I think I know what I don't like about KI

As a player of musical instruments from time to time, I’ll vouch for that analogy: whilst I can blaze through the phrygian dominant scale on a guitar and goof around with diminished arpeggian sweeps and other fun things of the sort, I am no musician.

How does not being happy with how easy combos are to do equate to not understanding other strategic aspects of the game? You’re making unfair assumptions.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been playing since day one. Mainly offline. Always been intimidated to go online with any fighters, but ever since I got SFV, and was basically forced to play online, I was curious about how KI plays. Reading through some of the comments, It does sound like I need to play higher level players. Also, a lot of replies seem to think that I’m saying the execution is too easy. Easy execution is a good thing… I’m talking about not having to work much to access them. For example. A game like Tekken is a combo heavy game, but in order to access those juggles, you need to do a launch move, or get them to a state where that launch move is guaranteed, which a lot of times are un-safe, or unsafe or block.Bound moves, etc.You have to work for it. With Ki, I can use a light sweep, and that’s it. IT seems what would be used as normal a spacing tool, or footsie is your access to some long ■■■ combos. This isn’t something I even thought of as a complaint, until I tried online. Speaking of online, is there a way to delete the replays?

Cleaned up the thread. Carry on… politely, please.

1 Like

It still aint hard to aviod counter breakers XD and those who fall for it too often is their own fault ‘fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me’

and combo breaking is easy to just get your timing right

Manual breakers are harder i admit

As far as I know there isn’t a way to delete replays in-game (though they get wiped automatically with each new patch), but you might be able to delete them from within the apps manager in your menu. Not really sure it’s worth the effort though - I don’t think they’re very large.

I’m not entirely sure I understand your complaint/observation here. Are you just saying that it seems weird (easy?) to be able to get into the combo system from a crouching LK? That it’s strange to get some a big reward (potentially large combo) from such a low-risk move as tossing out a cr+LK? Just want to make sure I understand the actual nature of your question.

If the above is correct, then I guess I would say yes and no. KI allows almost all normals to be canceled into openers, so yeah, hit-confirming into combo in the game is pretty darn easy. On the flip side, that cr+LK doesn’t actually start combos in and of itself - it’s the opening special that gets the combo started, and that is almost always unsafe. There’s also the fact that depending on who you’re fighting, that cr+LK in and of itself could actually be punished pretty consistently if you went to the well too many times. Many characters could sail right over with a low crush, and all characters could shadow counter punish the attempted confirm of cr+LK->opener.

So yeah, confirming into combo is truthfully pretty trivial in KI, but as with most things KI, there is a deeper layer to get into and consider as you move up in skill. If that didn’t actually address what you were talking about by the way, please let me know. :slightly_smiling:

@PuutyCuuty and anyone else trying to argue with Dank, I’d mainly suggest not bothering. He’s already been warned for trolling elsewhere, and all engaging it does is drag threads off-topic.

Characters that are noob friendly control wise should be balanced out accordingly.

Also, people who use combo assist should get damage handicap

This is a terrible idea because even average players will get to the point where execution of a difficult character will be every bit as effortless as execution of an easy character.

So for experienced players it just means you have an arbitrary set of characters that suck and an arbitrary set of characters that are too good just because of some skill ceiling they had shattered within a couple of days of playing.

Or, don’t make any characters easier to control than others with simple back and forth no charge specials

I understand the developers wanting to get more casuals into playing the game and lowering the bar of entry skill wise, but I’m not so sure that giving certain characters easier controls is the proper solution, because you end up with kids abusing it

Seems just like a cheap, easy, faulty way of addressing a standard problem in fighters tbh.

I had to go digging for this.

Tough to execute combos and inputs were never the core of what KI is about.

This is old and covering combo assist but addresses the same point, the post by @TempusChaoti

3 Likes

@Cstyles45, you accidentally put mine! Adam’s is right below this one.

You can’t do that either because easy/difficult are generally that way because they are consequences of other balance and design decisions.

Sabrewulf’s Eclipse is down+up to make it strong against crossups. Same with Kan-ra’s sand splosion being one button.

Jago’s DP has those inputs because it is meant to be strong as a reversals but to be slower when using it as a non-buffered AA.

Maya’s dagger throw input allows her to do a instant jump forward throw via a Tiger Knee input.

Inputs are designed first and foremost to best serve the characters design and strategy. How hard/difficult they are is merely a side effect and consequence.

You can’t go around equalizing inputs and not severely affect the game’s meta.

The bottom line is all characters are balanced with high level play in mind, because that’s where balance matters most. And in high level play execution differences between characters is completely irrelevant.

Think of how dumb it would be if players like MyGod didn’t have an AA that beats crossups (that his character was designed to have) just because they wanted to make it “balanced” for newbies who see a significant difference in execution requirements.

Whoops. Thanks! I’m on mobile currently so it was a little tough to do all that. Lol

I agree, a lot of these control schemes are due to balancing. But there’s more than one way to do it, therein lies the art of game development. You can choose easy simple shortcuts to balancing like making some characters have simple controls, or you can try and approach it in a novel, fresh innovative way that (god forbid) no one has done before.

Also, all the points you’re making regarding certain specials being more difficult under certain situations for “balancing” contradict your earlier sentiment that better players just get used to the more difficult controls and everything is just as easy as everything else eventually. The only people that are positively affected by noobish controls are noobs, for everyone else it only takes away the reward factor. If all I ever had to do was back - forth punch for hadouken and shoryruken, I would never have gotten into street fighter and got bored way quicker. Because learning them was like learning a new skate trick - it hooks you and leaves you wanting more due to the reward factor. The reward factor isn’t there if it’s easy to do.

What do you mean by kids abusing it. Are you just losing too much against sabrewulfs or what? If someone who isnt good with sabrewulf and will just spam auto doubles over and over again he will get broken every time. (assuming you know how to play)

To your previous posts about lack of timing, you know what manuals are right?

No, I just think he’s boring to use because the controls are too easy. Just like I would never drive an automatic for a sports car, it defeats the point.

Don’t use him then? whats the problem? If you dont wanna ride an automatic sports car then dont but why do you care if other people do?

1 Like

Kinda sounds like me…I just recently both reached the Killer rank & learned what whiff means…lol

Because when I pay full price for a game I expect to get my money’s worth and not some dumbed down fisher price toy

So this is one of those threads where it’s a lot of people arguing against pretty much one guy. In those situations, it often devolves into bickering and other stuff that I want to try to avoid. I say that because I want you to take what I’m about to say as the friendly and encouraging comment that I want it to be - and not interpret it as in any way insulting, or demeaning, or ridiculing you. It’s hard to communicate intent using text on the internet, so I worry about these things.

Anyway, when I see something like this:

It immediately comes to mind that you are probably having frustration playing against someone and either losing or having a harder time than you think you should be having because you know that person is younger, less experienced with fighting games or doesn’t work as hard at it as you. This may not be the case at all, in which case that’s fine. But if it is we can look at a couple of things.

First, we have all been there. When I was 17 I used to lose in the arcades to my friends 12 year old brother at SF 2 Turbo. It sucked, and he used Vega so in my world at the time Vega was a cheap ■■■ piece of ■■■■ character who had all the advantages and a “win” button and it was bull ■■■■. With the distance of 20+ years, I know that none of this is true and that the 12 year old was just better than me. Even more important, instead of being enraged I should have spent more time trying to learn how to counter Vega. We didn’t have YouTube then so things were harder, but even so. Also, remember that the point of every fighting game is to find something that works, and then keep doing it until the other guy forces you to stop. There is no such thing as “abusing” a move or a tool. If it is working and you don’t keep doing it, that’s just volunteering to lose. There are lots of threads on this if you want help finding them.

Second, there is good evidence that nothing in KI is “cheap” or broken. The game, according to general consensus, is pretty well balanced. Meaning for the most part there are no characters that are godlike or characters that are too weak to be competitive. The few things that people do complain about are generally higher level strategies that are actually pretty challenging from an execution standpoint. So, if you just accept that the game is fine, even though you are aggravated or frustrated, you can more easily move on to addressing your real problem. It is not that the game needs to be fixed so that the person aggravating you can’t execute. It’s that you need to figure out the riddle of beating that person.

It sounds like Sabrewulf is the source of your ire. Wulf has easy to execute moves, and he has really fast jabs that can be special cancelled. This makes him very “noob” friendly. But if you are his opponent, you can learn to recognize what he is doing and counter it. His easy to execute specials are unsafe and can be punished. Take those opportunities. Use your higher level abilities to identify what your character’s strengths are in the matchup. If you are having trouble, there are tons of people on here who will be glad to offer you matchup advice. I listen to them all the time, and only wish I was half as skilled as some of the people who post here.

Anyway, if none of this applies to you, and I’m wrong about what’s going on then, great. Sorry to waste your time - pretend I didn’t say anything. Maybe you just don’t like KI and that’s fine too. If that’s the case then I really don’t know what you want to accomplish here and I would probably recommend you just move along.

1 Like