If IG said "No more KI", how would you react?

I’d be disappointed at first, but I also would say KI had a good run if it does stop being developed. All I can do is wait for a future release of this game in the future or support a new one.

Even though I’ve only owned an Xbox One for just under 2 years, KI was a big part of my time with it and was one of the reasons I started caring about fighting games again. With that said however, I wouldn’t be upset if KI just ended as I feel it had a great run for several years running. If the devs feel they are done and want to move on then I have no problem with it, best of luck on their future projects.

Best response.
Video it though.
Also I’d be sad to not have the only fighter I’ve put consistent effort into for years and would probably feel like I was missing something I really enjoyed on a deeper level than most fighters in recent years.

I’d likely find something much calmer to play though, considering KI is the only thing I touch these days that isn’t single player. I’m not sure I could go back to sfv’s helium chested ladies after being able to use KI’S boss arse beeches for a while, either.

1 Like

“Thanks for all the fun, please don’t let the franchise hibernate again.”

1 Like

Quite frankly I’d be upset that they would have never addressed the inconsistencies in this game such as stages, ultimates, colors for all and so forth. I know that if this were to be the case that it would be a legitimate reason for people to criticize the game harshly, calling it unfinished etc. and harping on the game for not every character having a retro, multiple accessories, ultimates, and a stage tailored to the character like in seasons 1 and 2. The worst part would be having to admit that it’s true and a genuine flaw in the game… though of course I like to stay optimistic and think that this is the worst case scenario and that all will be well in the future, and we’re just in a quiet time, much like the period just after season 3 ended.

This:

It was from the XB1 framerate drop thread.

…I think I was a bit off when I said “4K conversion”:confused:

Honestly, I’m surprised IG hasn’t come out and said just that, seeing as we’re pretty much done here. We have gotten everything they promised us (except the last five Crimson Guardians, still waiting on those, unless they added them to the game without telling us like the last two gold skins). If they are planning anything else, cool, but the silence is not helping the optimism department.

My reaction though? Nothing different then how I’ve felt in the past year. I’ll still keep playing and still keep enjoying this game. I love Killer Instinct. Always have ever since I first played the original back on SNES, and probably always will. It’s always been my favorite fighting game franchise, and if this version is done getting new content, then so be it. Really wish we could have had a community fund raiser or something for the rest of the Ultimates, but I’m grateful for what we got and I wouldn’t be too sore over it. This game has been everything I’ve ever dreamt of when I imagined a “Killer Instinct 3” several years ago. Iron Galaxy has been incredible as a developer, the original cast coming back and being updated was cool, the new characters have been interesting, Mick Gordan, Celldweller and Atlas Plug rocked the music and the netcode is so good it can even handle my terrible internet without problems so I can actually enjoy multiplayer (well, as much as someone like me who doesn’t do well with online fighting games can, lol). All in all, my reaction would be: Well done, IG. Thanks for making a lot of KI fans who never thought we’d see KI rise again like me happy.

I just hope that Killer Instinct doesn’t get put on the shelf for another 10+ years and that if we do get a sequel, that MS actually shows this game the care that IG and a lot of the fans did, and puts the complete AAA backing to this so that we don’t have any more budget issues that lead to the stages, terror skins and Ultimates being scrapped.

1 Like

No Problem. I’d just keep playing the Current version of the Game. Its not like Street Fighter is going to beat it any time soon… you know how complacent Capcom has become.

I think they did an incredible job, and hope that they would still support the game.

Regardless, I’d continue playing it and continue to try to build a local scene in my area! This game is super fun! I still have some mu’s i wanna get down with my main Aganos, and I’m slowly scratching the surface of the super fun-to-play Kilgore! This is pretty much the only game I need for years to come. It’s just that great.

I’m absolutely fine with the graphics, so I dont care at all for AAA upgraded engine for graphics. I think this version looks great! Imo all fighting games kinda have similar graphics as far as characters, and the only details that you may be like “wow” about are the stage background details, and maybe faces/facial expressions, hair, etc. But I mean when characters are quickly moving as they throw hands, feet, swords, fireballs, etc., it doesnt matter to me how smooth the hair flows in the wind lol. I’m in it to for the fast-paced thinking that fighting gameplay brings, and this version of KI really really does it for quite well for me. I’m set!

I do, however, wish they came out with some way we can get ultimates for everyone and a few more stage ultras. (s1 stages I’m looking at you! :D) Maybe a “Killer Edition” or “Elite Edition” or whatever they name they see fit! I’d support that 200%.

2 Likes

i’d just be thankful for four years of continued support on one of my favourite games. We always knew it would have to come to an end at some point.
Sure i would have preferred a season 4 or at least one more substantial content drop but i’m more than happy with the game i’m left with.

Props to Microsoft, Double Helix and Iron Galaxy, Much appreciated :heart:

Still my most played game in 2017 and every other year since release.

4 Likes

The 4k conversion bit was what confused me, since the game assets already existed in 4k. But you’re point as a whole is clearly right. It’s not a great sign if the team that developed 2/3 of the game isn’t the one patching it.

Yeah, that’s a pretty clear indicator that the game is not going to see significant additional changes.

As an aside, I’m sure some accountant at MS is thrilled with this philosophy of just contracting out all the internal game development work. But it feels to me like it’s hurting the coherence if their development process…

2 Likes

Honestly, I think this iteration of KI was mostly finished anyway. Other than bug fixes, I really can’t see them doing much more with it. I certainly don’t want them to “tweak” the cast again.

If anything, I’d like a new KI more than another season to tack on to this one.

3 Likes

I’d be both a bit disappointed and glad. Glad that they’re working on projects that they like and disappointed in that KI will be on the back burner for some time, but hey it’s not like we’d go another 20 years without any KI related content or anything. Anyway it really wouldn’t affect me personally since I’ll still play this KI for years to come with or without dev support.

1 Like

I have two hopes regarding this KI:

1.Enable ranked crossplay.

2.That in few years it will become underrated classic like 3rd Strike.

4 Likes

I’d be perfectly fine with MS retiring Killer Instinct. They resurrected a classic property, then consistently treated it like crap throughout its development. It never got the resources or attention it really needed to become a great game. From the very beginning, the seasonal style of content made it feel like you were always waiting for something. And the bugs! OMG the bugs! Still to this day, the game is riddled with them. Two new bugs for every one that gets fixed is just unacceptable. Then they went extremely cheap with a feature that a lot of people wanted (ultimates), leaving many disappointed. And to add insult to injury, they didn’t even give one to every character. For me, that was the first indication that MS was done with this game. They gave up, so I gave up.

I’m definitely part of the nostalgia group, and Killer Instinct never became the game I envisioned it would be. I say let it die. They tried, but ultimately (pun absolutely intended) failed for me.

I honestly figure KI3 will have a reaction similar to what Halo Reach has had. While it was new it was popular to bash it as hot garbage. Once Halo 4 & 5 showed up many people donned their nostalgia goggles and started declaring it as being one of the better Halo games.

2 Likes

What’s funny is the same is happening to H4.

1 Like

Lol I’m not surprised.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot:

3.Fix Eagle bug already.

1 Like

Both Halo Reach and Halo 4 were good games (although 4’s multiplayer never really grabbed me). Reach is my favorite Halo hands down. And it was actually received quite well on release - it wasn’t until later in its life that people started whining about it.