Ideas for mechanics for a possible Tag Mode in the future

So I’m starting a thread to throw around ideas for a Tag Mode in KI. I would like hear everyone else’s ideas and for you guys to give feedback.

So me first…

Tag Mode could work well in KI. I think tagging should be based on Meter I think every move that involves your tag partner should be based on the LP + LK buttons.

• Tap Down + LP + LK = Tag assist. This is when your tag partner and comes in to do one of there special moves and jumps back out immediately afterwards. For example Omen can come in and do his Heavy fire ball or Orchid can come in and throw a grenade.

• Hold Down + LP + LK = Raw Tag. The same moves and animations that are in Tag Assist is performed, however you tag partners stays in for the action and the char who called the tag drops out.

• in mid combo QCF + LP + LK = Shadow Tag Linker*. Your Tag Partner performs a Shadow Linker. Holding LP + LK makes your tag partner continue the combo.

• in mid combo QCB + LP + LK = Shadow Tag Ender*. Your Tag Partner Performs a Shadow Ender. Holding LP + LK makes your tag partner continue the match.

• When in a Block String LP + LK = Shadow Tag Counter.* You Shadow Counter with your Tag Partner’s shadow move.

Also the double and triple ultras would be super creative! Ultra -> Instinct cancel -> Shadow Tag Linker -> Ultra

The devs, I believe, have said that they will not use half-circle rotational inputs…

Your right. I meant QCF.

Some characters already use QCF+LP/LK and QCB+LP/LK.

But they don’t use it in mid combo.

Kim Wu does. :wink:

PS - updated my last post.

Kim Wu uses a QCF in mid combo? What is the move?

You’re replying too quickly before I can edit my posts! Re-read them please. :expressionless:

She uses QCB+LP/LK to do her command grab “flipover” linker.

1 Like

hmm that would be a problem. But it would be easily fixed by changing her inputs to QCB + MP + MK.

It’s not a command grab. You can tech it.

Ah cool. So my suggestion would still work without changing anything.

1 Like

Command grabs, aren’t necessarily defined by whether they’re techable or not, just that they’re not considered “regular” or “normal” throws (in that it simply has a different input other than LP+LK). :wink:

For example, you can tech Aganos’ peacemaker throw (the 1 where he throws you up into the air and hits you with it, not the 1 where he throws the actual club) or Kim Wu’s flipover linker, but neither Hisako’s posession or influence, and yet they’re all still considered command grabs. :slight_smile:

Regular grab has one input. Command grab has several because it’s a special move. Command grab aren’t grabs. They are unblockable throws. You can’t use the term interchangeable. By your definition thunders back throw is a command grab. Which is not. Is a regular grab. There are plenty of regular grabs with one input. A command grab is a SPECIAL MOVE. A regular grab is not. Just because you have to “input” a command (for example: Kim wu QCB LP+LK) does not qualify it as a command grab. I know, by definition, the word “command” in our discussion means “inputing more buttons to get a unique move”. However, in FGC terms, we don’t use that literal approach. I can’t say you’re wrong, but again, the FGC doesn’t use that term to describe a difference in input.

I’d like for teammates to share things. Like if you put up some walls with Aganos, they’ll stay up when he’s tagged out or Orchids firecats, Shago’s shadow drain, Rash’s Bike, Cinders bombs… Ect

[quote=“DulXboxOne, post:13, topic:10372, full:true”]
Regular grab has one input. Command grab has several because it’s a special move. Command grab aren’t grabs. They are unblockable throws. You can’t use the term interchangeable. By your definition thunders back throw is a command grab. Which is not. Is a regular grab. There are plenty of regular grabs with one input. A command grab is a SPECIAL MOVE. A regular grab is not. [/quote]

The ONLY part above, to me, that seems correct is that you say command grabs are special moves, which is something I already know and never disputed. That being said, EVERY throw/grab is unblockable, regular and command throws alike - that’s the nature of throws/grabs in almost every fighting game to date. Also, there IS a reason why I didn’t mention Thunder’s reverse throw as an example of a command grab - that’s because I KNOW it’s a regular throw and not a command grab (it’s a typical back-throw, b+LP+LK, that still counts as a normal throw); it just happens to be a regular throw with special properties (in that it can be used mid-combo), similar to how air throws work, in that even though they have special properties, they’re still considered normal throws.

Also, speaking of which, by your logic, air throws would be command grabs, since they’re not techable - but they’re not. They’re simply regular throws with special properties that can’t be teched because of said special properties (that is, being in the air). You merely need to look at a character’s command list to see where a regular throw vs. a command grab is listed to prove my point - everything that I’ve mentioned as a regular throw is listed under command attacks (don’t let the name fool you) whereas command grabs are listed under special moves.

I know I am right in this case. If you still don’t think so, you’re more than welcome to ask the resident expert, @Infilament or even @TheKeits. :wink:

Interestingly enough, upon further inspection, Kim Wu’s linking grab is neither a normal throw or a command grab - it’s a special move that is also a combat trait. Even more interesting is the fact that Thunder’s back throw, as I’ve said, is a regular throw (and not a command grab) that is also a combat trait, similar to Kim Wu’s linking grab, but unlike Kim Wu’s linking grab, is NOT considered a special move at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Furthermore, I did find out that Aganos’ throw with peacemaker is indeed untechable - it actually says it in the command list, so that, at least, clarifies that for me, and I admit to being wrong there. :slight_smile:

Finally, you’ll be happy to hear that, as far as I can tell, I was also wrong about certain command grabs being techable.