get me started on her stage and music - there’s no way anyone can say the Bloody Arena and its theme is inferior to what we got now. I do admittedly like the idea of her getting cybernetics, but they could have done sooooo much more than just paint her toe nails blue, give her Dinobot’s spinning tail and grid marks on her sides. And the explanation of flame injectors? Give me a break. At least it made sense with the original Riptor (it’s a snake-like creature that spat venom).

Since I can’t relate to a single thing you’ve said, it’s probably best if we just agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Probably. As a fan of KI1, the game that got me into the series in the first place, though, the designs for those four characters are in no way superior to the originals, not even Riptor’s current design, theme and stage. That version is like the 1998 Zilla, a Riptor In Name Only.

I’m not going to go fighter by fighter (especially since I ESPECIALLY enjoy Riptor’s new design), but I believe that the idea to make Gargos an overtly demonic villain was brilliant on multiple levels.

Shadow Lords was beautifully designed around an apocalyptic end of the world scenario (With lots of inspiration from the Bible as well,) and what better of a uniting force than a literal demon whose entire goal is to enslave and torture humanity forever? No one sympathizes with Gargos, no one feels bad for Gargos, he is purely a force of evil, and the KI lore team did an fantastic job of making Gargos a horrifying force that we all loved to hate.

Lack of story? Nah. We had terrifying events happening all over the world ranging from mutating animals to self-cannibalism, and that was in the days leading up to Gargos’ arrival. Whether you are a lifelong hero, insane skeleton dude, or soulless machine, everyone with a fraction of intelligence would fight against demonic subjugation of our planet, and I’m grateful that Gargos was made to look the part of a grotesque, vile, arrogant demon in that respect.

-Zenek

1 Like

Other religions and cultures had apocalyptic scenarios and demonic figures as well that could have provided a basis for Gargos. I pointed out his being Jago’s Tiger Spirit along with Lovecraft, whose monstrosities are towering nightmarish beings who are so alien that merely gazing on them can drive people insane, and yet IG chooses one of most contrived Judeo-Christian medieval demon designs out there. It’s not even that scary or intimidating.
They could have also used the descriptions of angels from the bible:

I don’t recall mutating animals or self-cannibalism in SL. I remember Omen was given the option of feeding a wolf some of his energy, but this has the effect of killing it and in its heart becoming an item if I recall correctly.

Good grief. His name is “Gargos” because the KI2 design is generic gargoyle. The new design is far more creative and interesting than the original. It’s not close. As far as turning him into an a Lovecraftian monster, how much can they change him before people complain that they don’t respect the source material? If you love the originals so much you can’t say the new designs are terrible because they are too similar. Lol. C’mon man.

“I don’t like it” or “I think it should have been done differently” is not “bad design.” Why do so many people fail to understand this? It’s fine if you don’t like it. But when you start impugning the designers, the choices of the design team and the effort they put into it you cross a line. Any keyboard warrior can write “Do a design that is so terrifying just looking at it makes you insane.” :roll_eyes:

I fixed this for you.

2 Likes

No they are not, especially not Riptor’s. Riptor’s had a tail that hung over its body like a scorpion, a head like a snake and four scyth-like claws on each foot unlike the typical raptor that only has the one. She had very humanoid proportions and frame. The 2013 version is very different, with a much bigger head and comically oversized teeth, with blue painted claws and crap grid lines. As a Riptor fan, to say this is similar is insulting. The original Riptor was seven feet tall, but this version is only five or six feet. And don’t get me started on her roar, theme and stage - OG Riptor beats wispy-sounding RINO every day in every department.
In terms of Gargos, they already alluded to him being such in the first place, but the notion that the new design is better is ridiculous - it isn’t. It’s worse and a lot more generic. It is neither intimidating nor scary, especially as final bosses go.
TJ’s is slightly similar to his KI1 appearance, but again, the color choices are so bland and boring. Like Balrog but even more boring. At least in the originals he wore the American flag for a shirt and looked more interesting. I also pointed out the fact that his MMA gear has NEVER been addressed in his story at all.

That is true, but it doesn’t help matters if the resulting product is a derivative mediocre design that borrows from other more memorable characters in terms of their design and gameplay. If you took this Gargos and compared him to every demonic character out there, be it from television, video games, movies, comic books, etc he would NOT be in the top 3, let alone the top 10. Not even on a list of the best designs for Satan. It’s just frustratingly mediocre, below average honestly. The same goes for TJ and Riptor as well.

You made a mistake, friend. Don’t worry, I fixed it for you.

I only impugn the designers when the work they have done is not up to par, and in comparison to DH’s work, IG’s is definitely inferior. I will gladly applaud them for picking up the slack after DH had been bought out and for their improved animations over time. I applaud their work with Aganos and Hisako. I will also applaud them for the redesigns of Tusk, Kim Wu and Maya, who were the least interesting characters in KI2. I will also applaud what they’ve done with regards to Eyedol, who looks fantastic. However, when it comes to Gargos, TJ, Riptor, ARIA, some of the animations for those latter two along with Maya’s, their work was not good.

Yes. A long skinny useless tail that hangs over the shoulder of your Sleestak Riptor is “better design” than a cyborg raptor tail. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

At least it was distinctive in sound and design, unlike the pathetically wispy-sounding generic joke that IG made. It’s like taking Toho’s Godzilla, stripping away everything that made it unique and taking a dump all over it like in the case of GINO. Even if OG Riptor had been based unmistakably off of the JP raptors, it had distinctive elements that made it stand out, especially compared to this joke of a design. Funny you mention the sleestak, as the new design has more in common with that than the old one, especially with the goofy oversized head. I do like the idea of a cybernetic tail for Riptor, but what was done was so generic. There could have been more visually interesting stuff that could have been done with the cybernetics than just simply painting her toe nails blue, gridlines and plates. Give me a break.

This is Riptor:

Not this pathetic excuse:

THIS is RINO, not Riptor.

Amen to that.

Lol. That top drawing isn’t even what the Riptor in the first game looked like. Whatever dude. If you think that’s better that’s fine. You’re just wrong.

2 Likes

That first drawing was the design the original artist Kev Bayliss had intended, especially for Riptor were she to appear in a future game, and if you were a fan of the original games, you’d have known that the original Riptor always had snake-like features. It is you who is wrong, friend. Don’t believe me? Why don’t you watch Kev Bayliss’ video on YouTube and better educate yourself next time before you start lecturing me about being wrong, junior.

I played the original game plenty. I know what Riptor looked like. That wasn’t it. The original design was terrible.

Edit: when did I say the original design didn’t have snake like features? What are you even talking about?

1 Like

Again, educate yourself and watch Kev Bayliss’ video. That design was Kev Bayliss’ intended design for a future KI.
If you look carefully at its head even in the original, it has snake-like features. It spat venom and in its ultimate its neck would form a hood like a cobras. Also the forked tongue, like a snake.

The snake aspect has been an intentional feature, even going back to his original concept art.

I never said the original design didn’t have snake like features. Man, you’re nuts.

I played the game. I don’t need to “educate myself.” I played it. I owned the SNES version. I have the game in my Xbox right now genius. Man, you’re something. And I’m 44. Junior. Rotfl.

What is it about this game that there’s always some lunatic who thinks they are the steward of the original and no one else understands it properly. The new Riptor is 10x the design of the original.

1 Like

That had been written before you edited.

LOL So we’re slinging insults now?

Only perhaps back in the 1990s, where there were fewer raptor-based characters. In 2020? Give me a break. Compared to the various raptor-based characters in comics, video games, cartoons and movies, it’s mediocre. Well, below mediocre with the oversized head and teeth. The cybernetics alone are a joke.

And what is it about the 2013 game that every piece of mediocrity by IG has to be defended by a self-appointed white knight? They’ve done things well, but again, Riptor, TJ, Gargos, various animations and the Ultimates are subpar crap that are not defendable.

LOL Hardly. Especially not compared to the current joke of a design.

Never, not once did I say the original didn’t have a snake like design. Nothing about my edits changed that. You’re just making stuff up. It’s not slinging insults to point out that it’s crazy to fabricate things and pretend that someone is saying them. That’s nuts.

So, captain killer instinct fan, where were you between Nov. 2013 and Dec. 2020 (edit: sorry, october 2020) when you joined the forum? Either your not really a fan or else you are one of the maniacs who got kicked off and you’re back under a new name.

1 Like