How to handle a loss?

Why dont you go ahead and list them all.

Why donā€™t you stop being a jerk and accept that Iā€™m right? :rage:

1 Like

Thatā€™s not learning from the win itself though. Thatā€™s learning something in a match that you happened to have won.

2 Likes

I think I know the feeling. For me, a loss against some opponents leaves me just dying for a rematch. But, if Iā€™m playing ranked, a rematch is just up to fate. I get really salty and go on tiltā€“I start making dumb decisions because the frustration is still with me during subsequent matches. This is especially the case when I get it into my head that I should be able to beat the person on the other end, and they teabag or taunt during the match.

I can feel an urge to throw something well up in me. But, thinking about what it would be like to have to replace broken things keeps that urge in check. Itā€™s just a few minutes of bitterness, then.

At that point, I just have to quit and do something else I enjoy while I calm down.

Iā€™ve got one. I was in exhibition with a Rash player as General Bae a few weeks ago. He clobbered me for two straight matches, and he was one of those I-use-cannonball-instead-of-walking Rashes.

During the third match, I thought maybe Iā€™d give cHP a shot against the wrecking ball. It worked, hitting Rash out of it sometimes, and catching him on the recovery other times. He kept cannon-balling into me, and I kept cHP to knock him out of the sky. I won that match, and I learned the value of cHP against the cannonball.

You could argue that the two losses inspired me to figure out a counter to cannonball. But the third match (the win) is the one that taught me that cHP is the counter I should use.

Thatā€™s good advice. Even a different game can do wonders for salt levels. Iā€™ve come to appreciate the Assassinā€™s Creed series more since I picked up competitive fighters. Those games are dumb and easy, but dumb and easy are the perfect counters to salt.

Thereā€™s something to learn in virtually all matches, both wins and losses. We tend to learn more from our losses (for one, we generally remember them better), but that doesnā€™t mean that no learning can occur in victory.

@CVR105 - I personally really hate to lose in KI, so I understand getting mad (and especially so if itā€™s a match I could or should have won). At the same time, your level of salt is probably something that you need to address. At itā€™s core, no matter how mad a loss makes you, itā€™s still just a game, and certainly not worth affecting your self-esteem or eating habits. Losing a match in a game to someone you probably wonā€™t see again (and whom you almost certainly will never meet in real life) isnā€™t something that should be affecting your actual day-to-day. Try to take a few deep breaths after a loss, and if you genuinely arenā€™t having fun with it, then there isnā€™t much point in continuing on. Take a break and come back in an hour, or a day or two if thatā€™s what it takes.

If getting better is what you really want, then when your friends are having those MU conversations and you donā€™t understand, ask them about it. If you have questions about character strengths or weaknesses or the utility of certain moves, use the forums as the resource. Thereā€™s a lot of ways to learn things about the game - you donā€™t have to beat your head against the wall in Ranked if a knowledge gap is where youā€™re falling short.

1 Like

Iā€™d be happy to work/train with you and see if I can help you through the losses. I get salty as members of this forum can attest to, so to an extent I understand your frustration.

When you are at the point of crying, screaming and hitting yourself you should quit. The matches can get intensely personal but itā€™s really only a dance that you swing with some random. These players wonā€™t even remember your name by the end of their next match. Iā€™ve beaten some players with stars, no small feat for a scrub like me, and donā€™t even remember their names.

Other than meds and not playing, if i were you, Iā€™d turn a loss into a positive. Do 25 pushups on a loss, then 50 situps on the next. Sign off on a win. Youā€™ll build your mind and body and it sounds like you need this. I apologize for the suggestion if you are disabled and canā€™t do the workouts.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to be a psychologist OR sound like a jerk, butā€¦that all kinda sounds concerning. I genuinely think you should get psychological help. Do you usually get this angry in your normal day-to-day life? Is it only with games or KI?

I donā€™t think youā€™re a bad person because of all this, mind you. Thereā€™s no reason to feel ashamed about this. But I do think getting some kind of help to let you cope with this will do more for you than remembering ā€œitā€™s only a gameā€ or whatever.

Everything else in this thread is okay advice, but seriously; get some medical help first.

3 Likes

I feel it. My thing is i can take an L no prob. It comes with playing fighting games (any game really) life too. Lol but the thing about fighting games is itā€™s so GOT DANM personel. Not like Halo or mario kart. Where ur not the only loser. My big problem is actually gettin online to play in the 1st place. I feel anxietiy about the posibility of loseing. Witch is certian. Not saying im really bad but Lā€™s are apart of it. Like i said once i catch my 1st one in a sesh im G to G. I can play all day win or lose. But idk i get so worked up abou actually going online. That most times i end up just grinding tech insead of just plsying. that frustrates me to no end. Smh idk omgā€¦ haha

1 Like

All u need to do is breathe in, breathe out, Hold the L like a man, then slowly digest the salt. Salt is good for your health, it provides Iodine that prevents goitre complications

best way to deal with it is to swallow your pride and say ā€œgood gameā€ it is hard to deal with losses sometimes and I do admit while I donā€™t make big deals about losses they can eventually pile on.

We all have good and bad gamer days. Best thing to do is to try and keep cool when stuff gets intense in KI and believe me, it can get really intense.

Succumb to madness like I do.

LOL :joy:

I get mad tooā€¦but only when its online and someone I do not know. I dont think you would get as mad if you were at a tournament sitting next to someone.

Its the online experience where you assume the other person is saying or acting a certain way and you imagination gets the best of you.

If i feel the rage coming on I just go play shadow lab or stop playing KI all together and cmoe back when Im having fun. Mad =lossesā€¦happy = winning.

I understand the anger part. Take breaks between each match, like others have said. I do. I do a match and then take a break for about 5 min, then do another. I do this if I lose or win. Playing mad is hard to do. You are more likely to make mistakes.

Look at it this way, just because they won in KI, doesnā€™t mean they can beat you at another game.