Help fighting RAAM and a few other things. 70%?

While I agree that you can down-back in neutral, the fact that command grabs are hard knockdowns (and they all leave you at different spacings) means that there is some really nasty crossup set play with Raam, so eventually, taking command grabs enough times is going to mean you get opened up by a crossup into one chance into level 4.

It requires some lab work (and some forum users have already tried to find some of it) but I really don’t think down-backing against Raam in instinct is going to work long term. He also doesn’t need to necessarily hit you and have you lockout to do damage, as long as he either has you cornered or knocked down (ie, from a grab) he should be good to go.

Oh, I’m not saying that you should down+back for your life during Raam’s instinct, just that you can if you’re really that terrified of getting hit into the combo system. Raam definitely has some nasty potential off hard knockdowns with his insane jump normals and empty jump->low stuff, but he’s still not really a heavy mixup character per se.

I actually think consistently sitting still to wait to be command grabbed is a bad bet, all things considered. While having to guess is no bueno, on balance I’ll take a situation where I make Raam guess along with me to just trying to “not get hit/grabbed”. It’s all for the best that I don’t have a DP, cause I swear I’d mash that sucker out anytime Raam got near me in instinct :joy: All I’ve got is a measly command grab, and I mash that for my life more often than not :yum:

I kind of treat it like blocking Spinal to a certain extent: decide what my defense is going to be, make my peace with it, and then just deal with whatever happens next. Being next to Raam on knockdown is a pure guess at that point, and there isn’t much point in dwelling over it. Try to read the patterns as best you can and just go from there.

Did I mention I hate Raam? And also, that I totally called it on the first day that his instinct was going to be the devil? :joy:

To be fair, the community is divided down the middle that way about every character. 1/2 say balanced, 1/2 say OP. :slight_smile: