Hisako Matchup Thread: Riptor

… Can’t more balanced than that.

As far as Yomi is concerned, there’s a counter to the counter and an avoidance to the counter, but there’s a counter to the avoidance that is different than the original counter. And it loops back on the first counter if you attempt to counter the counter-avoidance…

1 Like

Riptor v Hisako: no longer a 7-3 in S3 :+1:

I am going to shadow counter the ■■■■ out of that jump+HP now! :sparkles::kissing_smiling_eyes::sparkles:

WE IN THERE!!! :persevere:/

1 Like

It still won’t work. Riptor’s jumping HP isn’t shadow counterable because of how low to the ground she is by the time the third hit hits. She lands and recovers in time to block even the fastest shadow counter in the game. So while Hisako’s shadow counter will get faster it still won’t be fast enough to catch Riptor.

Not true at all. Sadira’s shadow counter regularly punishes Riptor jump+HP. Worst case it will hit before Riptor lands. Best (and more usual after you’ve gotten used to the timing) case it will hit as Riptor lands and catch her in trip guard frames. If you see the jump+HP is too low to the ground for the 3rd flame to catch, you can simply shadow counter the second hit instead - the shadow counter is projectile invincible, so the 3rd flame can’t catch it even if you judged wrong, and you’ll either hit Riptor in the air or, again, catch her in trip guard frames.

Sadira’s shadow counter is 8 frames, the same speed as Hisako’s will be in S3. Same projectile invulnerability property. Shadow counter will absolutely work.

EDIT: Ignore all the above - I was totally wrong :smile:

Well here is Sadira’s shadow counter not being fast enough to catch Riptor’s jumping HP and not being able to projectile invincible through the third hit:

Trust me, I play Riptor, ain’t nobody shadow countering that HP.

Welp, I’ve got no issues admitting when I’m wrong. You are certainly correct sir, and I apologize for doubting you. :slightly_smiling: I’ve gotten super used to shadow countering Riptor jump+HP’s with Sadira, but never really thought about the fact that those players were probably trying to press their frame advantage.

I’m not too worried about it though - the shadow counter will still beat any non-block options after a jump+HP (but please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong there). That’s a damn sight better than the current situation, where Sako’s SC loses to everything that Riptor does after a jump-in.

1 Like

Yeah you’ll still be able to catch people that try to continue pushing buttons after they land (which is the majority). Few players would bother to think “hm, it’s being blocked and they have meter. Better hold block in case they shadow counter and stuff my follow up attempt.” even though that should be the best option since the block stun on jumping HP is big enough to allow them to block long enough to react to whether or not you shadow countered.

It’s the meaty timing that prevents the possibility of a shadow counter. I can promise you that there are multiple characters who can SC jumping HP, Sadira included.

The video you posted shows a properly meaty timed jumping HP. I’m actually surprised you play Riptor and haven’t been SC’d. Although that can be a testament to your opponents. Or a testament to your very consistent timing. In which case, good job!

1 Like

If they press a button after jumping Hp,the SC will hit. If they don’t,they can block it.

You can also high parry her tail flip cross up no matter which side it lands on, it takes a little getting used to the timing but it’s very doable

2 Likes

Hisako’s cr. Mp beats out riptors jump HP (it trades at the worst) I’ve made quite a few riptors stop spamming jump hp against me

1 Like

Oh man - that made me feel so dumb - WHY haven’t I tried her other AA button?

Thanks man. I need to get on that. :smiley:

1 Like

well…i never thought of that either. GOOD TO KNOW…mwahahaha…

1 Like

Lol. I knew about it, but since jump+hp tends to be done meaty I don’t get to use it very much. Shadow counter is the more reliable way to deal with it I think, at least provided you have the meter.

1 Like

Here’s a taste of some of how the Riptor/Hisako MU can work in S3. Not perfect play by any means, but hopefully can give you guys some ideas on how you can pressure her, and at least some idea of some of the pressure options you might find Riptor’s using.

H/t to @Marbledecker for once again providing the youtube host for the video :slight_smile:

@JEFFRON27 - you were asking in another thread about the Hisako/Riptor fight. This should give you some ideas about how you can pressure Hisako. Much to my chagrin, the video more or less shows how difficult it is for her to block/stop some of Riptor’s pressure options :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

For me when I fight raptor it kind of depends how the other person is using her.

Was having a MU discussion with a Riptor player on the KI Facebook group page, and made a point that I thought was important to understand from the Riptor side. Dumping it here because it’s an important note about fighting Hisako and I’d like it to not get lost in steady tide of social media walls moving on :-p

———————————
I’d encourage you to focus a bit more on winning the fight in neutral, instead of just trying to out-oki and out-vortex Hisako. Riptor is similar to Wulf in that I think most players kinda ignore the fact that their char largely controls when and how neutral resolves. That means the fight can be dictated at the pace you prefer, and it is incredibly strong.

You don’t need to always run in or toss mortars at a distance. Your char can play around the ranges of Hisako far HP, forcing her to expend precious wrath to try and check forward movement. Get good in the midrange and use the spacing to encourage bad dashes that you can then punish into full combos and okizeme or, worst case, a reset to neutral.

Hisako does NOT have the ability to resolve neutral in many MU’s - her getting the touch is usually the result of an overextension on your part, or a failure on your end to check her forward dash. One of the reasons Thompxson is the best Jago is because he’s one of the few players period who recognizes this and plays accordingly. He’s not necessarily trying to get in most of the time - he’s trying to apply enough midrange pressure to elicit a bad offensive attempt from the other player. He’s largely not committing to huge plays, so he’s able to effectively stuff the opponent’s efforts to dash in and get things started.

1 Like