Have native languages gone by the wayside since IG took over?

Wow as I just realized Taria from Mace the Dark Age would be an awesome guest in KI

I’d rather have a new mace come out, Microsoft could use an exclusive 3d weapons fighter cough cough

1 Like

I personally don’t mind everyone just speaking English.
I do like cultural representations from all around the world, but like in movies, sharing English as their main language when interacting with eachother just makes sense to me.
I do think it’s cool when they splur out phrases in their native tongues though, as long it’s translated in the sub.

I am pretty sure Aganos speaks in Greek.

What language did the Babylonian’s speak pray tell?

Well, Google says this:

“We don’t know, but it is certain that they spoke a Semitic language related to modern Arabic and Hebrew. In the second millennium, the Akkadian language was spoken and written all over Mesopotamia, although there was a southern (Babylonian) and a northern (Assyrian) variant.”

1 Like

Kan Ra uses Sumerian as just mentioned above. Though now that ishmael explained the context and reasoning I’m not as bothered that he and the others speak English.

Was it ever confirmed what language Sadira speaks?

Thai, as in Thailand, I believe.

As okay, I remember someone going on about her not actually spreading thai but that wasn’t a member of the dev team so I took it with a grain of salt.

Okay, gotcha. Wasn’t exactly sure what his background was or what exact lanuage it would be because I knew Babylonian wasn’t a language.

Yeah that was a slip up on my part haha.

Thanks for the clarification, it’s interesting to hear the official version of this.

I would love to hear Sadira speak English, though. Similar to Kan Ra, some of the (evil) things she says would maybe resonate more with me.

I think there are drawbacks to having characters speak a foreign language when it’s not complementary to or necessary for a character’ s role. I think her being an assassin would come across better in English (or another popular language?).

If you just want to highlight that she is from a certain country then that’s fine. But as a new character, I didn’t connect well with her because partly I was reading her message through subtitles. It would help with the acceptance of her character a bit more, I think.

2 Likes

That’s actually a very good point. Maybe a mixture of English and native language would better suffice, or an option like SFxT had. On the other hand I couldn’t imagine Thunder speaking English or Hisako.

1 Like